Study shows you’re probably not getting the broadband speeds you’re paying for

Paynefanbro

Some highlights among top ISPs:

Optimum Online customers saw speeds that were 3% faster than advertised, on average, and Verizon FiOS subscribers averaged about 1% over advertised speeds. Average data speeds seen by Cox customers were exactly in line with advertised speeds.

On the other side of the fence, data speeds for Time Warner Cable customers were 1% slower than advertised, and Comcast speeds averaged 2% slower than advertised.AT&T U-verse data speeds were 8% slower than they should be according to Ookla’s data, and Clear Wireless was the worst of all the ISPs tested, with download speeds that were 41% slower than advertised.

I often brag about my Optimum Online speeds. This makes me feel even better about bragging. 

• Like 2

Almost every company ive seen has it say up to X Mbps. Never a guaranteed speed. Some other companies might be different.

Almost every company ive seen has it say up to X Mbps. Never a guaranteed speed. Some other companies might be different.

Mediacom here in Springfield, I have the 20-30Mbps tier, and generally get about 23-26. Sometimes I get as low at 15, but that's short lived.

Their other tiers are all "Up to" 10, 15, 50, or 100.

I use Verizon FiOS and always get faster than I pay for. I'm on their 75/35 package and average over 85 down and 40 up. When I had time Warner I was lucky to get 75% of what they advertised on a good day.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Mediacom here in Springfield, I have the 20-30Mbps tier, and generally get about 23-26. Sometimes I get as low at 15, but that's short lived.

Their other tiers are all "Up to" 10, 15, 50, or 100.

$60 plus tax for upto 12/1. Suddenlink just bought northland cables in east Texas. So we are in an upgrade phase to be linked into suddenlink's backend. Once that happens i can move to the 30/2 for $40 i believe. Once the upgrades are complete itll actually be 30/2 :)

I typically dislike Comcast but my local Comcast bumped me up from 36mbps to 60, then doubled that for the same price I paid for the original 36. So now I get 130mbps.

Sent from my LG-LS980

When I moved into my neighborhood, they told me they would be bumping us up from like 30 to 50 at no charge. Considering I came from an overpriced att ISP paying about 40 bucks a month just for 6 down, I was pretty happy to only have to pay 29.99 for 50+. However, the one time I did need their customer service it was absolutely dreadful.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

I typically dislike Comcast but my local Comcast bumped me up from 36mbps to 60, then doubled that for the same price I paid for the original 36. So now I get 130mbps.

Sent from my LG-LS980

Id die to get 36Mbps...haha How much was the original 36Mbps?

Shentel DSL is the only wired broadband available where I live. I pay $60 for 10/1. That doesn't include the $20 for the mandatory telephone line. If I could at least do away with the telephone charge, it would be quite as bad. It sucks but that's what happens when there's no competition.

Edit: I forgot to say that I do get the speeds I pay for.

I pay for 18/1.5 and get about 20/1.8

I have FTTH, AT&T just doesn't offer much more speed for a reasonable price. I'm hoping for Gigapower since my whole neighborhood is a FTTH development.