HTC One M8 User Thread

themuffinman

Since a few of us have already gotten our m8's I figure it is time to open up a user thread for the m8.

Its very busy day for me so I haven't had much time to play with it but so far its pretty awesome.  As far as rf performance, well of course nothing is as good as the nexus 5 but for me the m8 has been holding its own fairly well.  In my office my One(m7) would never connect to lte from my desk but my nexus would 100% of the time.  With the m8 I've been able to connect to lte from my desk but the n5 has a stronger signal by about 5db or so.  Anyway, I will add what I can later on.

• Like 5

It's available on their website and via telesales.

Stores won't get it until April.

Which means if you wan't to buy it on Easy Pay (as an existing customer) you are out of luck until April.  For whatever reason only new lines can use Easy Pay online.

We were discussing this in the now closed thread.  I like to continue it to see if somebody has some insight.

Details about the supposedly omitted parts.

Anybody notice this?

With the exception of the Sprint SKU, all of the remaining M8 SKUs feature Qualcomm’s QFE11xx envelop power tracker. In addition, all SKUs with the exception of the T-Mobile and Sprint devices use Qualcomm’s QFE15xx antenna matching tuner.

http://www.anandtech...c-one-m8-review

• Envelope Power Tracker (QFE11xx) – The industry’s first modem-assisted envelope tracking technology designed for 3G/4G LTE mobile devices, this chip is designed to reduce overall thermal footprint and RF power consumption by up to 30 percent, depending on the mode of operation. By reducing power and heat dissipation, it enables OEMs to design thinner smartphones with longer battery life.
  • Dynamic Antenna Matching Tuner (QFE15xx) – The world’s first modem-assisted and configurable antenna-matching technology extends antenna range to operate over 2G/3G/4G LTE frequency bands, from 700-2700 MHz. This, in conjunction with modem control and sensor input, dynamically improves the antenna’s performance and connection reliability in the presence of physical signal impediments, like the user’s hand.

• Like 1

Since a few of us have already gotten our m8's I figure it is time to open up a user thread for the m8.

Its very busy day for me so I haven't had much time to play with it but so far its pretty awesome.  As far as rf performance, well of course nothing is as good as the nexus 5 but for me the m8 has been holding its own fairly well.  In my office my One(m7) would never connect to lte from my desk but my nexus would 100% of the time.  With the m8 I've been able to connect to lte from my desk but the n5 has a stronger signal by about 5db or so.  Anyway, I will add what I can later on.

How is the build quality of the M8 compared to the HTC One?

The reason I asked is that I was seeking to return my N5 and I only have 3 days left to do it.  I was thinking of switching it for the new One.  But I see that won't be possible as someone already described above.  I only wish the guy that stole my GS4 had waited a few more weeks! 

Can a user confirm whether or not the font color and background color in the settings menu can be changed? Newboyx said that this should be able to be accomplished by changing the theme.

My eyes can't take the dark-ish font on white background.

Thank you!

The reason I asked is that I was seeking to return my N5 and I only have 3 days left to do it.  I was thinking of switching it for the new One.  But I see that won't be possible as someone already described above.  I only wish the guy that stole my GS4 had waited a few more weeks! 

I wonder if telesales would let you return it and send you a M8 or did you use Easy Pay?

Can a user confirm whether or not the font color and background color in the settings menu can be changed? Newboyx said that this should be able to be accomplished by changing the theme.

My eyes can't take the dark-ish font on white background.

Thank you!

I don't have one but I watched a review and it did indeed change when they changed the theme.

• Like 2

It was easy pay, unfortunately.

One last idea.  Return the Nexus 5 and get another phone, on April 10th or whatever day it's going to be in stores return the 2nd phone and get the M8.

One last idea.  Return the Nexus 5 and get another phone, on April 10th or whatever day it's going to be in stores return the 2nd phone and get the M8.

I think there are restocking fees now. Not 100% on that though.

How is the build quality of the M8 compared to the HTC One?

The build quality is even better if that's even possible.  Well made device no doubt.

• Like 1

Is there a ##Debug# menu?  Also can you see if there's a PRL Write option under ##DATA#?

The debug menu is there but I don't see the prl write option.

• Like 1

Sprint surely got tired of people using the PRL to force constant roaming on VZW 3G.

It sure was an easy and convenient way to change PRLs.  Shame a bunch of people who can't hold up their end of the contract ruined that useful function.

• Like 1