Does Sprint have plans for service for WiMax home customers when the network shuts down?

KnarfOH

I'm not sure because the CEO was bragging how they were able to deliver data cheaper as Verizon and AT&T. I think it was because Clearwire was an all IP based network? Not sure but how much does it actually cost Sprint right now to run the network.

Well, WiMax costs are skyrocketing because replacement parts and parts for increasing capacity are becoming more and more expensive.  It will no longer be cheaper to operate a WiMax network anymore, no matter how cheap it was in the past.  It's nice because the existing WiMax network has been fully paid for.  But since throwing any capex at WiMax is a drain on capex that could be spent on LTE, and in some markets, WiMax will take away precious spectrum from LTE plans, it is the end of the line of the Sprint WiMax network.

And small WiMax operators will be happy, because there will be huge amount of cheap parts they can use for their capex for years to come.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

$14/GB seems steep to me, but the fact that it never expires and to only use it when you need it seems like a benefit. I'm sure they could give a discount when buying larger buckets at a time to make it more competitive & if the home router works well I can see this company growing.

The big question is will they be able to migrate all their customers to a new device before the network shuts down. I'm sure that since they are a MVNO they charge full retail for a device & if a customer has to replace it, they might just go to a different service.

And if they do release a device that is different than the sprint device, it probably is one that is made to work with multiple carriers, but would still require FCC testing for the sprint network. That means we would probably hear about it before it's released.

And on a side note, those who keep worrying about the network crashing due to adding unlimited clear wire users, please stop. It's not your personal network that no one else is allowed to use so that you can beat everyone with your speed tests. If sprint has the capacity and wants to retain those customers, there aren't that many left. More than likely, if they offer unlimited to the home, they will charge dearly for it and throttle after a set limit. They will probably offer limited time deals on share plans to offer a better value, hoping that those customers will choose the cheaper plan and voluntarily move from unlimited. (Or offer tier's of high speed, and throttle to 3G after)

Don't forget that sprint needs customers to make money and stay in business. If they ever finish NV and re-farm more PCS, they should have little problem keeping up speed wise and hopefully 600Mhz will alleviate any lingering holes and capacity problems. Remember, if they notice a area has high usage, they can add another B41 site to alleviate the capacity constraint.

• Like 1

And on a side note, those who keep worrying about the network crashing due to adding unlimited clear wire users, please stop.

Then, maybe S4GRU should just "stop" altogether.  You seem to insinuate that Sprint has a firm handle on this, and after all, we know that Sprint has a great management track record.  Yeah, Sprint has never oversold its network and has always provided accurate info on Network Vision deployment.

Or maybe S4GRU should just stop advocating that "unlimited" data users offload to safe Wi-Fi, where possible.  They have "unlimited" data, dammit, and they sure as hell should use it out the wazoo.

Or maybe you should just "stop" giving personal advice above your pay grade.

AJ

• Like 2

I'll take LTE over WiMax any day. The battery drain on my Evo 4G, Photon 4G and Epic Touch was outright ridiculous. A product that I had to turn off every second that I wasn't using it. You also have to consider this dedub, you experienced a stable WiMax on a network that Band 41 now runs on. Anytime I've been on Band 41 it has been EXTREMELY stable and speeds have been amazing. I've been on unloaded WiMax sites and have never been able to achieve what I've been getting on Band 41.

WiMax was cool and fun, but it's time to move on to something that can bring us more.

This question isn't directed at you per se, but why are so many people still in love with WiMax? Is it just the guaranteed unlimited home internet for $50? If Sprint currently offered Band 41 with unlimited home internet for $50 would it still be the same love for WiMax?

I used Clearwire since they launched LA and I actually still have it as backup since Cox can't keep their network up all the time or some idot crashed again into the pole which holds the cable lines for the neighborhood. OC has been fortunate in some ways because I still get 10MB down on wimax.

Yes. This really is the issue with the majority of remaining WiMax customers. They want unlimited home ISP usage for dirt cheap. I can't blame them for wanting. But it's not likely to happen. Unless something like that comes out of the DISH joint venture trial.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Prices have gone up and there has been no real competition to drive prices down. Yes everybody likes to pay less.

I had a launch day Evo 4G; WiMax was downright terrible in Jax.

The airlink was very fragile and all over the board. Speeds were decent for the time (actually pretty impressive most of the time). But, the propagation was nowhere near what Clear B41 is and will be even more dated when 8t8r B41 gets rolling. WiMax was especially bad at cell fringes and ate battery power up like crazy.

Another thing to consider was how inefficient WiMax was with spectrum. LTE is much more spectrum efficient.

Sprint had the right intentions with WiMax, but the move to LTE by the industry killed WiMax and for good reason. LTE is just better, especial now that the industry has embraced the technology with innovation/technological advancement.

Sent from my LG G3 using Tapatalk

Clearwire is to blame because their objective was a staionary system while Sprint wanted mobile Internet. I remember Orlando, FL where Clearewire decided that the parks needed no coverage.

This subject goes back and forth, almost every day in my world, unfortunately! As being an unlimited Sprint and also CLEAR customer with several business employee lines, I know the value that CLEAR does offer, however keep in mind there is always ways to do things, like I have a u341 usb into a craddlepoint MBR95 running my entire home network on Band 41 using an unlimited plan from Sprint, with speeds of 32mbs DL / 14mbs UP on RSRP (signal) of -83 using a Cal Amp 24db parabolic in Aurora IL connected to just one of the 2 external antenna ports, an inexpesive soultion for those that can not get hardline internet services. Serach this forum for more information on Sprint Hotspot unlimited plans for credit union memebers. need help PM me!

Robert

4G Antenna Shop

Just an FYI off an MVNO site:

Sprint recently confirmed that it plans to decommission the WiMAX network on November 6, 2015 (next year) and transition it to Sprint's 4G LTE network.

1 year and 1 day away :(

We need a clock again!

So, let it be written.  So, let it be done...

AJ

• Like 1

Just an FYI off an MVNO site:

Sprint recently confirmed that it plans to decommission the WiMAX network on November 6, 2015 (next year) and transition it to Sprint's 4G LTE network.

sprint_letter.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I understand it is less than desirable, but find a friend with a Sprint mobile Wi-Fi device. Test reception in your home at the higher levels of the home.  My mobile Wi-Fi has both 4G Wi-Max and fallback to 3G.  Yes the rates for service are INSANE, but you would have something for your higher priority needs.

Do you have any idea what your true monthly usage is when measured in MB or GB?

There are third party services called Mobile Virtual Network Operators (MVNO) that use Sprint towers for its backbone.  I use Freedom Pop (MVNO) as my backup Wi-Fi when traveling or the home Internet fails.  Their Hub Burst is the same receiver you now have so do not let the name fool you.  It is 4G Wi-Max only as you know.

We still see some Wi-Max but mostly my device falls back to 3G and I still get the speeds you like or better.  There are plans that you can game the plan to get more for your money. It may even be possible for each family member to have their own portable Wi-Fi unit if the signal is strong enough to reach them.  When doing so, each family member can "Friend" each other for bonus Wi-Fi allocations.  Doing so, I have gained a factor of 4X my monthly allocation for what I pay for each month. When I fail to use my allocation, for a small additional fee, I can bank my unused allocation into the next period.

Hopefully somebody will come up with a better solution by November 2015 or some other Internet provider will find your block.  The nice thing - most MVNOs have a monthly service plan without a contract unlike Sprint itself.

I failed to see the SG4GU forum info on the new to me Netgear 4G LTE Router Gateway with Spark capability per Sprint.  It will be some time before Sprint lets the MVNOs have them.

SG4RU forum posting where I stumbled upon the information,  Netgear 4G LTE Router Gateway:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5554-netgear-4g-lte-router-gatewaynew-plans/?hl=%2Bnetgear+%2B4g+%2Blte+%2Brouter+%2Bgateway

There is a link to the Sprint Corp press release that I found to be interesting

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprints-first-router-to-bring-sprint-spark-to-business-customers-netgear-lte-gateway-6100d.htm?previousArticle=11318&nextArticle=2513&gotoArt=%2Fnews-releases%2Fsprints-first-router-to-bring-sprint-spark-to-business-customers-netgear-lte-gateway-6100d.htm

I may be watching this item myself.

Edited to add in weblinks

Sprint has 190mhz and WiMAX is taking 10-30mhz. So huh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wimax is set to use a different frequency block on each sector. You are looking at a mess when trying integrate an LTE network in this setup.

Just another gift from Clear that keeps giving.

• Like 1

Sprint has 190mhz and WiMAX is taking 10-30mhz. So huh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First off, Sprint never stated they had 190 MHz nationwide of 2600 MHz spectrum.  190 MHz is the entire B41 range so that can't be true at all.  Sprint has said in the past that they have on average about 100-120 MHz nationwide (some less, some more) in its markets.  Not sure how they came up with that number since spectrum maps I have seen don't even come close to that.  

However you have to keep in mind that Sprint is deploying TD-LTE which requires contiguous spectrum.  Its not FDD-LTE where if you want to deploy 20 MHz in total you have paired 10x10 spectrum so you need large blocks.  WIMAX requires contiguous spectrum too We don't know what 2600 MHz spectrum Sprint is using for its WIMAX network (BRS or EBS).  The main contiguous 2600 MHz block is the BRS2 block which is only 55.5 MHz wide of which Sprint is currently using for its TD-LTE netwrk. The rest of the spectrum blocks (BRS1, F4, E2, F1, G3) are scattered chunks of spectrum and most are not nationwide.

Look at the spectrum map made by SGT and then tell me where can Sprint deploy its Wimax network.

http://specmap.sequence-omega.net/

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Isn't this a perfect case for a WISP operator? WiMAX has also been decommissioned in my country but WISPs are thriving. Uncapped data on 2,4 and 10Mbps plans.

What's the story with WISP operators in the US?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Simplybits and Bluespan are quite popular in Tucson, Arizona.

http://www.simplybits.com/

http://bluespanwireless.com/