Is HD Voice now on? Mine appears to be working

When in the the call, in the dial pad type in ##DEBUG# and then select 1X engineering. 

Dialer codes should not work in call since the dial pad then generates touchtone signaling.

AJ

• Like 2

I get SO 73 when calling my mother's Samsung M400- it's nice to know that flip phones also support HD Voice. That makes some sense though, since talking is the one thing such devices should be good at.

Interestingly, I also get SO 73 when calling our Ooma (VoIP) landline. I know that their "HD Voice" refers to G.722, but they've discussed adding AMR-WB in the past. Perhaps they've also gone ahead and added support for EVRC-NW? Samsung engineering screens have been known to lie in the past, and I would imagine the calls have to go through the PSTN at some point, so I have to express some skepticism. The calls do sound pretty crisp though.

The FCH RC fwd/rev was also 11/8 while on PCS, which I hope puts to rest any question of whether 1xA is being deployed on PCS in addition to SMR.

How do you go into debug when on a call. I got on Optimus G, if it makes a difference.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

If your phone is like mine, you can't use dialer codes during a call. I have to have the engineering screen open before I initiate the call.

Edit: ninja'd by AJ- thanks for the explanation; good to know it's not just my phone!

I get SO 73 when calling my mother's Samsung M400- it's nice to know that flip phones also support HD Voice. That makes some sense though, since talking is the one thing such devices should be good at.

No, I guarantee that the flip phone does not support EVRC-NW.  Though CDMA1X Advanced should not be necessary, EVRC-NW seems to have gotten wrapped up in that standard.

Regardless, the end point of your call should have no bearing on your codec in use.  For example, the codec is not selected via a mutual "handshake" method -- à la dialup modems.  As necessary, transcoding is applied in between the call end points.  And any call that hits the POTS network gets transcoded to POTS quality.

So, a call to an old Sprint flip phone could be EVRC-NW on one end, EVRC on the other.  A call to a T-Mobile phone could be EVRC-NW on one end, AMR-WB on the other -- both support HD Voice standards, but the call will be transcoded to POTS quality in the middle leg.  The same holds true for your VoIP landline.

AJ

• Like 1

Regardless, the end point of your call should have no bearing on your codec in use.  For example, the codec is not selected via a mutual "handshake" method -- à la dialup modems.  As necessary, transcoding is applied in between the call end points.  And any call that hits the POTS network gets transcoded to POTS quality.

Sooo.. SO 73 is not a guarantor of an HD Voice call? If it's only a matter of what my end of the conversation (S4) supports, why are some of my calls displayed as SO 3 or 68 instead of 73? :unsure:

Thanks, AJ I didn't even think about the touchtone.

As an aside, the handset does not generate real touchtone.  That audio would not pass unaltered through the low bit rate codec.  Instead, signaling from the handset is used to generate touchtone at the MSC.

AJ

Sooo.. SO 73 is not a guarantor of an HD Voice call? If it's only a matter of what my end of the conversation (S4) supports, why are some of my calls displayed as SO 3 or 68 instead of 73? :unsure:

In order, those service options are EVRC, EVRC-B, and EVRC-NW.  The network ultimately determines codec selection, and that can vary due to many factors, such as loading.

AJ

In order, those service options are EVRC, EVRC-B, and EVRC-NW.  The network ultimately determines codec selection, and that can vary due to many factors, such as loading.

AJ

So the SO basically indicates network load, and whether your area is HD Voice-ready (if you see SO 73 pop up at some point), and not the quality of your call. Good to know :tu:

It'd be nice if there was a way to definitively confirm whether one was on an HD Voice call, but that may not be feasible if the codec is not selected with a "handshake" and can fluctuate during the call.

So the SO basically indicates network load, and whether your area is HD Voice-ready (if you see SO 73 pop up at some point), and not the quality of your call. Good to know :tu:

It'd be nice if there was a way to definitively confirm whether one was on an HD Voice call, but that may not be feasible if the codec is not selected with a "handshake" and can fluctuate during the call.

Personally I'll give the benefit of the doubt to those that claim to have made HD voice calls based on nothing more than the difference in audio quality (provided they're describing a call between two HD Voice capable sprint phones). It's one of those things that you'll definitely know it's HD when you hear it. And HD voice is definitely live in certain areas, Sprint just hasn't done much to publicize it, nor have they been very clear as to where it's live and where it isn't. 

That said, it'd still be nice to be able to post a screen shot just for the record.

If your phone is like mine, you can't use dialer codes during a call. I have to have the engineering screen open before I initiate the call.

I just tried this on our demo phone and it worked, same as my Note III:

• Make call
  • Hit "add call"
  • Dial "##33284#"
  • Lock code screen comes up. Enter 777468.
  • Enginerring screen when in a phone call, hoooooooo!
  • Like 4

I like to think of it this way...what is displayed on your phone tells you what kind of connection you would have to the switch, not necessarily the type of connection you will have all the way through to the user on the other end.  If the entire connection through to the other end supports HD voice, then your call may actually connect through that way.  If only your connection on the call does, then it will not.

Robert

• Like 2

I like to think of it this way...what is displayed on your phone tells you what kind of connection you would have to the switch, not necessarily the type of connection you will have all the way through to the user on the other end.  If the entire connection through to the other end supports HD voice, then your call may actually connect through that way.  If only your connection on the call does, then it will not.

Geez, Robert, do you have to make it that complicated?

:P

AJ

• Like 3

I just tried this on our demo phone and it worked, same as my Note III:

• Make call
  • Hit "add call"
  • Dial "##33284#"
  • Lock code screen comes up. Enter 777468.
  • Enginerring screen when in a phone call, hoooooooo!

Of course, you might also get docked double airtime for a three way call.  And, no, I am not kidding.

AJ

Well, you know me!   :alien:

Some of us need the explanation in simpler terms, such as service option, radio configuration, Ec/Io, code excited linear prediction, etc.

AJ

• Like 1

Robert

So, any idea if Google Voice co-opts that and forces things to fall back to a different codec?

Of course, you might also get docked double airtime for a three way call.  And, no, I am not kidding.

AJ

Yes, such a worry, with Sprint's Unlimited minutes or unlimited mobile-to-mobile. Or in my case, using an average of 62 a month out of my 3000.

So, any idea if Google Voice co-opts that and forces things to fall back to a different codec?Yes, such a worry, with Sprint's Unlimited minutes or unlimited mobile-to-mobile. Or in my case, using an average of 62 a month out of my 3000.

Can i borrow some minutes? I used 2200 last month!

Yes, such a worry, with Sprint's Unlimited minutes or unlimited mobile-to-mobile. Or in my case, using an average of 62 a month out of my 3000.

Speaking of worry, as I have said many a time, we cool guys do not worry about dialer codes.  We have our hidden APK shortcuts laid out on the home screen.

1z6ds3k.png

AJ

Can i borrow some minutes? I used 2200 last month!

Nope :) You can always use something like Google Voice when in WiFi via, for example, GrooveIP.

Speaking of worry, as I have said many a time, we cool guys do not worry about dialer codes.  We have our hidden APK shortcuts laid out on the home screen.

AJ

Wait, when did you buy a Nexus 5? Was the HTC One not tri-band enough for you? :P
  • Like 1

Wait, when did you buy a Nexus 5? Was the HTC One not tri-band enough for you? :P

You guys cannot keep up with my equipment acquisitions any longer, can you?  Especially as I do not divulge my handsets in my "Phones/Devices" info.  Yep, per my extensive handset collection, I am quickly becoming Robert Jr. (not the Downey variety).

AJ

• Like 3

What is 4GV_NB? That's what I get between two G2s and I tried searching, but didn't find very much.

That is EVRC-NW in narrowband mode.

AJ

• Like 1

You guys cannot keep up with my equipment acquisitions any longer, can you?  Especially as I do not divulge my handsets in my "Phones/Devices" info.  Yep, per my extensive handset collection, I am quickly becoming Robert Jr. (not the Downey variety).

AJ

What do you mean, "you guys"? I think I'm the only one who's been paying attention...
  • Like 1