Sprints New Pricing plans questions

JThorson

Because if your network isn't where it supposed to be, you will have customers leaving. That's why. Sprint knows that, and they don't want to have subs come and start plans and then within 30 days leave. This is what Tmobile is having issues with. People are testing out the all new bad-ass network that Legere touts and then finding out it's about the same as it was a few years ago, except now there is LTE and HSPA+ in major cities. Still crappy coverage outside city limits, still crappy coverage on highways, and still crappy in door coverage. Sprint doesn't have LTE 800 deployed in enough places, there are still thousands upon thousands of sites that need to have 4g/3g/800 etc accepted and so forth. It's just not ready for another pricing cut yet.

• Like 2

Because if your network isn't where it supposed to be, you will have customers leaving. That's why. Sprint knows that, and they don't want to have subs come and start plans and then within 30 days leave. This is what Tmobile is having issues with. People are testing out the all new bad-ass network that Legere touts and then finding out it's about the same as it was a few years ago, except now there is LTE and HSPA+ in major cities. Still crappy coverage outside city limits, still crappy coverage on highways, and still crappy in door coverage. Sprint doesn't have LTE 800 deployed in enough places, there are still thousands upon thousands of sites that need to have 4g/3g/800 etc accepted and so forth. It's just not ready for another pricing cut yet.

I completely agree with you and I do understand why they can't do anything just yet. Even though most sites have been converetd over for NV, I think it is a smart move to wait awhile longer.

• Like 1

I completely agree with you and I do understand why they can't do anything just yet. Even though most sites have been converetd over for NV, I think it is a smart move to wait awhile longer.

Exactly! Even if it's a few months or an entire quarter. I feel that for the new year, sprint will be announcing some new plans that will sell the customer. Their network SHOULD be up to par by then, not complete, but up to par.

• Like 2

They have no choice but to wait. I am in the Milwaukee area and my phone is on 3G still way to much. The coverage map shows LTE everywhere because it is there (only B25 for the most part), but they need to get B41 and B26 fully deployed so they can optimize the network. I was in Tampa, FL over the 4th of July and i can say that was a fantastic Sprint experience. Can't wait till i get that performance at home. 

• Like 6

I actually like Framily.  The ability to have separate bills/accts is awesome.  Here is what they need to do to make it more competitive IMHO.

1.       I think they need to drop the base price of family to $45 and drop it $5 per line added until it is down to $20 a line for 6-10.

2.       Make 3GB per line the base data allowance.  Keep unlimited as an add on for $20 a line. 

3.       Allow early upgrade after 18Mo for all easypay customers, keep annual upgrade for those paying for unlimited plan.

4.       Allow customers who are not currently under contract to join together in a family plan with no hoops.

I think #4 is a key to making Framily work.  I understand that it can be done right now with a transfer of liability, but it should be a simple process.  If my wife and I want to merge with my parents and my siblings into one family and keep separate accts, we should be able to do it easily.  They may have to make a change in the process so people can't just post a code online to get a group full, but legit family/friend groups should be able to merge.  This is the biggest frustration I think a lot of customers have with framily right now.  

• Like 5

Right now everything things needs to be about the Network, seriously, new pricing plans, and marketing will be all for not if the network experience is still poor. It'll be throwing good money after bad, as customers come in but don't stick.

AFTER the network is up to par in majority of the country, Sprint is going to need to go hard on Marketing like it never has before. I'm not talking about more that BS Framily Marketing we see now with the Hamster (WORST than the "Yes You Can" campaign). I mean they really need someone that knows how to do Marketing, almost a NV overhaul in the Marketing dept. Sprint has sucked for too long at marketing itself.

They need simpler plans, tie Tablets into new plans to make data sharing more sensible. I don't need Unlimited, I understand there is still a market for it, but I strongly believe the "Unlimited-er's" are becoming a niche/cult market. Where many like myself are discovering they do just fine without Unlimited, and even prefer tiers as it simplifies the bill without needing pay for data for each individual line. My Grandmothers line Doesn't need data what so ever, however she gets 1GB included in her Framily, that no else can use when others on my line could use that extra 1GB from time to time.

Sprint also has to tie Tablets into Share-able plans... Why is 3GB of data 10$ on Framily, but same allotment 35$ for Tablets. This makes no sense to me.

My suggestion, move to Share-able tiered data plans between all 3G/4G devices (Phones, Tablets, Hotspots). However still offer Unlimited as a mark-up NON-Share-able bolt on for individual lines that need it (Phones, Tablets Only) all other lines will share from the pool. Very simplistic.

Go full throttle on Easy-Pay, allowing for Unlimited use of Easy-Pay. As long as the device on said line has been paid off in full, the sub can utilize Easy-Pay again whenever to upgrade again, just like a Credit Card. NO contracts involved. I would upgrade every year, as I don't need but 2-3 months to pay for my device in Full if that.

• Like 2

I don't think Framily is that confusing.  What frustrates people the most is Sprint marketing this mainly as a family plan yet if your family is already sprint customers with different accounts they are not allowing you to merge easily.  If they fixed that aspect of Framily along with making the pricing more in line with the competition on the low line (2-4) end I think it can work.  

But as has been said, the network needs to get up to snuff or the plan offerings will be a moot point.  

• Like 4

Exactly! Even if it's a few months or an entire quarter. I feel that for the new year, sprint will be announcing some new plans that will sell the customer. Their network SHOULD be up to par by then, not complete, but up to par.

I feel like I have seen a post like this every quarter that I have been on this forum.

• Like 3

I feel like I have seen a post like this every quarter that I have been on this forum.

That's because every single time they post the same article about how sprint hasn't changed their plans yet. And every single time, its because the network isn't ready.

And yet the network is markedly better ever quarter too.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

well the #4 on the framily plan issues is spot on. It took me and a family member 30+ days of fighting with sprint to loop hole merge our accounts to make 1 framily. Since then I've brought 5 new customers to sprint and maxed out my framily ID, netting them more business at the end? Was it worth it to them to push me out 30 days to merge a account? probably not? should they fix it? yes.

Far as network optimizations are concerned. Portland, OR / Vancouver, WA metro area is pretty close to being "upgraded" I think we have a few lingering sites around us that need either a back haul to flip on 4g. We also have 90% of our sites with 800smr there already (3g, 3g 800smr, 4g) I'm hopen to see 800 LTE soon? but who knows... Like everyone else the 800 LTE will fix the 1/4 mile overlaps between towers that I experience 3g now? outside that I'm on 4g most of the time. 

I didn't bring up band 41 stuff because its hard to say.. I've seen activity at a few of my sites but they are also shared sites and I don't see what appears to be 8t8r equipment or least a upgraded clear b41 antenna? So not sure if ill even see it this year in my area at this point... Maybe I will? idk

• Like 1

Put more bluntly, cutting prices could undercut revenue and earnings forecasts -- and a stock price that, despite a 30 percent drop, Moffett Nathanson analyst Craig Moffet calls "preposterously high."

Ah, Craig Moffett.  What a troll!  Yep, he is the Wall Street version of a Sprint hating troll.

AJ

That's because every single time they post the same article about how sprint hasn't changed their plans yet. And every single time, its because the network isn't ready.

Yep. We need to remember our definition of "network being ready" is always moving forward too.

It used to be enough to offer 3G-levels of speed. Then, 3G+ was enough. Now, you have to blanket a market in multiple levels of LTE service, just to be competitive. To stand out, you *also* need dense small cell deployments to be ahead of the competition.

People continuously use data more, and expect a lot better speeds/latency. The benchmark keeps moving up, often faster than the deployment is.

I agree wholeheartedly with Sprints / the articles message here. Sprint shouldn't spend a penny attracting new customers in any market, until their data service is obviously better than the competitors.

In practice, I suspect this will mean no marketing of any kind should happen in a market, until Spark is 95%+ active and already running in that market.

• Like 3

Does Roger Cheng speak English?  This is his opening sentence:

The wireless carriers are only mover faster when it comes to aggressively priced plans and promotions.

AJ

Proof read, what's that?

It is unpossible.

AJ

• Like 3

Although I see Dan's point, I believe they can introduce some more competitive non-unlimited plans to move people to be less data hungry. I also like the way Tmobile does it where they only slow you to a crawl after you use your data vice charge you an arm and a leg. Alternatively, give promotions or small perks/discounts to customer that meet some criteria such as a customer for over 3 years. Knowing that I could leave at a whim on Sprint and actually get more perks (new customer deals, framily plan deals, etc) makes me feel that I need to leave to make Sprint want to have me again.

• Like 1

Please just offer $25 ul talk n text

With 1gb

$30 ul/text/talk w3gb

$40 ul/txt/talk 8or10 GB

$50 simply unlimited

Have add on options from there

Hotspot +$10 on bucket plans

Etc etc

Please just offer $25 ul talk n text

With 1gb

$30 ul/text/talk w3gb

$40 ul/txt/talk 8or10 GB

$50 simply unlimited

Have add on options from there

Hotspot +$10 on bucket plans

Etc etc

That'd probably drive down ARPU but gain customers in a heartbeat, exactly like what T-Mobile is doing. Investors wouldn't be happy, but the company would return to customer gains again.

That'd probably drive down ARPU but gain customers in a heartbeat, exactly like what T-Mobile is doing. Investors wouldn't be happy, but the company would return to customer gains again.

Yes exactly, for a limited time only something to gain momentum.

Yes exactly, for a limited time only something to gain momentum.

Once you get customers addicted to cheap prices, it is all but impossible to recover, except over a long, long period of time.  Look at SERO.  There are still millions of customers on it.

Robert

• Like 2

I believe that it is better for Sprint to offer higher value plans versus lowering prices.

• Like 1

I believe that it is better for Sprint to offer higher value plans versus lowering prices.

Add one gig of tethering to the unlimited plans for free. Make adding more painless and a fairly decent deal cost wise. Oh and the data bucket plans should have tethering for the full amount of their plan.