CLEAR service on LTE? Can someone explain this

On my Netgear Zing when I scan for available netwotks manually "CLEAR 4G" comes up as an optipn to select. Is Clear going to offer it's customers the option of seitching to LTE?

I'm guessing that they just named it Clear 4G to differentiate between Band 25/Band26 and Band 41. Also, Clear already had plans on launching their own LTE network, that's actually why we have Band 41.

On my Netgear Zing when I scan for available netwotks manually "CLEAR 4G" comes up as an optipn to select. Is Clear going to offer it's customers the option of seitching to LTE?

No,  Sprint will not be selling Clear LTE service.  Clearwire was deploying Band 41 LTE when Sprint purchased it last summer.  The Clear LTE identifier that comes up when you scan for networks is just a skeleton of what may have happened.  There are no Clear LTE devices sold.  You have to get a Sprint LTE to use the Band 41 LTE network.  

The Clear brand will likely die out with WiMax service.  Although, Sprint is trialing a home based LTE ISP service with Dish Network in Corpus Christi, Texas.  If that catches on, there is a possibility that the Clear name could be used as a part of that service.

Robert

Thanks for your views but that is a network selection option on LTE. Neither of your answers explains why it's an option. The radios are broadcasting it as a network.

Both did answer your question.  You just did not understand them.  Read up on PLMNs aka MCC-MNCs.  Those are how 3GPP networks are identified.

AJ

• Like 1

The Clear Wimax service uses 10 MHz of bandwidth iirc. Are you saying in all the 194 MHz that Sprint now owns that the Netgear Zing can access any of those frequencies (which I assume will be 20 MHz wide)?

The Clear Wimax service uses 10 MHz of bandwidth iirc. Are you saying in all the 194 MHz that Sprint now owns that the Netgear Zing can access any of those frequencies (which I assume will be 20 MHz wide)?

5 mhz actually.

Sent from my Nexus 5

IIRC, Sprint had areas where they deployed 5 and 10 MHz bandwidths.  Like Robert said the Clear name should be ending when Wimax is going to be shut down.  The Netgear Zing is a triband LTE hotspot so you shouldn't be accessing the Wimax network since the hotspot doesn't have Wimax support.  If you connect to B41 on your hotspot, then you must be connected to B41 LTE.

5 mhz actually.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Has Clearwire already reduced all Wimax carriers to 5 MHz?  If so then bravo because the last thing we want to see is the Wimax network sucking up precious backhaul bandwidth that can be used for the LTE network. 

• Like 1

IIRC, Sprint had areas where they deployed 5 and 10 MHz bandwidths.  Like Robert said the Clear name should be ending when Wimax is going to be shut down.  The Netgear Zing is a triband LTE hotspot so you shouldn't be accessing the Wimax network since the hotspot doesn't have Wimax support.  If you connect to B41 on your hotspot, then you must be connected to B41 LTE.

Has Clearwire already reduced all Wimax carriers to 5 MHz?  If so then bravo because the last thing we want to see is the Wimax network sucking up precious backhaul bandwidth that can be used for the LTE network. 

That was my original point, i.e. that the Zing firmware wouldn't offer choices that weren't either LTE or HSPA hence I assumed that the "CLEAR 4G" choice must be LTE.

Edited by newyorker

Thanks for your views but that is a network selection option on LTE. Neither of your answers explains why it's an option. The radios are broadcasting it as a network.

I fully answered your question with lots and lots of detail. I have no idea what more you're expecting.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

That was my original point, i.e. that the Zing firmware wouldn't offer choices that weren't either LTE or HSPA hence I assumed that the "CLEAR 4G" choice must be LTE.

They had several thousand lte sites at the time of the buyout. The zing probably would of been a clear device if clear still existed. I feel like you are not listening or understanding what the others above have been saying.

Sent from tapatalk

They had several thousand lte sites at the time of the buyout. The zing probably would of been a clear device if clear still existed. I feel like you are not listening or understanding what the others above have been saying.Sent from tapatalk

I saw their comments but I thought Clear was building the LTE sites under contract for Sprint not to be used for the Clear brand service.

• Like 1

I saw their comments but I thought Clear was building the LTE sites under contract for Sprint not to be used for the Clear brand service.

Clear is a wholly own subsidiary of Sprint/Softbank. Long story short Clear is Sprint.

• Like 1