Google Hangouts w/Voice (Was Google Voice)

COZisBack

"Get even more out of your Sprint phone with Google Voice"

Google Voice gives you one number for all your phones -- a phone number that is tied to you, not to a device or a location. Use Google Voice to simplify the way you use phones, make using voicemail as easy as email, customize your callers' experience, and more.

Google Voice isn't a phone service, but it lets you manage all of your phones. Google Voice works with mobile phones, desk phones, work phones, and VoIP lines. There's nothing to download, upload, or install, and you don't have to make or take calls using a computer.

Google Voice will let you define which phones ring, based on who's calling, and even let you ListenInTM on voicemail before answering the call. We use smart technology to route your calls. So, if you're already on a Google Voice call, we'll recognize it and use call waiting to reach you on the phone you're on.

Note: At this time Google Voice is only available in the U.S.

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/115061?hl=en

Google Voice for Android and iOS

• Like 3

Hi everybody - there are plenty of Google voice mentions here at S4GRU covering things both common and obscure. I think seeing as we are all sprint users, many of us are quite technical, and many of us use Google Voice that this space could serve as a hub for Google Voice conversation both here and for the web in general.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I have and use Google Voice with my Sprint Service. I love it! I just worry that sometime though I miss calls on my cell that ring my other lines. Anyone else experiencing that issue as well? 

I have and use Google Voice with my Sprint Service. I love it! I just worry that sometime though I miss calls on my cell that ring my other lines. Anyone else experiencing that issue as well?

I've noticed my other devices ring several times before finally coming through to my phone. I have on a handful of times had my phone with good signal sitting next to me and it never rings through - but that is not the norm.

If I were to speculate it could've had something to do with overload on the back end and. Other users have reported delays in audio, slow to connect when making a call, and a delay in making the connection when answering. I've experienced all of those things as well. Other users have speculated on a quite recent upgrade to the back end based on a sudden mitigating of these issues so perhaps things will improve for you if they haven't already in the last couple of days.

• Like 1

I have missed call email alerts turned on. That way in the rare case my phone does not ring (I'd say 1-2% of the time) I instantly get an email on my phone that I had a missed call and I can call the person back.

• Like 1

I've noticed my other devices ring several times before finally coming through to my phone. I have on a handful of times had my phone with good signal sitting next to me and it never rings through - but that is not the norm.

It tends to be the norm for me a lot of times. I have GV on my Phone, iPad, Office Line, and Home Line. And all my other lines ring but my phone...Kinda concerning....but I think it's attributed to the upgrades going on in the area.

I have missed call email alerts turned on. That way in the rare case my phone does not ring (I'd say 1-2% of the time) I instantly get an email on my phone that I had a missed call and I can call the person back.

I do get these alerts too...It is quite helpful!

I've had Sprint/GV integration since it was offered. It's been pretty great. Minor downsides:

Once in a blue moon I hear calls coming in to Gmail, but my phone never rings. Could be Voice, or could be the network. Placing calls also sometimes takes a few extra seconds to go through, but it's not a huge issue for me. The Voice app (and website) aren't great - voicemail doesn't always download to the device quickly or properly, and the transcriptions are usually humorous - but on balance, the convenience is still easily worth it.

Hoping they integrate it well with Hangouts without mangling the best features.

• Like 1

I have had a GV number forever but only ever used GV for voicemail.  Once the N5 came out and I realized I could shop 3 networks here in the U.S. I decided to port my Sprint number to GV.  I now have lines with AT&T and Ting (Sprint MVNO) but all of my calls go through GV and switching back and forth is seamless.  The only reason I haven't tried TMo is their service really sucks where I live and work.  GV and the N5 have truly freed me from specific networks and any contracts.

For those with the issue of the calls occasionally rolling to voicemail before ringing on your cell... do you have a separate Voice number? Or do you have Sprint "integration" turned on?

For those with the issue of the calls occasionally rolling to voicemail before ringing on your cell... do you have a separate Voice number? Or do you have Sprint "integration" turned on?

Sprint integration is on but the issue happens very rarely for me.

I've had Google Voice since summer of 2011. So far it has been great, almost no complaints after the initial setup.

I remember having an issue initially where I needed to press *2 to accept incoming calls, which was Google's "Voice Screening". As soon as I turned that off things were great. 

Things that bug me to this day are emoji support. Google Voice doesn't get emojis, even if I receive them on my phone. Since texts don't go through Sprint, but rather through Google, emoji support is dead. If someone has a workaround for this I would appreciate it. 

Getting free voicemail to text is great though. Why pay Sprint for this feature when Google does it for free. And being able to have a record of text messages online along with being able to text people from a different device using the same number is great. 

Another complaint is when you upgrade your device, you need to disable Google Voice and then re-enable it. Remember to not let Sprint deactivate the service, do it yourself online on Google's site. If you let Sprint disable it, complications arise because Google will not let you re-integrate your number saying there's issues on Sprint's side, and Sprint will say everything is well on their side. This was the case back in 2012, I can't contest to recent years, as I have not let Sprint disable G Voice, but just disabled it myself prior to upgrading. 

See below...

Sprint integration is on but the issue happens very rarely for me.

This is my experience as well.

Things that bug me to this day are emoji support. Google Voice doesn't get emojis, even if I receive them on my phone. Since texts don't go through Sprint, but rather through Google, emoji support is dead. If someone has a workaround for this I would appreciate it. 

[...]

Another complaint is when you upgrade your device, you need to disable Google Voice and then re-enable it. Remember to not let Sprint deactivate the service, do it yourself online on Google's site. If you let Sprint disable it, complications arise because Google will not let you re-integrate your number saying there's issues on Sprint's side, and Sprint will say everything is well on their side. This was the case back in 2012, I can't contest to recent years, as I have not let Sprint disable G Voice, but just disabled it myself prior to upgrading. 

Emoji support is pretty spotty/broken, I agree, but I rarely use them, so I don't really care.

With the integrated Sprint/GV service, I've never had to re-enable GV when upgrading, unless you mean activating it in the app on the phone, which shouldn't be a surprise.

Another point I forgot to mention - Voice doesn't really handle group SMS/MMS properly yet.

See below...

This is my experience as well.

Emoji support is pretty spotty/broken, I agree, but I rarely use them, so I don't really care.

With the integrated Sprint/GV service, I've never had to re-enable GV when upgrading, unless you mean activating it in the app on the phone, which shouldn't be a surprise.

Another point I forgot to mention - Voice doesn't really handle group SMS/MMS properly yet.

Agree to not needing to disable, upgrade line, then re enable.

Agree that it doesn't support group SMS or MMS well or rather at all.

To be clear, I can still receive and send group texts, but they bypass Voice.

Correct, same here. Group SMS and MMS bypass voice for me too. I can only send and receive them from my phone using a SMS messaging app (not gvoice app)

Like some of those in the Nexus 5 thread, I'm also now finding the delay between dialing and the call going through is largely now gone. Has Google finally fixed an old bug, or is this a sign that Google is beginning the Voice refresh we've all been expecting for a while...

Some related reading:

Google plans to kill Google Voice in coming months, integrate features into Hangouts

APK Teardown: Hangouts 2.1 Hides Hints Of Google Voice, SMS/MMS Backup, And More

• Like 1

Does anyone know with some certainty if Google Voice integration will stay around? When it first came out it sounded like Google wanted to role it out to every carrier but that hasn't happened.

Radio silence from Google since the last integration rumors a few years back...

Honestly, I think there's a 50/50 shot it'll still exist in a year. I'm just thrilled it hasn't (yet) been killed in this year's spring cleaning. Don't get me wrong, it's fantastic, but I don't think it caught on the way Google or Sprint hoped. (That could be said of Google Voice in general, but I digress).

• Like 2

I am a HUGE fan of google voice.

One of my favorite features is being able to make personal calls at my desk yet having the caller ID number be my personal phone number (using google voice to call my work phone, then connect me to the other caller).

The call transfer option, transferring from my desk phone to my mobile phone is another cool feature.

Google voice is an extremely innovative service - I hope they keep improving it.  Google+sprint is a fantastic feature and I really give HUGE kudos to sprint for offering google integration.

you can easily switch your primary (outbound) google number between your sprint integrated and your original gvoice (if you paid the $20) in the gvoice web settings.

Seeing as voice is purportedly being integrated with hangouts this year, i hope we still can keep the abilities of voice insomuch as other lines ringing, voicemail transcriptions and the ability to listen to the message but with all of the features of hangouts including emoji.  i currently use both gvoice and hangouts.

I am not particularly happy with Google right now.  Google has killed off the Gmail Notifier for OS X.  Almost assuredly, the Calendar Notifier will follow.  Moreover, changes to the Google Voice/Hangouts ecosystem have recently bungled GrowlVoice for OS X, and GrooVeIP is next on the chopping block.  So, Google Voice integration for Sprint is not as useful any longer.  The "don't be evil" company is starting to become evil.

AJ

• Like 1