Is HD Voice now on? Mine appears to be working

i don't know if something changed or i just have had good luck, but Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday this week when my wife called me on her way home all of those calls were HD. I did take wifi calling off my phone early last week but i still had a mix of HD and non-HD calls after doing that.

now that i posted this when she calls me tonight it probably won't be an HD call ;)

i don't know if something changed or i just have had good luck, but Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday this week when my wife called me on her way home all of those calls were HD. I did take wifi calling off my phone early last week but i still had a mix of HD and non-HD calls after doing that.

now that i posted this when she calls me tonight it probably won't be an HD call ;)

Now you've jinxed it XD

Just about every call with my wife is now HD since disabling wifi calling on both iPhones. I don't need wifi calling, so it's staying off for good, unless there's an emergency. I've never been without sprint/roaming voice since I've been with them, and I don't leave the country, so it's pointless.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Now you've jinxed it XD

i did too! i didn't talk to my wife on her way home last night so i don't know if it would have been HD or not, but my dad called me (he is on a H/K M8 no wifi calling at all) and that call did not have the HD voice icon.

its not that my calls sound bad either, they do sound really good, like maybe they are HD, its just not displaying the icon? i don't know, its very hit or miss though.

• 2 weeks later...

Is HD voice activated on the entire sprint network or just NV sites. I ask because my dad is moving to upstate new york where there are a lot of sites that havent been upgraded to NV yet.

Whole network.

Also is HD voice activated in IBEZ areas with no 1x800 because I live in Seattle?

Doesn't need 1x800. No technical difference between 1x800 and 1x1900. They use the same 1xRTT codecs.

Sent from my LG G4

So there's 1x Advanced on 1900mhz?

Yes there is. When Sprint ripped and replaced the existing network equipment and put up the NV panels and RRUs and cabinets, they added 1xAdvanced carrier cards for CDMA to take advantage of its efficiencies such as wider 1x area coverage or up to 4x capacity increase.  

Personally I would love to see Sprint try to purge all pre 1xAdvanced devices by offering a free trade in on existing phone so that they can configure their NV sites to use the 1x Advanced (4x capacity) feature so that they can shut down some extraneous CDMA 1x carriers to free up some spectrum.

Yes there is. When Sprint ripped and replaced the existing network equipment and put up the NV panels and RRUs and cabinets, they added 1xAdvanced carrier cards for CDMA to take advantage of its efficiencies such as wider 1x area coverage or up to 4x capacity increase.  

Personally I would love to see Sprint try to purge all pre 1xAdvanced devices by offering a free trade in on existing phone so that they can configure their NV sites to use the 1x Advanced (4x capacity) feature so that they can shut down some extraneous CDMA 1x carriers to free up some spectrum.

That would be good

1xAdvanced completely replaced old 1x when it was deployed.  1xA is fully backwards compatible, so there's no need to keep "legacy" 1x carriers online. 

• Like 1

1xAdvanced completely replaced old 1x when it was deployed.  1xA is fully backwards compatible, so there's no need to keep "legacy" 1x carriers online. 

I am not talking about legacy 1x carrier technology.  I know it is fully backwards compatible.  However on the handset side it needs to be able to support the 1x Advanced features or else its useless and it mind as well be treated as legacy 1x.  I am talking about extraneous 1x carriers that are deployed since one of the features of 1x Advanced is up to 4x capacity of users compared to legacy 1x.  Since there are still plenty of 1x legacy only devices out there that don't support 1x Advanced Sprint can't take full advantage of this feature and have to deploy more 1x carriers to support capacity.

I am not talking about legacy 1x carrier technology. I know it is fully backwards compatible. However on the handset side it needs to be able to support the 1x Advanced features or else its useless and it mind as well be treated as legacy 1x. I am talking about extraneous 1x carriers that are deployed since one of the features of 1x Advanced is up to 4x capacity of users compared to legacy 1x. Since there are still plenty of 1x legacy only devices out there that don't support 1x Advanced Sprint can't take full advantage of this feature and have to deploy more 1x carriers to support capacity.

Basically old ppl with devices are taking up 4x as much capacity as they need.

Awh I wish there were more sprint customers here in Seattle so I could make hd calls. I feel like everyone here is on AT&T.

• 2 weeks later...

There's no specific way to know. You just have to hear if it is.

If you can even tell the difference.  I used HD Voice (Currently intergrated with GV), Hangouts, and Skype.  I can't really tell the difference.  Even when I was on Republic Wireless, WiFi vs HD/Non-HD voice.  The difference was VoIP would be slighly louder.

What I notice and bugs the tar out of me is when a smartphone doesn't have ambient noise cancellation on phone calls.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is HD voice activated on the entire sprint network or just NV sites. I ask because my dad is moving to upstate new york where there are a lot of sites that havent been upgraded to NV yet.

Almost all of the sites in Upstate NY are NV complete. HD voice should work on all of them, I've had no issues even on 3G-only sites. 

Just did the full wi-fi calling disable on my phone, as well as all of my friends/family I've told to enable it. I forgot how good HD voice was, it's been gone for so long! Hopefully a carrier update fixes this, I wonder if Sprint even knows about it. 

• Like 2

Just did the full wi-fi calling disable on my phone, as well as all of my friends/family I've told to enable it. I forgot how good HD voice was, it's been gone for so long! Hopefully a carrier update fixes this, I wonder if Sprint even knows about it.

Is this a problem on the iPhone 6S as well?

• 1 month later...

Yay!  Just had my first HD call here in nTelos-land.  My daughter's new iPhone 6S and my HTC M9.  Very pronounced high frequencies which leads to increased perceived clarity.  (I wondered how much my M9 speakers contributed to the accentuated high end.)

:D

• Like 1

Do you have any idea what a screen shot would show with a HD call? I am curious myself.

I live in wv where hd calling haas been live for months now, everytime i have an hd call it says hd at the top of the phone and your call logs say hd to the left of the entry.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I live in wv where hd calling haas been live for months now, everytime i have an hd call it says hd at the top of the phone and your call logs say hd to the left of the entry.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Yea, that post was from 2 years ago. The Nexus 5 does not have that happen on it.