Nexus 5 Poor YouTube Quality

burnout8488

Is there a way to trick the Nexus 5 YouTube app into thinking it is on WiFi?

At first, I thought I was being capped to 1Mbps due to the framily restrictions, but I installed a data meter and I'm not even exceeding .5Mbps while streaming. The quality is crap, even when "HQ" is selected. (Which gives me no noticeable difference)

I get nearly 3Mbps on my 3G connection at work, and I'd like to be able to use some of it! This wasn't an issue on my iPhone 5C, even on 3G.

(Sprint only limits streaming to 1Mbps when the cell site is under heavy load, correct? Not 100% of the time?)

Is there a way to trick the Nexus 5 YouTube app into thinking it is on WiFi?

At first, I thought I was being capped to 1Mbps due to the framily restrictions, but I installed a data meter and I'm not even exceeding .5Mbps while streaming. The quality is crap, even when "HQ" is selected. (Which gives me no noticeable difference)

I get nearly 3Mbps on my 3G connection at work, and I'd like to be able to use some of it! This wasn't an issue on my iPhone 5C, even on 3G.

(Sprint only limits streaming to 1Mbps when the cell site is under heavy load, correct? Not 100% of the time?)

I think it automatically switches to low res on 3G service, my assumption is that Google did that to mitigate buffering. You would think that they would have had some sort of manual override for certain exceptions.

It must be. For Nexus 5 users on AT&T where "3G" is actually 4-6Mbps, it must be very frustrating, as the quality of the video doesn't seem to be determined by connection speed.

Maybe this will be corrected in the next update, who knows.

I remember on my jailbroken iPhone I could install "My3G" to trick apps into thinking they were on Wi-Fi. Does such a thing exist for Android?

My Sprint 3G is pretty much capped out here at work and it sucks I can't fully utilize it. 2.7Mbps out of a GMO with old antennas is pretty nice!

It must be. For Nexus 5 users on AT&T where "3G" is actually 4-6Mbps, it must be very frustrating, as the quality of the video doesn't seem to be determined by connection speed.

Maybe this will be corrected in the next update, who knows.

I remember on my jailbroken iPhone I could install "My3G" to trick apps into thinking they were on Wi-Fi. Does such a thing exist for Android?

My Sprint 3G is pretty much capped out here at work and it sucks I can't fully utilize it. 2.7Mbps out of a GMO with old antennas is pretty nice!

From a Google/XDA search, nope. Developers seem to think its possible but I couldn't find anything that was made.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Looks like the HD option is available when connected to LTE.

Have you tried using YouTube in a browser and seeing if you can select HD on 3g?

Just did, sounded like a good idea actually.

But no dice, there is only an "HQ" option available, which isn't high quality by any stretch of the imagination.

Looks like LTE and WiFi get all the goodies.

What about a VPN, for instance Hola?

They re-encode video and images, heavily over-compress and send them to your phone.

When the cell tower is under heavy load, or when its sunny, or rainy, or just when they feel like it.

If you use a vpn, they won't do this.

• Like 1

Just tested over LTE using a speed meter app called "Internet Speed Meter Lite." It put a little gauge in the status bar so I can see how fast my network activity is at any given time, really neat. 

On LTE, I was consistently pulling 3-5Mbps streaming HD video. So luckily we aren't capped by default. On a loaded site, I completely understand throttling to 1Mbps and wouldn't complain. I'm glad I don't have to seek out a VPN to bypass it. At least in my area. 

I guess the 3G HD problem is primarily an app issue. And I guess that's gonna remain until further notice. :-) 

Just tested over LTE using a speed meter app called "Internet Speed Meter Lite." It put a little gauge in the status bar so I can see how fast my network activity is at any given time, really neat.

On LTE, I was consistently pulling 3-5Mbps streaming HD video. So luckily we aren't capped by default. On a loaded site, I completely understand throttling to 1Mbps and wouldn't complain. I'm glad I don't have to seek out a VPN to bypass it. At least in my area.

I guess the 3G HD problem is primarily an app issue. And I guess that's gonna remain until further notice. :-)

If you're rooted there's a option in gravity box for a meter. It shows live up and down(or you can select just down), you can even hide it until an active data session occurs. It helps me gauge when a text is incoming(data drops to 0B/s for bit).

• Like 1

Wow, last night an update pushed for YouTube. One of the updates says "Improved video quality for Android 4.2 and above"

They're not kidding!

While HQ over 3G isn't perfect, it's vastly improved and less grainy in some cases. I'm much happier now. Funny this happened a day after making the thread. 

• Like 4