Greetings LTE nutters

Azimuth

Welcome Azimuth! Glad to have you to the forums...as everyone has said, you'll fit in nicely...:-) Look forward to your posts

Kris

• Like 1

That is another topic for another thread. I switched to Ubnt from MikroTik and I've never looked back. MikroTik failed big time in my multi-site wireless deployment!

P.S. Thanks for the welcomes KD and digi.

Edited by Azimuth
  • Like 1

Nice to see some Ubiquiti equipment!  Love their gear, hard to beat their prices and value!  I've done a few backhaul shots with their stuff and its still kicking years later with no issues.

That is another topic for another thread. I switched to Ubnt from MikroTik and I've never looked back. MikroTik failed big time in my multi-site wireless deployment!

P.S. Thanks for the welcomes KD and digi.

Most definitely...I used to be part owner of a WISP in Ohio. We used Ubiquiti items exclusively. LOVED their equipment and their prices. Can't be beat! Plus I was drooling over their AirFiber! Coolness!!

• Like 1

I'm curious. Did you mean "hunters" or was it your intention for the title to say "nutters"?

Pretty sure "nutters" was intentional. We are "nutters" about LTE as is he.

• Like 1

I'm curious. Did you mean "hunters" or was it your intention for the title to say "nutters"?

Heh, was worried the saying might not be well known your side but COZ has laid that one to rest. :)

Quick question since I see a good few DSLR users here...I've been using Tapatalk for years; there's no need for image management since Tapatalk has their own image servers.

Who to use for DSLR images? I hate temporary image servers or ones that mess up your links (dead links across a forum are an eye sore). Is Photobucket still good?

I like Imgur. I have been a long time photobucket user but imgur seems to have a really nice gallery feature which embeds nicely on these forums. I personally just got a MILC and a variety of lenses. I've been shooting tower sites with a 50mm-250mm zoom lens lately.

Pretty sure "nutters" was intentional. We are "nutters" about LTE as is he.

I suspect many of our members "nut" frequently while reading S4GRU.  Oh, did I reveal too much?

:P

AJ

• Like 3

For sure. I'm not a WiMAX user and don't have much inside info. I'm guessing our operators use the 2500MHz-5800MHz range - pretty sure it's 5500-5800.

For the record this info is wrong. /reminder to self to find out more

WiMAX isn't very big back home which seems a great pity from what I've read.

• 3 weeks later...

Azimuth, my situation is off topic so I was going to PM you but then thought others on here may be interested as well (or possibly have a solution). Here's my issue, I have family traveling to Tanzania in a few months and they'd like to have a phone / wireless data connection where possible. In doing some minimal online research it appears that Vodacom - Tanzania offers the best coverage and is the furthest along with their wireless data capabilities. I cannot find a method of obtaining and activating a Vodacom SIM pre-trip; only at kiosks / stores once they arrive. However, I have found a vendor that I can obtain a Vodacom - South Africa SIM card pre-activated. So my question is two-fold: first, will Vodacom-South African roam on their Tanzanian counterpart, and if so is it viewed as native or would their be roaming fees? Second, do you know of any other methods of obtaining a SIM card of a Tanzanian carrier that could be activated and shipped to the US prior to their trip?

I realize that Google Voice, Tapatalk, FaceTime voice calls, and other VOIP providers are all options for the wifi hunters, but I want to give them the easiest solution that will work in the most places. Calls & texts would be most important, followed by simple web browsing, emails, and MMS messaging.

I'll have to do some digging for you. My gut feel is that it's going to be hellish expensive. I haven't heard of a single good roaming experience to date. Vodacom are also (in)famous for out-of-bundle charges.

Regards obtaining the SIM card, our country clamped down on untraceable crime and cellphones. This resulted in RICA (Regulation of Interception of Communications and Provision of Communication-related information Act) being born. An ID (or passport) and proof of address have to be submitted. I'm not sure how this is handled for anyone outside of our country.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to drop an apology here due to my hiatus...I never intended to be a "one post wonder". My other love has always been wireless and I'm currently involved in quite a few Ubiquiti projects; as such, I'm on a bit of a break from cellular.

"I'll be baaaack."

• Like 5

I just wanted to drop an apology here due to my hiatus...I never intended to be a "one post wonder". My other love has always been wireless and I'm currently involved in quite a few Ubiquiti projects; as such, I'm on a bit of a break from cellular.

"I'll be baaaack."

I was thinking recently I had not seen you in awhile. Thanks for the update.

• Like 2