Optimizing America’s Newest Network: A Word from John Saw, Sprint Chief Network Officer

Although there is nothing really new in this piece from John Saw, I did think it was a good write up.  It's nice to see Sprint focusing a little better on its network upgrade message and getting the word out.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/blogs/sprint-perspectives/optimizing-americas-newest-network.htm

Robert

• Like 12

"On the coverage front, we’re leveraging our tri-band spectrum position to use 1.9GHz FDD-LTE for broad market coverage, 800MHz FDD-LTE for in-building coverage, and 2.5GHz TDD- LTE for coverage in dense urban markets."

I believe it has been said here that almost all Sprint sites will receive B41 as part of NV 2.0, but this wording from John Saw seems to contradict that.

"On the coverage front, we’re leveraging our tri-band spectrum position to use 1.9GHz FDD-LTE for broad market coverage, 800MHz FDD-LTE for in-building coverage, and 2.5GHz TDD- LTE for coverage in dense urban markets."

I believe it has been said here that almost all Sprint sites will receive B41 as part of NV 2.0, but this wording from John Saw seems to contradict that.

I think what he means is it will help the most in dense urban markets. Places like that really need b41 and sprint/ Saw realize that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Well, we also know that B26 does more than just in building coverage.  It also extends coverage and helps fill in coverage holes.  And many may take exception to B25 being referred to as 'broad market coverage.'  Don't read too much into those band descriptions.  

If you look at all the rural sites where B41 8T8R has been deployed and documented around S4GRU, and put that into context, you'll see he isn't talking about it will be exclusive only in dense urban markets.  He is saying that is the main focus of the spectrum.  Urban capacity.  But Sprint wants that performance to as many customers as possible.

Robert

• Like 7

Biggest problem with sprint customers is the execution of what they think the network should done at . They want all this done yesturday and think network will not improve.

• Like 1

So now sprint is optimizing their network? I thought it would be done as soon as they deploy?

Is the first release of iOS beta the final version? Or even the golden master version of iOS... Nope, always changes to be made

• Like 1

Biggest problem with sprint customers is the execution of what they think the network should done at . They want all this done yesturday and think network will not improve.

There is some truth to that, but I kind of think most people who had that mindset have left Sprint already, especially in the fallout from service disruptions when NV/deployment was at its peak, when dropped calls and data outages were rampant. A good example of the majority of current sprint subs (i.e. John Q Public) would be my parents. They shrugged off the issues with the network last year and have zero complaints with the service they receive now.

The ones that complain currently are the 3% that either can never be happy no matter what service they have, or are still in markets that are experiencing issues with upgrades or are in affiliate areas that kind of suck (nTelos, Swiftel).

Just my take. I think most sprint subs understand that the network is improving every day. But sometimes you just can't please everyone, and that's life.

• Like 6

There is some truth to that, but I kind of think most people who had that mindset have left Sprint already, especially in the fallout from service disruptions when NV/deployment was at its peak, when dropped calls and data outages were rampant. A good example of the majority of current sprint subs (i.e. John Q Public) would be my parents. They shrugged off the issues with the network last year and have zero complaints with the service they receive now.

The ones that complain currently are the 3% that either can never be happy no matter what service they have, or are still in markets that are experiencing issues with upgrades or are in affiliate areas that kind of suck (nTelos, Swiftel).

Just my take. I think most sprint subs understand that the network is improving every day. But sometimes you just can't please everyone, and that's life.

Totally agree. It was tough to stick it out with Sprint for the last 3 years but now that I'm in the other side in a mature NV market, I'm so thankful I stayed.

It wasn't like a light switch, it took time. Every day the service got a little better as towers were slowly upgraded to NV1.0 and B25 LTE slowly started to become more wide-spread. Now that B26 is live on most sites, B41 is providing great speeds and coverage (where available) and in the off-chance I do find myself on EVDO it's actually totally usable (1-2.5mbps, 70-100ms pings). HD Voice is seamless in this market and Sprint is about to start on 8t8r B41 deployment on Sprint sites. Sprint is on a roll and is already slaying the "other three" in just about every metric in the Jax market. This is what people in non-mature markets can expect to experience soon, if you aren't already.

All of this and B26 optimization hasn't even occurred yet. Once the network is totally up and running on all spectrum bands and technologies, the new Sprint network will be widely touted as the best overall network with tons of room (read: Spectrum) to grow.

Sent from my LG G3 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I got a question about 8T8R radio heads. I know this has probably been answered before but I couldn't find it on the boards so my advanced apologies.

Once 8T8R radios are installed and running, will wimax be taken down in order to accommodate the new RRHs? Or will both technologies run alongside each other until the end of 2015?

I got a question about 8T8R radio heads. I know this has probably been answered before but I couldn't find it on the boards so my advanced apologies.

Once 8T8R radios are installed and running, will wimax be taken down in order to accommodate the new RRHs? Or will both technologies run alongside each other until the end of 2015?

Wimax is already in the process of being phased out and will probably be gone completely by the end of 2015. 8t8r equipment being currently deployed does not support wimax and is (for the most part) being overlayed on Sprint's current NV footprint. Clearwire legacy sites currently have either dual B41 / Wimax or Wimax only equipment. These sites will eventually be converted to full NV builds with 8t8r or will be consolidated with co-located or nearby NV sites upgraded with 8t8r.

From what I have seen from B41 at least in my area is that the speeds are on average 3-6Mbps down and about the same for upload, perhaps they're still using old backhaul from WiMax?

Aren't you in the Jax market? I could be wrong, but I thought I saw that you were.

In Jax, I've never seen B41 slower than 15mbps with a good signal, even in the middle of downtown. Not to say that it's not possible for B41 to be slower. Some Clearwire sites probably didn't have the proper backhaul in the first place - I just haven't experienced those kind of speeds.

Aren't you in the Jax market? I could be wrong, but I thought I saw that you were.

In Jax, I've never seen B41 slower than 15mbps with a good signal, even in the middle of downtown. Not to say that it's not possible for B41 to be slower. Some Clearwire sites probably didn't have the proper backhaul in the first place - I just haven't experienced those kind of speeds.

I'm in Philadelphia lol.

Yea but in some "what the hell have you been doing markets" AKA VEGAS, as a traveler in the west....Vegas along the strip, where you know most visitors go.....absolutely and completely blows....

When you go look at the maps, there are still tons of towers that have dots????   why you would not focus on destination type areas is beyond me...

Now as for my home area in UTAH, yea its cracking right along and i am giddy as a school girl, when i see the 40+ speeds from band 41....

on the flip side...I sure hope they are able to get a move on for a downtown Ogden....as there is an LDS temple open house with 50,000 + people coming through that area from all over, in a fairly short time table....it would be a shame for sprint and the city if you cant have these things running.....

Samsonite? I was way off.

CaryTheLuggageGuy?

AJ

• Like 2

The tilt from one of the tower by my house needs to change.  The tower is a little less than half a mile from my house but I don't connect to that tower for LTE; instead, I connect to a tower that is a little over a mile away for LTE.  Because of this, my LTE connection is spotty around my house.  

• Like 1

The tilt from one of the tower by my house needs to change. The tower is a little less than half a mile from my house but I don't connect to that tower for LTE; instead, I connect to a tower that is a little over a mile away for LTE. Because of this, my LTE connection is spotty around my house.

The downtilt is there for a reason. Maybe terrain or population density creates the need for tilt on the tower closest to you. Edited by greenbastard

The tilt from one of the tower by my house needs to change.  The tower is a little less than half a mile from my house but I don't connect to that tower for LTE; instead, I connect to a tower that is a little over a mile away for LTE.  Because of this, my LTE connection is spotty around my house.  

B26 would probably alleviate the issue.

I am having the same issue. Now this this something I can report or is that something the contractors of my market will do once they complete NV 1.0?

I am having the same issue. Now this this something I can report or is that something the contractors of my market will do once they complete NV 1.0?

800 is turned in and then optimized a few weeks to months later. Optimizing the sites is a tricky process. Give it some time

• Like 2

From my experience this weekend it seems that Kansas City and vicinity is just about fully optimized. I found myself on B26 80% of the time. My home market, Chicago, still has ways to go. I can't wait for the entire network to perform this well!

• Like 2