Signal Bars vs Engineering Screen

I have been noticing times when my phone will display a bar or two at the top, but my apps will tell me there is no network connectivity available. I go into engineering screen under the Debug menu and it shows I am connected to LTE (Band 25), but as you can see there is no connection. I dial *#0011# in my phone and bring up a different screen (I don't know the correct name) and it clearly states No Service but as you can see I have bars still showing on my phone. This even happens in places where I have full signal and normally show LTE but it lags from switching from 3G.

Screenshot_2014-07-22-11-38-261.pngScreenshot_2014-07-22-11-28-471.png

Also on a separate but slightly related topic...this is taken in the edge of hill country on the NW side of San Antonio. Is there not any B26 in this area? I thought San Antonio's build-out was completed for the most part? I drive from the NW side to the SE side along the outskirts of town, on 1604 for anyone familiar, and I have only seen B26 once and it was only for a couple seconds before changing to B25. Is there a reason my Galaxy S5 is averting using B26 when I am on the limits of B25? I have seen RSRP -118 and still no 800 :dep:

Is my phone having problems? I've noticed the lack of connectivity since the new update at the beginning of the month.

PS: I understand I have Wi-Fi Calling and I do use it when possible

:secret:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2040-bars-lie-for-lte-signal-strength-how-to-determine-your-actual-lte-signal-strength/?p=46043

Side note: Looking for data information while connected to WiFi is always going to give you invalid information.

I understand the signals lie, I have read that post, but why do the two different places not show the same information? One says Connected to B25 while the other says no service. With wifi and data coming from two different places does having wifi turned on still skew my readings? Turning it on or off makes no notable difference on either screen other than showing 3G in place of the wifi bars.

**Also if you read on the post you directed me to, it states that tri-band phones are not affected. I am using the Galaxy S5...tri-band

Edited by cyclone

I understand the signals lie, I have read that post, but why do the two different places not show the same information? One says Connected to B25 while the other says no service. With wifi and data coming from two different places does having wifi turned on still skew my readings? Turning it on or off makes no notable difference on either screen other than showing 3G in place of the wifi bars.

**Also if you read on the post you directed me to, it states that tri-band phones are not affected. I am using the Galaxy S5...tri-band

Your device earlier said iPhone 5s, so I wasn't sure what Android device you had. But yes, being connected to WiFi will not provide accurate stats on majority of devices as there is no active data session. Disconnect from WiFi and take another look and upload those screenshots if you're still seeing the same issue. Also, using SignalCheck or SignalCheckPro is recommened for knowing the status of your connection.

Your first screen actually indicates you are NOT connected. Look at the PLMN. Notice that it is a null value. This means no connection.

• Like 2

Your first screen actually indicates you are NOT connected. Look at the PLMN. Notice that it is a null value. This means no connection.

Doesnt the connection optimizer built in causes that?

I have been noticing times when my phone will display a bar or two at the top, but my apps will tell me there is no network connectivity available. I go into engineering screen under the Debug menu and it shows I am connected to LTE (Band 25), but as you can see there is no connection. I dial *#0011# in my phone and bring up a different screen (I don't know the correct name) and it clearly states No Service but as you can see I have bars still showing on my phone. This even happens in places where I have full signal and normally show LTE but it lags from switching from 3G.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2014-07-22-11-38-261.pngattachicon.gifScreenshot_2014-07-22-11-28-471.png

Also on a separate but slightly related topic...this is taken in the edge of hill country on the NW side of San Antonio. Is there not any B26 in this area? I thought San Antonio's build-out was completed for the most part? I drive from the NW side to the SE side along the outskirts of town, on 1604 for anyone familiar, and I have only seen B26 once and it was only for a couple seconds before changing to B25. Is there a reason my Galaxy S5 is averting using B26 when I am on the limits of B25? I have seen RSRP -118 and still no 800 :dep:

Is my phone having problems? I've noticed the lack of connectivity since the new update at the beginning of the month.

PS: I understand I have Wi-Fi Calling and I do use it when possible

Mostly complete, it as of June I do t believe there was any b26 LTE in San Antonio. Roundrock was the closest city I remember with b26 active when I was there.

Cause what?

The issue regarding no connection to the LTE. It could just be a screenshot of it about to lose LTE . I remember it'd be like that with donut mode sites mainly, regarding null PLMN values but still connected to the site.
  • Like 1

The issue regarding no connection to the LTE. It could just be a screenshot of it about to lose LTE . I remember it'd be like that with donut mode sites mainly, regarding null PLMN values but still connected to the site.

No, connection optimizer is not causing that.

What exactly is the Sprint connection optimizer doing? Ever since my switch to Android, I've tried to figure this out.

Sent from my LG G3 using Tapatalk

On my evo LTE it would manage turning Wi-Fi on and off, as well as LTE when I was in areas it remembered I had signal. It worked pretty well for me, sometimes I wish I had it on my nexus. I wonder if it can differentiate different LTE bands and remember where you can connect to what.

disconnect from wifi, and compare the 2 screens?  

yes its a wifi thing....

hence on most battery topics it talks about wifi saving battery....

if I had to guess its an easier signal to pick up, thus not draining the battery...So i imagine it shuts down the cellular antenna, for data...

which is why the whole Comcast wifi everywhere pisses me off to some extent...because it keeps kicking it in and out of service....same with other free wifi places.....nice while you are there, but causes major issues when you drive by, and it kicks things in and out

Sorry for the delay in response, but here is a screenshot without the wifi turned on. I no longer have a stray bar or two at the top. I will say that since posting I have gone through at least two updates. Ever since the big software update at the beginning of the month I keep getting what I'm guess are PRL updates pushed out a few times daily.

Screenshot_2014-07-23-15-48-49.png

jeremyvbk

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:18 PM

Mostly complete, it as of June I do t believe there was any b26 LTE in San Antonio.

That sucks that we are still waiting for B26 here. We were in the initial markets to get launched for LTE, but I guess only on B25 with no B26 hardware. I will say though that B41 is pretty nice here. I assume it's converted Clearwire and not NV 2.0

Sorry for the delay in response, but here is a screenshot without the wifi turned on. I no longer have a stray bar or two at the top. I will say that since posting I have gone through at least two updates. Ever since the big software update at the beginning of the month I keep getting what I'm guess are PRL updates pushed out a few times daily.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2014-07-23-15-48-49.png

That sucks that we are still waiting for B26 here. We were in the initial markets to get launched for LTE, but I guess only on B25 with no B26 hardware. I will say though that B41 is pretty nice here. I assume it's converted Clearwire and not NV 2.0

It could also be the fact that you are not connected to an LTE network, therefore making the lte engineering screen null and void until you reconnect to one. I have found leaving LTE turned on but not being in an LTE area the phone will still constantly search for an LTE signal and keep swapping between bands on the phone to find one.  So that could explain what you are seeing on your engineering screen here. 

Have you tried going into LTE only mode by dialing ##3282# (not usre if its the same for your phone, thats what I do on the Galaxy S5) and enter in your MSL.  note that if you are in LTE only mode you will not get any calls and I think texts to...