Chicago NV Issues?

bigzeto

Maps say no upgrades complete yet. So maybe they are still working on it. I guess I gotta be patient.

The Hampshire cluster runs from Elgin to Marengo. They have been working on this cluster since February. There have been lots of issues. It's amazing this cluster still is not completely live.

Robert via NOVO7PALADIN Tablet using Forum Runner

Ya, I went tower hunting a few days ago and most towers around me were NV Updated. These towers weren't yet confirmed by Robert as being live on his maps. Out of the five or so towers I seen Only the Union tower wasn't NV'ed. The towers that cover Marengo, Woodstock, Crystal lake where giving me a plenty of data errors (that day I went its got a little better these last few days).

What did you hear about the cluster and why it hasn't gotten live yet? Bad RRUs?

Also I did go to a tower that was confirmed on the map as being NV'ed. Took some data readings and And was getting a average of 1.1 to 2.1 megs. Really good for such a busy area (I was right underneath the tower tho). I did take pics of the tower. Let me know if you want me to email them to you Robert.

The Hampshire cluster runs from Elgin to Marengo. They have been working on this cluster since February. There have been lots of issues. It's amazing this cluster still is not completely live.

• Like 1

I live within the boundaries of this cluster and I've seen a lot of blocked and dropped calls recently. I have Google Voice, so I get a email for every missed call.

Also, since I commute 35 miles to work, I travel through some of the completed / in progress clusters. A few days ago I was traveling through the completed cluster on 290 and Army Trail Rd and my call got crossed with someone else and they could hear and talk to me for a good 30 seconds.

Robert: Please let us know if you get more info on what the issues have been with this cluster (Hampshire cluster runs from Elgin to Marengo).

Also, does anyone know how spectrum limited Chicago market is? I notice that out in West Elgin I'm on channel 725 and in the more urban areas its 350. This would be some interesting information to know. Does Sprint not have both bands throughout Chicagoland?

What did you hear about the cluster and why it hasn't gotten live yet? Bad RRUs?

Robert: Please let us know if you get more info on what the issues have been with this cluster (Hampshire cluster runs from Elgin to Marengo).

Dino...you probably have more details then what I have from your site visit in Marengo. I had a Samsung RF Engineer tell me this is an e-mail, "The Hampshire cluster is problematic. It was one of our first goes in Chicago beyond the FITs. We are still troubleshooting." That's all I know. I received that e-mail over 2 weeks ago. That engineer has not responded to any follow up e-mails since. Maybe he will read this and respond? ;)

Also I did go to a tower that was confirmed on the map as being NV'ed. Took some data readings and And was getting a average of 1.1 to 2.1 megs. Really good for such a busy area (I was right underneath the tower tho). I did take pics of the tower. Let me know if you want me to email them to you Robert.

Yes, please. Photos, screenshot of tests and tower location would be fantastic!

Also, does anyone know how spectrum limited Chicago market is? I notice that out in West Elgin I'm on channel 725 and in the more urban areas its 350. This would be some interesting information to know. Does Sprint not have both bands throughout Chicagoland?

The market is spectrum limited in the sense that the busiest sites have all their spectrum available in the market fully allocated. However, only approx. 10% of sites have their spectrum fully used. So approx. 90% of the market can still add more EVDO and Voice carriers if needed.

In places where they have fully deployed spectrum and still need more carrier capacity, all is not lost. They can add additional sites in the area and reduce the burden off these sites. These is a great solution for Sprint, but expensive. It is much less expensive and faster just to add carriers to existing sites than planning, building out and operating new sites for capacity.

Robert

• Like 1

I live in Lake in the Hills, right on the boarder currently between the cluster being built out to the north and west and the legacy towers to the south and east. As I have reported in other threads things have been inconsistant, sometimes data service is awesome (2gigs+!) sometimes <56k. If I am driving in the area I get dropped calls all the time, almost always it is when my phone jumping across this boarder it seems. I can't wait for this boundery to move further south east.

By any chance anyone knows of the status of the iDEN load on ESMR? I was just wondering if there is some open spectrum in 800MHz, maybe Sprint can opt to let the few 800MHz-enabled devices to use that(CDMA 800) for some time in-market. It's not a long-term solution, nor does it provide 3G(but 1x data speed peak at 507Kbps), but it does takeoff some of the load on 1900.

Viable?

By any chance anyone knows of the status of the iDEN load on ESMR? I was just wondering if there is some open spectrum in 800MHz, maybe Sprint can opt to let the few 800MHz-enabled devices to use that(CDMA 800) for some time in-market. It's not a long-term solution, nor does it provide 3G(but 1x data speed peak at 507Kbps), but it does takeoff some of the load on 1900.

Viable?

It's definitely viable. Sprint just needs to do it.

Robert

I believe the tower behind Boulder Ridge that serves LITH has already been NV'ed. I wasn't able to drive to the base to definitely confirm but from the road I was able to see the RRU were up.

I live in Lake in the Hills, right on the bo arder currently between the cluster being built out to the north and west and the legacy towers to the south and east. As I have reported in other threads things have been inconsistant, sometimes data service is awesome (2gigs+!) sometimes <56k. If I am driving in the area I get dropped calls all the time, almost always it is when my phone jumping across this boarder it seems. I can't wait for this boundery to move further south east.

I believe the tower behind Boulder Ridge that serves LITH has already been NV'ed. I wasn't able to drive to the base to definitely confirm but from the road I was able to see the RRU were up.

I haven't been to that area for a couple weeks. Were speeds any faster?

I live in this area as well (Hampshire - corner of Big Timber & Rt. 72/Higgins) - have seen a slight improvement in data speed but its still not that great. Last 6+ months have been absolutely horrible in this area - virtually zero upload speed (absolutely no way to send picture mail, upload pic to facebook, etc.). I'm glad they are making this area a priority...

So, does this mean that LTE is up and running in the 90 corridor in the NW Chicago Burbs? If so I'll be lining up for the new EVO and wife will get my 4s!

I live in this area as well (Hampshire - corner of Big Timber & Rt. 72/Higgins) - have seen a slight improvement in data speed but its still not that great. Last 6+ months have been absolutely horrible in this area - virtually zero upload speed (absolutely no way to send picture mail' date=' upload pic to facebook, etc.). I'm glad they are making this area a priority...

So, does this mean that LTE is up and running in the 90 corridor in the NW Chicago Burbs? If so I'll be lining up for the new EVO and wife will get my 4s![/quote']

It is not running this very minute, but should be very soon. It will likely be operating in the Hampshire cluster before the LTE phones go on sale.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having similar issues that tongboy was having. I'm in the Aurora/Montgomery/Oswego area, and there are times when I cannot make calls, or drop calls a lot, and data speeds are still painfully slow. The NV map shows the towers in my area as complete for the NV upgrades... but still not sure why this is happening. Any ideas? :blink:

I'm having similar issues that tongboy was having. I'm in the Aurora/Montgomery/Oswego area, and there are times when I cannot make calls, or drop calls a lot, and data speeds are still painfully slow. The NV map shows the towers in my area as complete for the NV upgrades... but still not sure why this is happening. Any ideas? :blink:

I live in Yorkville and the same thing. For the last month.

I live in Yorkville and the same thing. For the last month.

I tend to drop real bad around Route 30 between 34 and Wolf's Crossing. Perhaps when I'm driving, the tower hand-off isn't seamless?

One of my co-workers is in Oswego on Rt. 31, and she says she drops calls and can't make calls a lot. Quite frustrating :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...
Chicago in NV mode? My dropped calls are every 3-4 times and my usually steady 4g of 7-10 d/l is now 1-2. Can't wait for September so this can be fixed.

Network Vision does not have any direct impacts on Clearwire's 4G WiMax network at all. If WiMax is being impacted, it may be because more people are using it because of the issues going on with the Sprint 3G network.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 1

I'm down in New Lenox, just outside of Joliet and the drop calls and total lack of any signal (where I generally have full bars) has been bad the last few weeks. Updated PRL and its seemed to have helped some. I'll have to drive around and take some tower pictures if I ever get off my night shifts with no days off.