Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

After a few days of driving around the Springs, I am having little to no issue with the .13 radio. Granted, both B25 and B26 signals are a bit weaker (no B41 around here to test) but based on my highly unscientific observations, it seems that when it falls back to 3G, it's for a valid reason - the LTE signal is poor enough that it's no faster (or even slower) than 3G.

I haven't experienced any fallbacks to 3G when the LTE signal is strong though which seems to be one of the primary complaints I'm reading from most of you. So based on my experience, I'm going to side with Robert's assessment of a network side issue and that the Springs is a mature enough LTE market that there are no fixes necessary in this area. Hopefully Sprint is aware of and actively working towards whatever network-based changes are necessary to fix the issues most of you are experiencing.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I am still waiting for the OTA. I am unlocked but stock everything. I have been checking every hour. Ironically my wife is completely stock and could not care less about the update. She got it yesterday. Figures.

• Like 1

I am still waiting for the OTA. I am unlocked but stock everything. I have been checking every hour. Ironically my wife is completely stock and could not care less about the update. She got it yesterday. Figures.

Save your thumb and don't bother hitting the update button all day.. Google distributes the OTAs randomly, and checking for updates multiple times per day does not change your place in line. You have to be patient or sideload it yourself.

-Mike

• Like 1

This sums up life in general.  : o )

After a few days of driving around the Springs, I am having little to no issue with the .13 radio. Granted, both B25 and B26 signals are a bit weaker (no B41 around here to test) but based on my highly unscientific observations, it seems that when it falls back to 3G, it's for a valid reason - the LTE signal is poor enough that it's no faster (or even slower) than 3G.

I haven't experienced any fallbacks to 3G when the LTE signal is strong though which seems to be one of the primary complaints I'm reading from most of you. So based on my experience, I'm going to side with Robert's assessment of a network side issue and that the Springs is a mature enough LTE market that there are no fixes necessary in this area. Hopefully Sprint is aware of and actively working towards whatever network-based changes are necessary to fix the issues most of you are experiencing.

In my experience, this applying to all carriers and not just Sprint, there are too many people that are focused on what network indicator they are getting on the phone and too few that focus on the actual network throughput and performance.

My kingdom for people who just focus on user experience. I must admit, my kingdom isn't a lot. ;)

• Like 3

In my experience, this applying to all carriers and not just Sprint, there are too many people that are focused on what network indicator they are getting on the phone and too few that focus on the actual network throughput and performance.

My kingdom for people who just focus on user experience. I must admit, my kingdom isn't a lot. ;)

I agree...well, to a point.  I've speed tested and just generally browsed on the .13 radio, and at no point did the 3G it wants to constantly sit in hold a candle to even a weak LTE signal in the same spot.  I know you aren't singling out any particular person, but my user experience is exactly lining up with which network/dBm I'm getting at current.

I agree...well, to a point. I've speed tested and just generally browsed on the .13 radio, and at no point did the 3G it wants to constantly sit in hold a candle to even a weak LTE signal in the same spot. I know you aren't singling out any particular person, but my user experience is exactly lining up with which network/dBm I'm getting at current.

I concur with this. On .17 I get 14mb LTE on .13 I get .4-.5mb 3g.

• Like 2

I am waiting on the OTA.

Can anyone with the update tell me if the update fixes the problem where the phone does not ring on incoming calls?

Just yesterday my N5 showed I had 2 bars and was displaying LTE. I dial myself, LTE turns into "R" and the phone does not ring. Missed 2 calls yesterday because of this bug.

I am waiting on the OTA.

Can anyone with the update tell me if the update fixes the problem where the phone does not ring on incoming calls?

Just yesterday my N5 showed I had 2 bars and was displaying LTE. I dial myself, LTE turns into "R" and the phone does not ring. Missed 2 calls yesterday because of this bug.

No, mine doesn't ring in certain areas of town when on LTE. I've had my phone replaced and it still does it.

• Like 1

If I disable b26 and b41 completely .13 connects fine to b25 even if I have b25 as top priority it tries to force me to b26 and dies.

We have ecsfb issues here in the MO market still with B26 so .13 is doing it job for you.

If I disable b26 and b41 completely .13 connects fine to b25 even if I have b25 as top priority it tries to force me to b26 and dies.

That seems to be my problem. I am on Band 25, and have been for quite a while. Then, I see my phone trying to connect to Band 26, then Band 41 in rapid succession, and then disconnect and connect to 3G, and sit there for hours. This only happens on a few towers downtown. This does appear to be a ecsfb issue.

The .13 modem is better than expected. Today I had to run errands all around the local Court house. Lots of elevators and basements. Not only did my N5 hold a call going down an elevator into the basement, I never went below 3g in the basement. A speed test ran at 1/1mb. Before .13 I could not get 3G in that basement. Today I did not lose it.

Edited by goodfellaslxa
  • Like 3

Download Google voice and set it up to use for voicemail (you don't need a gv #). Then there a check box within gv that says "view and display voice mails from the phone call log". Now you can get VM notifications and listen to your VM without ever opening up gv.

Works like a champ

After watching my phone's behavior on .13, I think I have a theory as to what is going on with the radio, and it has to do with ecfsb and Band 26 (and possibly Band 41). I believe what is happening is that our phones connect fine to Band 25, which doesn't have a csfb problem.  However, in scanning other bands and measuring capacity, it switches over to Band 26, either after a few minutes, or 30 minutes. When trying to connect to Band 26, it encounters the csfb problem with that particular band, and goes to 3G and stays there, which is consistent with what I've seen with csfb issues on Band 25.

This would explain why we don't see the "3g camping" on .15, the radio that is much more tolerant of csfb issues. This would also explain why we didn't see the issue on .23, which never could connect to Band 26. 

This would further explain why the "3g camping" is sporadic and not that predictable, because it only occurs when the phone attempts to connect to Band 26 after measuring capacity.

EDIT: this would also explain why some folks who used to have the problem, are not having the problem any more, because Sprint has fixed the csfb issue.

Am I way off base?

Also, and perhaps this is a question for the csfb thread, but does Sprint have a way of detecting csfb problems other than manually testing every tower? Or do I need to alert Sprint to my problems? (of course a low level CSR will have no idea what the problem is).

• Like 2

After watching my phone's behavior on .13, I think I have a theory as to what is going on with the radio, and it has to do with ecfsb and Band 26 (and possibly Band 41). I believe what is happening is that our phones connect fine to Band 25, which doesn't have a csfb problem. However, in scanning other bands and measuring capacity, it switches over to Band 26, either after a few minutes, or 30 minutes. When trying to connect to Band 26, it encounters the csfb problem with that particular band, and goes to 3G and stays there, which is consistent with what I've seen with csfb issues on Band 25.

This would explain why we don't see the "3g camping" on .15, the radio that is much more tolerant of csfb issues. This would also explain why we didn't see the issue on .23, which never could connect to Band 26.

This would further explain why the "3g camping" is sporadic and not that predictable, because it only occurs when the phone attempts to connect to Band 26 after measuring capacity.

That might make sense but I'm having all the same radio connectivity issues others are reporting and Syracuse has no band 26 broadcasting at all.

That might make sense but I'm having all the same radio connectivity issues others are reporting and Syracuse has no band 26 broadcasting at all.

Any Band 41?

Just got hit on my N5 and my N10 5 minutes later. And as soon as it was done I popped my B41 cherry in my house. And it stayed parked there ever since.

• Like 1