iPhone 6 omnibus thread

sbolen

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101884269

Looks like it might not release until mid-October? This may have just ruined my day.

I don't believe half the crap that comes out of rumor websites.....

Also, I just installed iOS beta 4 yesterday and it's pretty nice. A bit buggy, but I expected that obviously and really don't care. Apparently my early 2011 MBP will not support continuity (handoff part) but it will support the messages part. I checked my bluetooth LMP version and it says I have to have verision 0x6 and I have version 0x4....Dangit.

• Like 2

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101884269

Looks like it might not release until mid-October? This may have just ruined my day.

I have been reading the same things.  Release dates are all over the board, sapphire screen issues, metal casings not having uniform color thought the part, batteries....  Name something with the iPhone 6 and there has been a rumored issue.  Only thing, the one that truly knows is Apple and they are quietly moving forward.  I think that everyone will be surprised in a good way once the i6 comes to the market.

I don't believe half the crap that comes out of rumor websites.....

Also, I just installed iOS beta 4 yesterday and it's pretty nice. A bit buggy, but I expected that obviously and really don't care. Apparently my early 2011 MBP will not support continuity (handoff part) but it will support the messages part. I checked my bluetooth LMP version and it says I have to have verision 0x6 and I have version 0x4....Dangit.

Looks like it may be time for an upgrade.  :P

Looks like it may be time for an upgrade. :P

I've wanted the MacBook Air ever since they released it with the crazy battery life... However my MBP does great. I can deal without handoff. I am much more interested in the next iPhone.
  • Like 1

I've wanted the MacBook Air ever since they released it with the crazy battery life... However my MBP does great. I can deal without handoff. I am much more interested in the next iPhone.

I have a MacBook Pro that would be Handoff compatible, but I'm still upgrading to the newest rMBP that was just spec bumped late last month.

I know, we all hate rumors but this was an interesting read to me:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/08/04/analyst-apple-could-equip-55-iphone-6-with-more-powerful-processor-than-47-model

I doubt that Apple would cannibalize their own products but this is interesting.

As I said before, I would be most irritated if the 4.7" does not have the same features as the 5.5" except for of course increased battery life which is a given since the phone is bigger.  I was sold on the 5.5" but only if they shrink the bezel and the price is right. If not, the 4.7" for me, and I would hope apple isn't stupid enough to force  people into a gigantic phone compared to the previous 5 and 4s models just for the premium specs...

I am still not entirely convinced a 5.5" screen iPhone is going to exist lol.

If only I could...I love the rMRP.

They are so much more affordable now. 13" with 2.6GHz i5 256 flash drive and 16GB RAM is now 1699.

If only I could...I love the rMRP.

Check out vytox, they seem super sketchy but they're honestly a legitimate website. I've bought stuff from there. They have Retina pro's and air's (both 13.3 inch current models) for a couple hundred or more under retail, yes they are new also.
  • Like 2

They are so much more affordable now. 13" with 2.6GHz i5 256 flash drive and 16GB RAM is now 1699.

My now sole complaint, since apple finally came out with a laptop with at least a full HD screen lol, is that they have gotten rid of every bit of self upgrading ability in the pro's. I get the air having everything soldered in, for the size you really have to, but even just leaving the ability to upgrade the RAM from a base 4gb to 8/16gb on your own and replacing the standard 128gb ssd with whatever quality and size ssd you want would save those who have the knowledge and desire to do it quite a bit of cash.

On a more positive note I got to try out the new OSX beta and it seemed quite nice. It wasn't as hard of an adjustment coming from windows OS's as I was expecting. Although there's probably lots I didn't figure out in my hour and a half playtime... Microsoft should take note how Apple is making their mobile and desktop OS's into one cohesive system. Their attempts so far (8.1) have been pretty terrible... Get more game developers on board Apple, like Linux has, and you can easily claim a way larger portion of the PC market.

My now sole complaint, since apple finally came out with a laptop with at least a full HD screen lol, is that they have gotten rid of every bit of self upgrading ability in the pro's. I get the air having everything soldered in, for the size you really have to, but even just leaving the ability to upgrade the RAM from a base 4gb to 8/16gb on your own and replacing the standard 128gb ssd with whatever quality and size ssd you want would save those who have the knowledge and desire to do it quite a bit of cash.

On a more positive note I got to try out the new OSX beta and it seemed quite nice. It wasn't as hard of an adjustment coming from windows OS's as I was expecting. Although there's probably lots I didn't figure out in my hour and a half playtime... Microsoft should take note how Apple is making their mobile and desktop OS's into one cohesive system. Their attempts so far (8.1) have been pretty terrible... Get more game developers on board Apple, like Linux has, and you can easily claim a way larger portion of the PC market.

Yeh that's another thing. I can just swap out my SSD for a 256 gb if I need to and upgrade the RAM from 8 to 16 if I wanted too. All of that would cost significantly less than a new rMBP. Now if only I could get a retina screen in this baby.I get to stick with this computer until it dies though. Not in my budget to purchase a new one right now. If it died tomorrow though, I would totally get a RMBP with 256 gb flash storageeeeeee goodness.

Yeh that's another thing. I can just swap out my SSD for a 256 gb if I need to and upgrade the RAM from 8 to 16 if I wanted too. All of that would cost significantly less than a new rMBP. Now if only I could get a retina screen in this baby.I get to stick with this computer until it dies though. Not in my budget to purchase a new one right now. If it died tomorrow though, I would totally get a RMBP with 256 gb flash storageeeeeee goodness.

macsales.com has flash drive upgrades for rMBP's. And they were spec bumped with 8GB RAM minimum on the 13", and 16GB on the 15".

• Like 1

macsales.com has flash drive upgrades for rMBP's. And they were spec bumped with 8GB RAM minimum on the 13", and 16GB on the 15".

Maybe I'll just get one and claim it on my taxes for education. Wonder how much  I'll get back.

See I looked into those ssd upgrade cage things. From what I found online the newest ones, and the spec bumped ones, are excluded and there aren't cages for them. Oh and it's not about initial upgraded ram, its about the ability to change the quality and size when you need to.
  • Like 1

See I looked into those ssd upgrade cage things. From what I found online the newest ones, and the spec bumped ones, are excluded and there aren't cages for them. Oh and it's not about initial upgraded ram, its about the ability to change the quality and size when you need to.

That's why I'm going straight to 16GB RAM. No more being cheap on something so essential to the system. As for flash drive upgrades, I believe that OWC will catch up and release flash upgrades for the newer models.

Maybe I'll just get one and claim it on my taxes for education. Wonder how much I'll get back.

It depends. I don't have an income right now, so I don't get anything back. :(

That's why I'm going straight to 16GB RAM. No more being cheap on something so essential to the system. As for flash drive upgrades, I believe that OWC will catch up and release flash upgrades for the newer models.

See that I agree on, but it feels to me like Apple is forcing people to either cheap out or spend an excessive amount more on something they could do themselves. Keeping the option open for those who want/need it would've been a smart marketing idea to edge in on Microsoft's massive share of the computer market. It's one of the few stupid moves Apple has made as they've gotten bigger, IMO.

See that I agree on, but it feels to me like Apple is forcing people to either cheap out or spend an excessive amount more on something they could do themselves. Keeping the option open for those who want/need it would've been a smart marketing idea to edge in on Microsoft's massive share of the computer market. It's one of the few stupid moves Apple has made as they've gotten bigger, IMO.

People love the Retina models, even with the lack of expandability. I want the processing power associated. I already have an external SuperDrive, so that's $79 I don't have to buy. I'll be using mine for video editing on a regular basis, hence the need for more power. The 13" retina is a good machine for that since I can't justify almost $2,000 for the 15", and even before the retina's, I couldn't afford the 15" model. And for expansion capability, they have kept the 13" non-retina model, which can also support up to 16GB RAM, up to a 1.5TB HDD, until something with more capacity comes out in 9.5mm.

I have an early 2013 15" rMBP and (my company, not me) paid nearly $3k for my spec-bumped model. 

If Apple releases a 12" Retina Air, I may jump on that and never own another device again. It's the perfect portable size.

• Like 1

I have an early 2013 15" rMBP and (my company, not me) paid nearly $3k for my spec-bumped model.

If Apple releases a 12" Retina Air, I may jump on that and never own another device again. It's the perfect portable size.

Although the air is really nice and light and portable, I hate the really low RAM specs. I can't do anything with less than 8GB RAM. I need 16 though. It's just better.

• Like 2

People love the Retina models, even with the lack of expandability. I want the processing power associated. I already have an external SuperDrive, so that's $79 I don't have to buy. I'll be using mine for video editing on a regular basis, hence the need for more power. The 13" retina is a good machine for that since I can't justify almost $2,000 for the 15", and even before the retina's, I couldn't afford the 15" model. And for expansion capability, they have kept the 13" non-retina model, which can also support up to 16GB RAM, up to a 1.5TB HDD, until something with more capacity comes out in 9.5mm.

That is true, and a very good point. I have three-four external drives, thunderbolt and usb 3.0 supported. They just don't have full HD screens as the standard. Its either sub par screens, or retina, maybe if they bumped the non retina screens up and left the price the same...then the 13.3 non retina pro might actually be a good buy compared to say a zenbook, or 9 plus.

That is true, and a very good point. I have three-four external drives, thunderbolt and usb 3.0 supported. They just don't have full HD screens as the standard. Its either sub par screens, or retina, maybe if they bumped the non retina screens up and left the price the same...then the 13.3 non retina pro might actually be a good buy compared to say a zenbook, or 9 plus.

The non retina needed a spec bump badly. I'm disappointed in Apple on that. But it did get a price drop, which is a start.

The non retina needed a spec bump badly. I'm disappointed in Apple on that. But it did get a price drop, which is a start.

Plus the price drop leads to even better deals online. As the smart apple fans know, try/test at the apple store and go online to buy. Since you can add apple care to ones you buy from other retailers there's nothing to lose:P.

Although the air is really nice and light and portable, I hate the really low RAM specs. I can't do anything with less than 8GB RAM. I need 16 though. It's just better.

I spend 90% of my day in Photoshop/Illustrator/XCode - I need every ounce of RAM I can get.