Samsung Galaxy S5 Announced - Launch Date 4/11/14

illest_ios

OH HELLL NO!!! Samsung should be testing Tizen with a new flagship phone name series to not confuse customers.  Please Samsung don't ruin the Galaxy S series for Android with a Tizen smartphone.  We don't even know if Tizen will even be successful.  Look at Blackberry 10 or Windows Phone 8 and those are two examples of how tough it is for a new mobile OS to enter the market with Android and iOS having such a huge lead in apps available.

• Like 1

i agree... i feel like android and iOS are the dominant OS's for a reason. i ment i think i would be cool to offer it... but NOT as a flagship phone...

I dont mind them using a flagship phone ... but dont call it a galaxy ... give it a new name.

Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Another one of these "rumors''.. sigh..

i hope its a rumor... i dont own an galaxy/samsung device but i feel like they have a good thing going with what they have right now.

I dont mind them using a flagship phone ... but dont call it a galaxy ... give it a new name.

Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

like the galaxy universe!? haha the next phone is here. the samsung universe.  B)

Edited by illest_ios
  • Like 1

Samsung engineers testing != the gs5 running tizen. There is a small chance the gs5 or a refresh of the gs4 may be released with one sku of many running tizen but I find it far more probable that at some point Samsung may fork android. 

As regards Samsung paying Google, they may pay something as part of a membership and they do pay Microsoft (which would be as potential motivation for Tizen) but as I understood it (and I could be very wrong here) Android is not licensed in the same manner as say Windows Phone.

My feeling is that Samsung will most likely make the decision based upon it's ability to differentiate its products from other Android handset makers rather than any financial relationship with Google, or even Microsoft at least in mid to high end markets and phones. Shaving the MS money off $50 handsets would be far more important, but not the GS range. 

Should be interesting either way for the galaxy community. I think the galaxy series and note series phones are great phones.Samsung should drop and other galaxy sometime in April of 2014 right?

• 3 months later...

Looks like this could start the countdown!

http://www.designntrend.com/articles/9817/20131225/samsung-galaxy-s5-display-release-date-rumors-specs.htm

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/samsung-starts-mass-producing-galaxy-s5s-525-inch-qhd-amoled-display-report-462909

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/samsung/samsung-galaxy-s5/21331/samsung-galaxy-s5-specs-release-date-and-rumours-all-eyes-s5

Look no further for Samsung Galaxy S5 news - including everything you need to know about THAT eye scanner

Samsung's Galaxy S4 is barely out the door and already there's a swirl of rumours going round about the successor model. Yep, you guessed it, it's called the Galaxy S5.

The word out of the Asian supply network is that Samsung could be prepping the Galaxy S5 for as early as the first quarter of 2014, around January or February, which would be a pretty rapid turnaround from the previous model.

It's thought we'll see a large, high-resolution display, a new Samsung-made Exynos chip using 64-bit technology, enhanced camera capabilities, waterproofing and, possibly, more premium materials used to construct the device.

Read on to find out all the juicy details about the Samsung Galaxy S5.

Samsung Galaxy S5 “unlikely” to include curved display

January 2014 is right around the corner, that time of year is when we are expecting to hear an announcement for the Galaxy S5. Before then though rumours have suggested Samsung are working on curved display technology, much like that seen in the LG G Flex and Galaxy Round. Although one report has suggested it won’t be here for the Galaxy S5.

The Korea Herald has spoken to a Seoul-based analyst which claims Samsung is not able to produce enough flexible display panels. According to the analyst Samsung can produce 500,000 units a month. Considering how well Samsung’s flagship devices usually sell, that would not be anywhere near enough.

The analyst believes Samsung could up production to 1 million displays a month by the end of 2014 when a special Galaxy variant with a curved display might be released.

Kim Jong-hyun, an analyst at Seoul-based Eugene Investment & Securities, told The Korea Herland, “The current capacity for flexible panels is not high enough for the Galaxy S5, which will be rolled out early next year. Curved ones will be unveiled late next year as a Galaxy variant rather than as a flagship model.”

Could the Samsung G900F be S5?

The guys at AnTuTu have spotted a Samsung device on the benchmarking system which could potentially be the Samsung Galaxy S5. The device in question is codenamed the SM-G900F. It’s powered by a Snapdragon 800 chipset with 3GB RAM but the chipset is the updated 8974AC. The Krait 400 processor involved is clocked at 2.5GHZ, a boost from the standard 2.3GHz.

There’s no confirmation this is the S5 but it seems powerful, and for Samsung to have a handset in testing which is this powerful without it becoming the next flagship model would be a little odd. The device in question was running on Android 4.4 KitKat. The camera is also rumoured to be a 16MP deal.

It would make sense if this was the Galaxy S5 considering we are hearing rumours of an early January-to-Fenruary announcement. Testing would be appropriate considering January is less than two weeks away.

• Like 1

*Yawn*....rumors of an earlier than expected Galaxy S release never pan out.  The GS5 will come out around the April to May time frame just like it has done the last 2 years.  Any rumors that say a Jan or Feb release for the GS5 is imminent are just bogus and are just trying to attract site numbers.  This is not the first time I have seen this.

• Like 2

What do you guys(and gals) think about it rumored to have a 2560*1440 screen?

Pretty crazy. My HD TVs only go up to 1080p so having a phone like that would future proof me but seems very unnecessary. I'm more interested in the battery performance.

Sent from my LG-LS980

• Like 3

Pretty crazy. My HD TVs only go up to 1080p so having a phone like that would future proof me but seems very unnecessary. I'm more interested in the battery performance.

Sent from my LG-LS980

Yeah, I think its unnecessary as well, definitely overkill.  No way you would be able to tell the difference on a 5.25" screen.  

• Like 1

Unfortunately, no matter how fast the S5 is or how great the screen, it will still be doomed with TouchWiz and still be ugly and laggy. It does sound like it could be pretty good spec-wise, though.

• Like 1

I just have no desire in increased specs except for battery life. We've kind of hit a wall performance wise. I mean, smartphones have better specs than most of our laptops. And my vision is not good enough to see anything finer than 1080p HD.

Until someone innovates something useful, I'm going to be sitting on the sidelines waiting for the next big thing. Wouldn't likely upgrade until I break something.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 6

I just have no desire in increased specs except for battery life. We've kind of hit a wall performance wise. I mean, smartphones have better specs than most of our laptops. And my vision is not good enough to see anything finer than 1080p HD.

Until someone innovates something useful, I'm going to be sitting on the sidelines waiting for the next big thing. Wouldn't likely upgrade until I break something.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Agreed, I am still pretty happy with the performance of my old photon 4g. But I may have to upgrade it since it wont do lte much less tri-band.

Jim, Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I have the EVO LTE right now...upgrade is 1/1..pretty sure I'll settle for the G2 though the lack of MicroSD does suck

Why not wait to see what is in store for Q1-Q2 2014? I have the same phone as you do and while I am looking forward to upgrading , I want to future proof my choice as much as possible. I know that you can make the argument that the next big thing is always right around the corner but it just seems like my current upgrade cycle always puts me right at the edge of the next great phone....

• Like 1

The eyes scanner would be sweet but if it doesn't work at Night/dark areas then its useless. That's why I don't use face recognition. In dark lit areas is useless. I also hope Samsung does a complete over haul of touchwiz it has been a long time since they revamped the interface.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Is it just me or are the prices of smartphones going up in price? I thinking the s4 might be my last S series phone. They keep adding useless stuff I dont use. A possible retina scanner on a phone is a bit much(as is a thumbprint scanner) personally Id rather that money spent on that part be used on a bigger battery. And the thinnest phone isnt that big of a deal. Thinner phones usually will break easier(because people tend to drop them more). Companies need to be putting time in finding ways to increase battery time, and optimizing their Android overlays. My 2 cents

• Like 2

Looks like this could start the countdown!

http://www.designntrend.com/articles/9817/20131225/samsung-galaxy-s5-display-release-date-rumors-specs.htm

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/samsung-starts-mass-producing-galaxy-s5s-525-inch-qhd-amoled-display-report-462909

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/samsung/samsung-galaxy-s5/21331/samsung-galaxy-s5-specs-release-date-and-rumours-all-eyes-s5

Look no further for Samsung Galaxy S5 news - including everything you need to know about THAT eye scanner

Samsung's Galaxy S4 is barely out the door and already there's a swirl of rumours going round about the successor model. Yep, you guessed it, it's called the Galaxy S5.

The word out of the Asian supply network is that Samsung could be prepping the Galaxy S5 for as early as the first quarter of 2014, around January or February, 

it will be out May/June like it always is