Sprint announces a Harman-Kardon version of the HTC One M8

Poke

There is no solid proof that the hardware is already there and this is merely a mixer on the software side.  I have read both, and I havent seen definitive answers either way.

That being said, you essentially pay 30 bucks for headphones if the phones are equal.  They make a good product.  Sure, bose and beats are better (in my opinion), but for 30 bucks those headphones would be a pretty good deal.  I wont pay 150 for ear buds, i dont care if jesus christ himself made them.

I don't know what you been reading from what you haven't but the hardware is the same.  Its just the color(which I kinda like), the software and the headphones.

I don't know what you been reading from what you haven't but the hardware is the same. Its just the color(which I kinda like), the software and the headphones.

This is true, like I posted early and then you posted, the RRU from the HK m8 has been out for a bit. Easy flash to get all the HK goodies working as long as your ROM supports it. Also the sprint m8 is heavier than the other carriers m8's (I'm assuming its due to the better speakers/extra hardware).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

This is true, like I posted early and then you posted, the RRU from the HK m8 has been out for a bit. Easy flash to get all the HK goodies working as long as your ROM supports it. Also the sprint m8 is heavier than the other carriers m8's (I'm assuming its due to the better speakers/extra hardware).

Really? Haven't heard that before, everywhere I have seen is showing 160g.  Now I have also seen it listed as 5.6oz or 5.64oz but I figure that just due to rounding the figure down.

There is no solid proof that the hardware is already there and this is merely a mixer on the software side. I have read both, and I havent seen definitive answers either way.

That being said, you essentially pay 30 bucks for headphones if the phones are equal. They make a good product. Sure, bose and beats are better (in my opinion), but for 30 bucks those headphones would be a pretty good deal. I wont pay 150 for ear buds, i dont care if jesus christ himself made them.

Watch the video...Jeff gordan specifically calls out saying NOTHING hardware wise besides color is different on this HK edition and the audio is software..... HTC PR said same as well...

Also to the other poster, sprints speakers are no different that the others... Also noted by HTC.... The diff I'd guess your seeing is other carriers offering 16GB and 32 vs Sprint only 32....that and/or rounding differently...

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

It actually pisses me off that 30 days after they release the phone they release this one.  I should be able to exchange 1 for 1 if I wanted too, but obviously cant.  6 months later, ok, I get it.  But I have had this phone for 23 days, and there is a better version of it already.

Woe to the early adopter.

• Like 1

Woe to the early adopter.

No kidding.... Like stated, it's one thing if it's a couple months after...I'd even be ok with 2...but less than a month.... Puts most people right outside their 14d return window.... Such a shame honestly...

Would be nice to see Sprint offer an exchange program of some sort...

Another thing to keep in mind is I'd expect this device to get OTAs after the regular M8 on Sprint does...yes they are close to the same but for sure OTAs will be different given the different software tweaks for HK...

• Like 1

I'm almost a little upset at the HTC as well. I bought my phone through them on the HTC champions program and paid $250 for my phone. Now a couple weeks later they release a different color way? Why wouldn't they give that option to reps who are buying it as kind of an exclusive thing to get hype going for them?

No kidding.... Like stated, it's one thing if it's a couple months after...I'd even be ok with 2...but less than a month.... Puts most people right outside their 14d return window.... Such a shame honestly...

Would be nice to see Sprint offer an exchange program of some sort...

Another thing to keep in mind is I'd expect this device to get OTAs after the regular M8 on Sprint does...yes they are close to the same but for sure OTAs will be different given the different software tweaks for HK...

I doubt the ota will be different from the software the HK m8's will have out of the box. Considering there's been an RRU from the HK directly ported to the original m8 and it works perfectly fine as long as the ROM supports the HK software.

maybe we should all wait for the M8 Prime that is being rumored all over the internet?

8+ Ultra pixel Duo camera, 805 chip, etc...?  SOLD!!! (just dreaming dough)

If we wait for that then we may as well wait for the m9.  Hell if we are willing to wait for the m9 then we may as well just wait for the m9 prime.  Hell, if we are willing to wait for the m9 then........oh wait.

Sure, if the hk edition was available at launch I would have probably gotten it myself mainly for the black and gold color than anything else but I won't cry over a pair of headphones.

• Like 2

Plus you can get the Onyx studio speaker for only $99.

That's a huge bargain right there. HK have a reputation of premium sound products and sound way better than Beats.

I doubt the ota will be different from the software the HK m8's will have out of the box. Considering there's been an RRU from the HK directly ported to the original m8 and it works perfectly fine as long as the ROM supports the HK software.

I highly doubt Sprint keeps both the M8 and the M8-HK edition on OTA at the same time same version.... Regular M8 most definitely will get OTAs before the HK one does. HK is running a different version right now, they will keep the two separate.

Regular M8 will get OTA before as it's more inline with the other global M8 than the HK is... HK will get to Sprint labs after regular ones will as it's the minority here and will have to have its own separate testing due to different files needed to support the HK implementation.

Ah I see what you meant now. My apologies I misunderstood what you said!

Wonder if the software part of the HK version could be put on a normal M8? To me it sounds great as is.

Sent from my HTC One M8

The ruu for the hk version of the m8 has been available for well over a week now.  You can flash it to your device or flash a custom rom based off the ruu.  There was even an update for it yesterday that has also been rooted and flash ready.  I have been running an hk based rom for the last week and half or so.  

Let me add:

If you are feeling adventurous and want to flash the ruu, you will need to be s-off and get superCID to be able to do so.  If you are not s-off but are rooted, you can flash a custom rom based off of the ruu and it should work just fine.

The ruu for the hk version of the m8 has been available for almost two weeks now. You can flash it to your device or flash a custom rom based off the ruu. There was even an update for it yesterday that has also been rooted and flash ready. I have been running an hk based rom for the last week and half or so.

Face Palm

Sent from my HTC One M8

Face Palm

Sent from my HTC One M8

I added more to my post after you quoted me.

Face Palm

Sent from my HTC One M8

If you are familiar with rooting, adb.....etc, the whole process should be a walk in the park.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just as a heads up the H/K edition has some bugs related to just this edition. I am getting a replacement, this WiFi update has screwed my phone up, no longer get LTE,and ha e frequent shutdown/restarting loops

I had the same problem last night. Went to sleep mad. When I woke up I tried to enable the WiFi calling when I wasn't connected to WiFi. It ran a prompt that wouldn't complete the night before except this time it worked and after reboot LTE was back. I'm already on my third hk version due to it losing LTE connectivity at most of the towers around me. I love the phone but it makes me wish I held out and used my old trusty evo.

my HK says hardware version 0005, do you know what yours was/is?

broken one is 0005, Replacement is 0005. The latest update is what caused it. New ones seems fine so far. Hope it stays fixed. 

I had the same problem last night. Went to sleep mad. When I woke up I tried to enable the WiFi calling when I wasn't connected to WiFi. It ran a prompt that wouldn't complete the night before except this time it worked and after reboot LTE was back. I'm already on my third hk version due to it losing LTE connectivity at most of the towers around me. I love the phone but it makes me wish I held out and used my old trusty evo.

Well Flashing a new rom Fixed the LTE issue on the Old device, got a new one in today, and so far 3g works great, no drops yet,LTE will be tested at work. One thing the Latest update did was enabled me to disable band 25 band 26, and band 41. So when I go to Dallas tomorrow I can disable band 25, and band 26, and see how lacking b41 actually is.