Temporary Tower at GMO Site

I don't know these things and where better to ask: how close does microwave get to fiber?

Depends on what frequency the microwave utilizes and interference and etc.

Typical cellular microwave backhaul antennas used by carriers like sprint are 1gig + capable. You just don't want to have multiple hops as each hops degrade performance and add latency to the connection.

A few members here specialize in that type of stuff. I recall mhammet bring one of them.

Typically there would be one site with the fiber connection that'll feed nearby sites that lack fiber via microwave.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I must just say, finally having answers to questions like these is like having the flood gates open. Thanks lilo and all the guys in the know that share their knowledge. :tu:

In this one thread I've learnt more than I have in the past month.

Edited by Azimuth
  • Like 1

I must just say, finally having answers to questions like these is like having the flood gates open. Thanks lilo and all the guys in the know that share their knowledge. :tu:

In this one thread I've learnt more than I have in the past month.

On this site you can learn more about cellular technologies in a month than most in year(s). 

We are after all the premier forum for healthy discussions free of unwanted negativity in telecommunications technologies. We just mostly discuss Sprint since we most  closely identify with them due to them being our carrier but we aren't ignorant or dismissive (as a whole) of what others are doing. 

• Like 2

Ain't that a fact. Seems I will have to donate for this alone! ;)

My head is spinning and my mind is ticking at a furious rate. Things are starting to make sense now.

Edited by Azimuth
  • Like 1

One of the main towers that supplies service to my home is a GMO water tower site.  About 6 months ago the ground mounted RRUs and new cabinets were installed and the site was operational.

About 3-4 weeks ago the site was completely down again for a bit (not showing up on SCP) but about 2 weeks ago it came back online.  I drove by the site and noticed a temporary tower on a trailer was stood up with cables attached to huge concrete blocks anchoring it down.

Has anyone else seen such a temporary setup and would this be needed to convert a GMO to a full build?

A temp site can also be used where the existing site can't be upgraded and Sprint has chosen to replace it with another nearby site. if the rest of the cluster is ready to go but the new site isn't up and running yet the temp site allows them to move forward with turning on the cluster.

• 10 months later...

Not only did Sprint put the tower back together but it looks like they moved the RRUs to the top with the antenna and have removed the ground mounted ones. I think 3g has been reenabled because I'm getting great service but my LTE signal hasn't changed yet so they are probably still working on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

So I know everyone is riveted to see more news about this water tower...but yesterday afternoon I noticed a crane was again at the site.  I thought they were using it to help move the temp tower.  Apparently they were using it to add an extra set of panels to top of the tower!  B41!

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

The final chapter has been written for this GMO site conversion.  As I drove by this site earlier today I checked my phone and sure enough I was getting a strong B41 signal.  Got 50 mbps download!

So this site went from a GMO 1900 LTE to a full 1900/800/2500 build? Kickass!

• Like 2

So this site went from a GMO 1900 LTE to a full 1900/800/2500 build? Kickass!

YES!

The site's antennas were taken off completely to paint the water tower and they rebuilt the site with 1900/800 and 2500 panels (8 panels total).

Its the tower that feeds my house.  A little out of range for the B41 signal at home but I don't need it there anyway because I have WIFI.

• Like 1

YES!

The site's antennas were taken off completely to paint the water tower and they rebuilt the site with 1900/800 and 2500 panels (8 panels total).

Its the tower that feeds my house.  A little out of range for the B41 signal at home but I don't need it there anyway because I have WIFI.

Very cool!

YES!

8 antennas? 4 sector site?

• 3 months later...

e2f782750486ac2ef3305e80cbb09a71.jpg

So when there are no leaves on the trees and the wind blows just right and I'm outside in my backyard I can get a decent B41 signal from the water tower GMO site that was converted last year.

Sent from my iPhone 6S Plus using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

There is one in De Soto Missouri on New Boyd St. at MO-HWY 21 (Not visible from the north side of the water tower but a Temporary Tower is visible from the south side of the new City Of De Soto Water Tower) Not yet seen from satellite . I think either Sprint or Verizon put that up because on the new and old water tower there are Antennas made for Sprint/ Verizon bands.

BTW: I use AT&T and they now use Band 30 / 2 / 17 in De Soto. My phone can support Bands 2/4?/5/17 only.

Edited by DesotoTyler

There is one in De Soto Missouri on New Boyd St. at MO-HWY 21 (Not visible from the north side of the water tower but a Temporary Tower is visible from the south side of the new City Of De Soto Water Tower) Not yet seen from satellite . I think either Sprint or Verizon put that up because on the new and old water tower there are Antennas made for Sprint/ Verizon bands.

BTW: I use AT&T and they now use Band 30 / 2 / 17 in De Soto. My phone can support Bands 2/4?/5/17 only.

I'm not aware of any GMO sites in De Soto. Some pictures would be helpful!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not aware of any GMO sites in De Soto. Some pictures would be helpful!

I will get photos next time I'm in town

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4YL9JIvAZx7OFRaRjN5QkVtNUU/view?usp=sharing

Here is the photo of the GMO Site used by Verizon Wireless (VAW)

I think Verizon is on this GMO Site but I could be wrong. Plus this site interferes with the FM band from 106.9FM to 107.9FM.

And they removed the Old Water Tower (Landmark)

https://www.facebook.com/desotopolice/videos/1295080800575992/

Edited by DesotoTyler

Ok...? That's a COW (or something similar, not exactly a GMO). I thought we were talking about Sprint here. 

It is not a Cell on Wheels. The tower is connected to the ground via temporary supports and has a base station next to it.

I think Verizon is on this GMO Site but I could be wrong. Plus this site interferes with the FM band from 106.9FM to 107.9FM.

The Sprint equipment looks to be on the new water tower.

Sprint is not located on the water tower. Sprint is on a tower near Rock and Lueking.

I was trying to say that the Verizon site isn't exactly a GMO because it is a temporary site (like a COW) not that it was a COW. Sorry for the misunderstanding. 

The Sprint equipment looks to be on the new water tower.

Sprint is not located on the water tower. Sprint is on a tower near Rock and Lueking.

I was trying to say that the Verizon site isn't exactly a GMO because it is a temporary site (like a COW) not that it was a COW. Sorry for the misunderstanding. 

It's got to be Verizon on the New Water Tower and GMO site. Their LTE signal is weak 2.0 mi from Boyd and MO-21(@ My House). As for Sprint their signal is very Strong at 1.5 mi at the same measuring point (@ My House).

Edited by DesotoTyler