Sprint relocated site

I was at the Pearland town center and noticed that the sprint network vision equipment was gone from the tower and the legacy equipment remained. I see behind the tower that there is a new shorter monopole tower and I looked closer and saw that the equipment was relocated to a site that is a few feet away from the old one. Why would Sprint relocate to a new site that is literally less than 10 feet away from eachother?

I will try to get pictures I was driving and was unable to take any

The old tower could be slated for decommission once everything is operational on the new site, this happened in my home town of Bristol.  A tower that was home to Sprint CDMA, Nextel iDEN, Verizon, and AT&T had to removed due a commercial development that was to be constructed where the old site once stood.  Crown Castle built a new site across the road to accommodate all the wireless providers, plus the city added a public safety 800 antenna for enhanced coverage.  Sprint installed legacy equipment on this site that was on the old site, crews were not around to add the new equipment at the time.  

Old Tower

512d378a8086d.preview-300.jpg

Old tower 

23419652_SA.jpg

New cell site being constructed (Cell site completed and operational August 2013)

51fc000ce470f.preview-300.jpg

• Like 1

Its nice to see someone else in Pearland! I know all the land rights in silver lake are screwy so maybe that's whySent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Wow I thought I was the only one. That is true... I hope sprint adds a few towers here because the new site is shorter and it served many many people and it covered a good portion of silverlake. Not to mention the high data traffic during the weekends.

The old tower could be slated for decommission once everything is operational on the new site, this happened in my home town of Bristol.  A tower that was home to Sprint CDMA, Nextel iDEN, Verizon, and AT&T had to removed due a commercial development that was to be constructed where the old site once stood.  Crown Castle built a new site across the road to accommodate all the wireless providers, plus the city added a public safety 800 antenna for enhanced coverage.  Sprint installed legacy equipment on this site that was on the old site, crews were not around to add the new equipment at the time.  

Old Tower

512d378a8086d.preview-300.jpg

Old tower 

23419652_SA.jpg

New cell site being constructed (Cell site completed and operational August 2013)

51fc000ce470f.preview-300.jpg

The old site is probably going to be decommissioned because the only carrier located on it was Sprint and In the past Nextel

Wow I thought I was the only one. That is true... I hope sprint adds a few towers here because the new site is shorter and it served many many people and it covered a good portion of silverlake. Not to mention the high data traffic during the weekends.

Sprint's only adding a handfull of new sites to there network, so don't get your hopes up.  

There shouldn't be much of a signal difference on 1900 1x and 3G EV-DO as far a the service goes on that shorter site.  Once CDMA 800 is live at that site you will see better coverage.  

I have to say that the down tilt is still not adjusted as I lost LTE about 1 mile away.

This will be fixed eventually when crews come to finalize the tilt and aiming of the panels if there is a problem.  

Well I'm hoping they add some small cells to the mall eventually. Because data over on that side of town generally sucks for all carriers. Band 26 is great all over pearland though

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Well I'm hoping they add some small cells to the mall eventually. Because data over on that side of town generally sucks for all carriers. Band 26 is great all over pearland thoughSent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Data has improved greatly in that area with LTE, I was at a restaurant (Gringos) and I was the only one with a fast data connection. My friend with Verizon had 1 bar of 1X and my other friend had ATT which had 1 bar of HSPA (4G). They were both unusable but I had a LTE connection and was able to open and load Instagram in a matter of seconds while the others struggled. This is because of the Sprint tower being right next to the actual mall, it would be nice to have small cells but it's not needed while on LTE there but 3G is a different story. 3G EVDO in Pearland is equivalent to 1X so people with Non-LTE phones are never able to send even an iMessage.

Data has improved greatly in that area with LTE, I was at a restaurant (Gringos) and I was the only one with a fast data connection. My friend with Verizon had 1 bar of 1X and my other friend had ATT which had 1 bar of HSPA (4G). They were both unusable but I had a LTE connection and was able to open and load Instagram in a matter of seconds while the others struggled. This is because of the Sprint tower being right next to the actual mall, it would be nice to have small cells but it's not needed while on LTE there but 3G is a different story. 3G EVDO in Pearland is equivalent to 1X so people with Non-LTE phones are never able to send even an iMessage.

I know what you are saying. When I got my first LTE phone LTE was great. But then it slowly deteriorated. Now its back to the same way and better. On the old side by that Kroger's and DQ it is FAST. Also 3G and even 1x have become usable in my opinion.

• Like 1

That's the experience that a lot of users will see. The network will fly, slow down, and stabilize, once the surrounding sites are built out

I'm talking like 32 Mbps on band 25 though. The limit is 37.5

I'm talking like 32 Mbps on band 25 though. The limit is 37.5

Yeah but it is almost impossible to get 37.5. Hell, 32 would be if you were the only user on the site.

Im from pearland as well, The LTE Coverage here has vastly improved over the past 6 months. I wondered how long it would take them to get it going around 288. I live close to the Foodtown off 518 and very fortunate to be right in the middle of two towers. I did find it funny that im starting to connect to Band 26 over band 25 at my house, I would have close to -90DBM inside my house.

Im from pearland as well, The LTE Coverage here has vastly improved over the past 6 months. I wondered how long it would take them to get it going around 288. I live close to the Foodtown off 518 and very fortunate to be right in the middle of two towers. I did find it funny that im starting to connect to Band 26 over band 25 at my house, I would have close to -90DBM inside my house.

Whoa. I live right by you then. Small world. Its the tower that's on Max Rd that just got updated. I don't know if it has b41 but I know on the coverage map it isn't a "turbo" tower.

Whoa. I live right by you then. Small world. Its the tower that's on Max Rd that just got updated. I don't know if it has b41 but I know on the coverage map it isn't a "turbo" tower.

Yea small world man, the fastest I've seen from that tower is around 25mbs down and 9mbs up on band 25. Im extremely happy it was such a coincidence when i moved into our house that sprint tower was right around the corner lol.

Yea small world man, the fastest I've seen from that tower is around 25mbs down and 9mbs up on band 25. Im extremely happy it was such a coincidence when i moved into our house that sprint tower was right around the corner lol.

I don't think its backhaul has been upgraded. And I don't know if it has all three bands deployed.