How to Spot Sprint 8T8R TD-LTE RRHs (Nokia Networks)

lilotimz

Nokia Networks
(formerly Nokia Solutions & Network [NSN])
FZHJ Flexi Multiradio 10 BTS RF module 2.6ghz
Model: VBNFZHJ-01 / FZHN

Assigned Vendor Region

fzrCqbQ.jpg

Jb2MGaV.jpg

Full Build Ericsson upgraded Network Vision + Nokia 8T8R setup

zxSIaEtl.jpg

pK3iHlMl.jpg

mPxh6mNl.jpg

SaOBaoD.png

a56e35L.png

pfqIt8nl.jpg

mJYpVKHl.jpg

Special Case "Tri-Band Antenna" Setup
Deployed for engineering reasons these sites do not deploy a dedicated 8T8R antenna for 2.5 but instead opts for a three frequency antenna that supports 800 MHz + 1900 MHz and 2500 MHz. Due to size constraints for the antennas they limit the 8T8R RRUs to 4T4R mode (4 Jumpers from radios to antennas).

Oug6YFF.jpg

HUHTYZL.png

DbwS0Oz.png

cTS6j7N.png

TongYu Communications 8T8R B41 Antenna

gDVs0mJ.png

wstjpU9l.jpg

• Like 14

I love that this thread is up because I believe these are the radios that were used to show the 2.6Gb/s lab tests with LTE-A.  But wont these be housed in the cabinet at the base, and not visible?  How will we tell if they are installed?  If I am off base, please correct me, but I do not know as much about this stuff.  

Still super excited, and love seeing real photos... are these already being used in spark markets, or is it going to be like the Network vision deployment, with different areas being deployed by different vendors? 

I love that this thread is up because I believe these are the radios that were used to show the 2.6Gb/s lab tests with LTE-A.  But wont these be housed in the cabinet at the base, and not visible?  How will we tell if they are installed?  If I am off base, please correct me, but I do not know as much about this stuff.  

Still super excited, and love seeing real photos... are these already being used in spark markets, or is it going to be like the Network vision deployment, with different areas being deployed by different vendors? 

These are remote radio heads mounted by the antennas. 

No. Current spark markets utilize either Huawei dual mode TDD-LTE / Wimax equipment (which will be decommissioned at the end of the year) or an older model 4T4R Samsung dual mode Wimax / TDD-LTE RRH. NSN will be deploying over all of the Ericsson territory. ALU and STA will deploy over theirs. 

I guess my question is: will the other vendors have the same theoretical abilities as the NSN equipment?  AKA, will the experience be the same across the country?

I guess my question is: will the other vendors have the same theoretical abilities as the NSN equipment?  AKA, will the experience be the same across the country?

Yes.

• Like 4

I'm sure this has been answered and I apologize if it's been repeated but these RRUs don't just hook up to the same NV panels, they need their own panels, correct?

That's correct. NV panels house only 800/1900MHz antennas. The new 2600 antennas will be housed in an additional panel. They may come out with a triple band panel in the future, but that seems unlikely as Band 41 will have considerably different deployment scenarios than the other frequencies. Should be different enough that a completely separate panel will always be warranted.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

I'm sure this has been answered and I apologize if it's been repeated but these RRUs don't just hook up to the same NV panels, they need their own panels, correct?

There are 8 antennas in every band 41 panel, and there is talk of NSN deploying 6-sector sites, meaning we will likely see 2 new panels per existing sector. They should fit perfectly on either side of the Ericsson panel where the legacy panels were.

The caveat, of course, is that the site needs to be fully 3G accepted so that the legacy equipment can be removed. This is one of the reasons we're seeing Ericsson hastily going back and doing 3G acceptances all over the place right now.

• Like 2

There are 8 antennas in every band 41 panel, and there is talk of NSN deploying 6-sector sites, meaning we will likely see 2 new panels per existing sector. They should fit perfectly on either side of the Ericsson panel where the legacy panels were.

The caveat, of course, is that the site needs to be fully 3G accepted so that the legacy equipment can be removed. This is one of the reasons we're seeing Ericsson hastily going back and doing 3G acceptances all over the place right now.

That is incorrect.

Each 8T8R antenna panel has 4 "antennas" and are capable of up to 3 sectors per antenna. All three vendors RRH are capable of 3 sectors per antenna. There is no need for an additional antenna per sector. 

The NV site must have 4G capable backhaul available and installed before the new B41 equipment is installed or else they will not do that site. Priority is immediate offloading of capacity from the B25/B26 bands and thus they will target only sites with backhaul available at first.

Deinstall of legacy 3G equipment is because Sprint doesn't want to pay for their leases and they contracted several companies to do so within a specific time frame. 

52cQ1Ia.png

That is incorrect.

Each 8T8R antenna panel has 4 "antennas" and are capable of up to 3 sectors per antenna. All three vendors RRH are capable of 3 sectors per antenna. There is no need for an additional antenna per sector.

The NV site must have 4G capable backhaul available and installed before the new B41 equipment is installed or else they will not do that site. Priority is immediate offloading of capacity from the B25/B26 bands and thus they will target only sites with backhaul available at first.

Deinstall of legacy 3G equipment is because Sprint doesn't want to pay for their leases and they contracted several companies to do so within a specific time frame.

Thanks for the correction regarding the panels, but won't they still need to prioritize removing legacy equipment and thus doing 3G acceptances on all the 4G-only sites to have somewhere to put the new panel?

Or are you saying they're going to be using a new rack?

Thanks for the correction regarding the panels, but won't they still need to prioritize removing legacy equipment and thus doing 3G acceptances on all the 4G-only sites to have somewhere to put the new panel?

Or are you saying they're going to be using a new rack?

Contractors were hired to do deinstalls of legacy 3G equipment within a certain time frame. IIRC it's within 6-12 months after the installation of NV equipment. Most "big tower" racks can handle 3-4 full sized antennas per sector. Some have T bar racks which only support 2 antennas per sector where legacy must be removed. 

Either way the legacy 3G equipment must be removed and the hired contractors are now just getting to do it en masse instead of whenever they have free time. 

Has there been any report of NSN installs? I would love to see one in the macro.

I was just thinking the same thing...Can't wait to see some pics in the wild!

Has Any one seen any of these Yet in the wild, or permits for the Locations these are going?

http://nsn.com/news-events/insight-newsletter/articles/sprint-and-nsn-pioneer-high-speed-tdd-lte

NSN’s TDD-LTE Radio solution features its Flexi Multiradio 10 Base Station using high capacity baseband platform and high bandwidth TDD LTE 8-pipe radio. This will allow Sprint to provide industry leading speed and performance to its subscribers. The project commenced with Services Planning in late 2013, and hardware is expected to start shipping in July of 2014. The network is scheduled to be on air in the third quarter of 2014.

The contract announcement was made at Sprint’s facility in Burlingame, California, on the same day that NSN demonstrated its ability to provide download speeds of 1.3 Gbps. This speed could provide unprecedented service for subscribers, allowing them to download a typical two hour movie in eight seconds or a 45 minute TV show in about one second. The demo used the same radio hardware as will be used for the network implementation.

Thanks, I must of missed that Date. I would assume that Permits would start to show up in the wild in the next month or so? In order to have a speedier rollout.

Thanks, I must of missed that Date. I would assume that Permits would start to show up in the wild in the next month or so? In order to have a speedier rollout.

Permits should be already being applied. Contractors / Sprint just won't pick them up (i.e. Issued) until they are ready to begin the deployment. 

• 2 weeks later...