Softbank news: The Sharp Aquos Crystal is stunning and U.S. bound

jonathanm1978

I believe my original statement was probably harsh. My morning coffee has kicked in and the caffeine has started my brain cells. The phone overall looks spectacular. Perhaps I should clarify....I was not expecting the "take the edge of event" to be another device. I am impressed that sharp is possibly getting back into the game. As an owner of a Sharp Aquos HD TV (and very impressed with it), I look forward to seeing how this progresses.

I was hoping for something different, however, we don't know that there won't be something else announced. I will bite my tongue until tomorrow...

• Like 2

I hope it does get upgraded specs. 720p resolution? MSM8974 Wasn't that released over a year ago? 1.5 GB of ram and only 8 GB internal storage?

I have to admit it DOES look pretty neat with the edge to edge screen.

From what I've read online, it's only supposed to be a mid-grade smartphone, not a Top-Of-The Line...I'll see if I can find the link that said that...I think it was posted here somewhere in this thread.

I hope it does get upgraded specs. 720p resolution? MSM8974 Wasn't that released over a year ago? 1.5 GB of ram and only 8 GB internal storage?

No, you are confusing chipsets.  The MSM8974 is a Snapdragon 800 used in the likes of the LG G2, Nexus 5, etc.

The Sharp Aquos Crystal incorporates the MSM8926.  It is a Snapdragon 400, but it is newer, not available until the end of last year.

Lastly, this handset is being released in Japan with those specs.  At least in the past, everyone has drooled over Japanese handsets.  So, which is it?  This handset is good enough for Japan, thus good enough for the US.  Or Japanese handsets are not always that amazing after all?

AJ

• Like 1

No, you are confusing chipsets.  The MSM8974 is a Snapdragon 800 used in the likes of the LG G2, Nexus 5, etc.

The Sharp Aquos Crystal incorporates the MSM8926.  It is a Snapdragon 400, but it is newer, not available until the end of last year.

Lastly, this handset is being released in Japan with those specs.  At least in the past, everyone has drooled over Japanese handsets.  So, which is it?  This handset is good enough for Japan, thus good enough for the US.  Or Japanese handsets are not always that amazing after all?

AJ

Ah, I was confusing when the chipset was announced rather than when it was available. I see this phone as being good enough for Japan and good enough for the US but to me this looks like a Moto G with a slightly newer chipset and a edge to edge screen.

Not that it would be bad necessarily but it would not be something I or most of the people I know would be interested in. Even a year old G2 is, specs wise, more impressive than this phone. I'm not sure where it fits in to how phones are traditionally offered in the US. To me mid-range phones are pretty pointless when you have either value seekers/low end buyers who will get the Moto G or higher end Nexus 5 buyers who look off contract. Otherwise contract subsidy people look for the best phones on the market or the free phones.

Maybe I just don't get the purpose of a mid-range phone when there seems to be downward pricing pressure for higher end phones from the Nexus 5 and the OnePlus One.

Well, not everyone looks to get, wants to buy or have the funds to buy a top of the line, latest handset. Which is why there is low, mid and high end levels of smartphones to be sold. This device will fill in nicely in the mid range category.

TS

• Like 1

Well, not everyone looks to get, wants to buy or have the funds to buy a top of the line, latest handset. Which is why there is low, mid and high end levels of smartphones to be sold. This device will fill in nicely in the mid range category.

TS

Well, yeah, but the Moto G is like $180, The LG Optimus F7 is $250, the OnePlus one is $299, the Moto X and Nexus 5 are $349, Galaxy S4 Mini is like $400, Iphone 5C is $550. So in my eyes this phone is slightly better than the Optimus F7 and Moto G but if it is priced any higher then it runs into really stiff competition. And even at $250 the Moto G becomes a pretty attractive phone by comparison.

Not that it would be bad necessarily but it would not be something I or most of the people I know would be interested in. Even a year old G2 is, specs wise, more impressive than this phone.

Specs wise, though, how much do we really need?  And how much is "specsmanship" that arouses the e-penis, sells handsets, but provides little useful gain?

For example, on a smartphone, can you really tell the difference between a 720p screen and a 1080p screen?

Along those same lines, what if the 720p screen is new Sharp IGZO technology with greater contrast, better color fidelity, and lower power consumption?  Then, which is preferable -- 720p or 1080p?

AJ

• Like 6

Same thing as those Retina display, proclaiming super dooper resolution (that the human eye can't detect or tell the difference). You make a very good point in that last line in terms of which is more preferable.

As for arousig the e-penis, what if its a women?  :P

As for arousig the e-penis, what if its a women?  :P

This is S4GRU.  Who/what are these women of which you speak?

;)

AJ

• Like 4

Same thing as those Retina display, proclaiming super dooper resolution (that the human eye can't detect or tell the difference). You make a very good point in that last line in terms of which is more preferable.

And, to be clear, I am not being an apologist for this Sharp Aquos Crystal handset and its specs.  It does not entice me -- unless it has some heretofore unknown killer engineering screens.  But even so called hard core users need to be more philosophical about specs and benchmarks.  Have we already passed that inflection point for at least the next few years?

AJ

I figured that much AJ, I am responding to cletus comments. It may not be for most of us, but its good to see the mid range line up get another device for those that don't or can't go for the top of the line ones.

This is S4GRU.  Who/what are these women of which you speak?

;)

AJ

hmmm you got a point there too. Unless you count the closeted one we send to Banlandia.  :devil:

Anymore, when it comes to screens...almost all lines have good enough specs for what my eyes can detect.  So now it comes down to quality, quality, quality.  And that just cannot be determined in advanced specs.  My eyes need to see myself.

Robert

• Like 3

But even so called hard core users need to be more philosophical about specs and benchmarks. Have we already passed that inflection point for at least the next few years?

AJ

I think we have, in the sense that phones from late 2012 like the iPhone 5 (now 5c) and my phone, the Optimus G, are continuing to perform well enough that specs alone are not a compelling reason to upgrade. But I really would think twice before downgrading, that seems crazy. And these snapdragon 400 chipsets are actually behind the APQ8064 I am running with my 2 year old phone that I got for $160 off contract last summer.

Did I read that it has 3 day battery life? And if they price this pone around the nexus 5 pricing, Sharp could have something going here.

Maybe 3 days of standby time but definitely not 3 days of regular use thats for damn sure.

• Like 1

Specs wise, though, how much do we really need?  And how much is "specsmanship" that arouses the e-penis, sells handsets, but provides little useful gain?

For example, on a smartphone, can you really tell the difference between a 720p screen and a 1080p screen?

Along those same lines, what if the 720p screen is new Sharp IGZO technology with greater contrast, better color fidelity, and lower power consumption?  Then, which is preferable -- 720p or 1080p?

AJ

Specs wise, I'll always take the better phone.  The biggest jump in specs nowadays is the "hurry up and go to sleep" mantra that Intel is selling anyhow.  A faster SoC will allow the operation to complete faster so the SoC can go back to a deep sleep state.

Going down to a 20nm process, offering big.LITTLE, and a bunch of other nifty features aren't about being faster - it's about being more efficient.  Make my apps/web pages load faster while using less battery life.  Let my phone handle new features and updates that Google and app developers will take advantage of.  All while the end user gets huge battery improvement gains.

Sharp LCDs are already used on many mobile phones that are not sharp branded (iPhone comes to mind).  LCD specifications are separate from who is actually making the LCD - otherwise it would be impossible for apple to diversify panel manufacturers.

For example, if you compare the Nexus 4 display to the Nexus 5 display, not only do you get a MUCH sharper display thanks to going from 720P to 1080P, you also get a display that is much better calibrated.

Sharp LCDs are already used on many mobile phones that are not sharp branded (iPhone comes to mind).

Not IGZO.  You are over simplifying/generalizing this.  Reports are that the Aquos Crystal handsets will use IGZO technology screens.  Whether that proves correct and IGZO provides an advance over IPS type screens remain to be seen.  But, either way, the result can support my points about "specsmanship" and screen resolution.

AJ

Not IGZO.  You are over simplifying/generalizing this.  Reports are that the Aquos Crystal handsets will use IGZO technology screens.  Whether that proves correct and IGZO provides an advance over IPS type screens remain to be seen.  But, either way, the result can support my points about "specsmanship" and screen resolution.

AJ

While Apple has had good success with IGZO in the air - it's likely combined with Apple's excellent factory calibration that's giving the superior result.  I don't really think it is a game changer.  Google's Nexus line which is also very well factory calibrated is right behind Apple without IGZO.

I don't think working towards building a better product is specsmanship.  I can say unequivocally that my Nexus 5 is a FAR FAR FAR better phone in terms of display, performance, battery, and radio, etc.

I can't wait for the 1440p or whatever comes out next combined with the new snapdragon 805.  So far, I have never purchased a new generation of phones and thought to myself "jeez, this phone has a bunch of upgraded specs but really isn't any different than my last device."

While on the laptop side of the world, i3/i5/i7 processors, 4GB vs 8GB ram, etc aren't as important in my daily work routine.  Even Intel is aware of this, hence their movement towards scaling down to mobile devices where people are looking to do more on smaller devices.

I am just really surprised that you think we've reached an inflection point where new devices aren't meaningfully better than the last generation of smartphone devices.  I don't think we'll hit that point for a long long long time.

While Apple has had good success with IGZO in the air - it's likely combined with Apple's excellent factory calibration that's giving the superior result.  I don't really think it is a game changer. 

No, show me that IGZO has been utilized in any iOS devices.  It has been talked about, no doubt.  But my understanding is that it has yet to be implemented.

AJ