LG G3 or HTC one M8

Luuminator

I think the biggest difference is the screen size, not resolution.  I am spoiled by the larger screens, so when I went from a Note 2 to an S4 for the higher resolution, I kept missing the larger screen.  Going from a Note 3 to the G3, I can appreciate the higher resolution, but since the screen size is so nearly the same, I don't miss the Note 3.  Also, since the processor is a slight bump and RAM and storage are the same, there is a slight performance increase that I can appreciate.  I also like the knock pattern unlock.

As far as the screen, in general, I find that it is not bad in sunlight and extremely clear with the higher resolution, although it's probably not such a big difference from the M8.  I do find that the 3GB of RAM is very nice, and I'm loving the camera and the laser focusing, along with OIS, which is definitely better than the Note 3..  The M8 has only 2GB of RAM and its camera is a bit more controversial, from what I've read, so those could be negatives, depending.

I know people who have the M8 and love it, so I doubt you could go wrong with either one.  I hope my experience over the last couple of weeks with the G3 (and so the new hasn't yet worn off!) has been helpful.

If you haven't already go through and read the threads for each phone on here. Also if rooting/unlocking is a big deal I don't believe the G3 is able to be yet.

Luuminator, on 12 Aug 2014 - 09:23 AM, said:

So I have been reading reviews for the last 2 days about theses phone and I am still unable to decide and am looking for everyone's opinions. I plan on getting the phone thos evening. Thanks everyone

In my opinion it will come down to screen size, camera, battery life and overall performance. Even though the screen on the g3 is 1440p the color reproduction seems to be slightly washed out compared to the screen on the m8 and to me the screen on the m8 is better in direct sunlight. The camera on the g3 definitely takes better photos in day light but the m8 easily wins in lower light scenarios. Video capability is much more even but the m8 will still keep that advantage in low light scenarios but of course the g3 can do 4k and the m8 can't. Also the camera on the m8 is faster regardless of the laser focus on the g3. Whats important here is the time it take to actually open the camera app, focus, then take a pic, the m8 just does it faster. Battery life I would almost give it to the m8 only because it has 400 less mah and its still on par with what you would see on the g3(of course your miles will vary), but at least the g3 does have a removable battery. When it comes to performance, even though the g3 is spec'd slightly faster, the m8 is easily the fastest and quickest responding android device on the market even after being on the market for 5 months. Also if you are into rooting then definitely the m8. Regardless though, both devices are excellent devices and you can't go wrong with either.

In my opinion it will come down to screen size, camera, battery life and overall performance. Even though the screen on the g3 is 1440p the color reproduction seems to be slightly washed out compared to the screen on the m8 and to me the screen on the m8 is better in direct sunlight. The camera on the g3 definitely takes better photos in day light but the m8 easily wins in lower light scenarios. Video capability is much more even but the m8 will still keep that advantage in low light scenarios but of course the g3 can do 4k and the m8 can't. Also the camera on the m8 is faster regardless of the laser focus on the g3. Whats important here is the time it take to actually open the camera app, focus, then take a pic, the m8 just does it faster. Battery life I would almost give it to the m8 only because it has 400 less mah and its still on par with what you would see on the g3(of course your miles will vary), but at least the g3 does have a removable battery. When it comes to performance, even though the g3 is spec'd slightly faster, the m8 is easily the fastest and quickest responding android device on the market even after being on the market for 5 months. Also if you are into rooting then definitely the m8. Regardless though, both devices are excellent devices and you can't go wrong with either.

Strange, I had the exact opposite experience with both M8s I've used as compared to my G3. The G3's screen is perfect and not washed-out at all. Actually, the G3's screen looks better than all of the current flagship phones out there, including the iPhone 5/s/c, which is nearly perfect for color, contrast and brightness. Of course, this is on my copy, which was identical to the copy at the Sprint store. You won't immediately notice the difference in screen resolution between these two phones until you try to view certain things, like ultra high resolution pictures and especially 4K video (the M8 can't view true 4K video), then the extra resolution will really be apparent. The G3 obviously really shines with its Quad HD screen.

As for the camera, the G3 has a spectacular camera, even in low-light (for a smartphone). The M8 has a better low-light sensor on paper (larger pixel pitch), but I just didn't see the major difference in low-light, at least not enough to matter (I'm a photographer and former gear reviewer/writer for a major photography publication). None of these cameras come close to even a DX (crop sensor) format DSLR, much less a full-frame DSLR in regards to low-light, so maybe I'm just realistic/spoiled in that regard; not everybody has a DSLR camera - most people only use their handset's camera solely. That being said, the M8 and G3 cameras are the "crème de la crème" of smartphone cameras. Both cameras use a TON of denoiseing in post processing, which makes it hard to really compare the two. If we could shoot both in RAW formats, we could see what the file looks like, directly off the sensor. Where the G3 really shines is in good light, easily the best there is currently. Most people are going to use these cameras in good light, more often, so I would take that into consideration.

The 4K video capture from the G3 is what really shines. Wow, spectacularly done. You have to see it to believe it. It is really really good, especially for a handset.

Sent from my LG G3 using Tapatalk