Temporary Tower at GMO Site

One of the main towers that supplies service to my home is a GMO water tower site.  About 6 months ago the ground mounted RRUs and new cabinets were installed and the site was operational.

About 3-4 weeks ago the site was completely down again for a bit (not showing up on SCP) but about 2 weeks ago it came back online.  I drove by the site and noticed a temporary tower on a trailer was stood up with cables attached to huge concrete blocks anchoring it down.

Has anyone else seen such a temporary setup and would this be needed to convert a GMO to a full build?

One of the main towers that supplies service to my home is a GMO water tower site.  About 6 months ago the ground mounted RRUs and new cabinets were installed and the site was operational.

About 3-4 weeks ago the site was completely down again for a bit (not showing up on SCP) but about 2 weeks ago it came back online.  I drove by the site and noticed a temporary tower on a trailer was stood up with cables attached to huge concrete blocks anchoring it down.

Has anyone else seen such a temporary setup and would this be needed to convert a GMO to a full build?

this happened at one of the GMO sites around me. It was a water tower site and it got installed as a GMO last December. Then about 2 months ago and temporary tower showed up and went live and the legacy panels were taken off the water tower. Turns out they were painting the water tower. Once the painting was done a crew showed up and installed NV panels on the water tower and it is now live as a full build site.

a temporary tower is not always needed to convert a GMO, as there have been several other GMO conversions around here where the new panels get installed and the site gets cut over to them. If they have to do any significant work to the tower to support the NV panels and the legacy panels have to be removed in order to do that work they you would get a temporary tower setup.

Unless there was a weather or fire related issue that occurred there, my guess would be they're converting the water tower to a Full Building so it's no longer a GMO. The temporary site is there until they can finish the upgrades.

Edit: This also seems plausible.

this happened at one of the GMO sites around me. It was a water tower site and it got installed as a GMO last December. Then about 2 months ago and temporary tower showed up and went live and the legacy panels were taken off the water tower. Turns out they were painting the water tower. Once the painting was done a crew showed up and installed NV panels on the water tower and it is now live as a full build site.

a temporary tower is not always needed to convert a GMO, as there have been several other GMO conversions around here where the new panels get installed and the site gets cut over to them. If they have to do any significant work to the tower to support the NV panels and the legacy panels have to be removed in order to do that work they you would get a temporary tower setup.

• Like 1

This makes sense.  The legacy panels have been removed so either they need to paint or need to sure up the supports at the top of the tower to support the new panels.

So all this talk about temporary sites.  Last year at the Washington State Fair I noticed at least 5 temporary looking towers?  They were on wheels.  They had LTE antennas on them and my signal was great.  Data...  not so much, which i can understand due to the vast amout of people congesting the cell sites there.  Do they bring in temporary antennas during things like this?  I do not know if they were sprint antennas or not, as at this time I really didnt  know very much about the subject.  Perhaps I was just seeing things.  Idk. 

Kevin

So all this talk about temporary sites.  Last year at the Washington State Fair I noticed at least 5 temporary looking towers?  They were on wheels.  They had LTE antennas on them and my signal was great.  Data...  not so much, which i can understand due to the vast amout of people congesting the cell sites there.  Do they bring in temporary antennas during things like this?  I do not know if they were sprint antennas or not, as at this time I really didnt  know very much about the subject.  Perhaps I was just seeing things.  Idk. 

Kevin

They're called C.O.W.s. They feed on on digital grass.

• Like 1

I believe in Washington State COW's now smoke digital grass. :lol:

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

With the recent advances, they now Vape Digital Grass. Supposedly its healthier.

• Like 1

very good point Robert.  What about in Colorado?  do they as well there?  or eat the digital brownies made from 1's and 0's?  lol.

• Like 2

you know I almost didnt get this when first looking at it.  lol.  but all joking aside do they bring in temp. towers/antennas for certain events?  I.E. state fairs, concerts, etc?

you know I almost didnt get this when first looking at it.  lol.  but all joking aside do they bring in temp. towers/antennas for certain events?  I.E. state fairs, concerts, etc?

Yes. Literally. They're called C.O.W.s.

Yes. Literally. They're called C.O.W.s.

Facepalm...  yeah I did some googling to see if you were just joking with me.  alas you are serious... 

• Like 1

I know I always see cows at the state fair also! :P

• Like 2

I know I always see cows at the state fair also! :P

My 2 year old son is afraid of cows...  they make  him nervous...

Facepalm...  yeah I did some googling to see if you were just joking with me.  alas you are serious... 

;)

For the unknowing..... C.O.W. = Cell On Wheels

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_on_wheels

A cell on wheels, usually referred to as a COW, is a mobile cell site that consists of a cellular antenna tower and electronic radio transceiver equipment on a truck or trailer, designed to be part of a cellular network.[1]

page_sprint-cow.jpg

By the way, just curious about what the capabilities of a C.O.W. is?  Are they able to achieve the same speeds as a fixed tower?  or is it quite different considering they use Sattelite?

Kevin

By the way, just curious about what the capabilities of a C.O.W. is?  Are they able to achieve the same speeds as a fixed tower?  or is it quite different considering they use Sattelite?

Kevin

I believe COWs (and the brightly decorated NASCOWs) are able to use a variety of backhaul sources. I would assume fiber and microwave are prefered, but satellite if so equipped and even T1 lines could probably be used in a pinch. 

If the backhaul is sufficient I would expect the same speeds as a fixed site. Of course in a large event site, I suspect the airlink will still be the chock point.

That's a Cell On Wheels!? It sure looks permanent.

We don't have COW's in South Africa at all. The only saving grace for high contention is the launch of LTE and subsequent channel separation.

At our "fairs" or exhibitions, with only 3G the service pretty much died. Now there's light.

Edited by Azimuth
  • Like 1

I believe COWs (and the brightly decorated NASCOWs) are able to use a variety of backhaul sources. I would assume fiber and microwave are prefered, but satellite if so equipped and even T1 lines could probably be used in a pinch.

If the backhaul is sufficient I would expect the same speeds as a fixed site. Of course in a large event site, I suspect the airlink will still be the chock point.

What speeds do your backhauls typically run at? Fiber vs Microwave vs T1 vs Satellite? Edited by Azimuth

What speeds do your backhauls typically run at? Fiber vs Microwave vs T1?

Scalable on demand up to 1gigabit plus was network vision specifications iirc.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I don't know these things and where better to ask: how close does microwave get to fiber?

Also, why would my base stations at home have multiple microwave dishes if it's an old, fixed site that surely has a fiber backhaul? Is this for *separate* backhaul for the other carriers?

Edited by Azimuth