Is HD Voice now on? Mine appears to be working

Verizon and at&t are notorious for using low encoding rates on voice calls. Sprint has always sounded better than Verizon and T-Mobile has always sounded better than at&t. A big part of why I left Verizon was because of the voice quality, it was especially bad when calling someone on at&t. Conversions were so muffled and garbled as to be unintelligible. The outrageous price was the other big factor.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Yea they do, I have a hard time talking to one of my friends who is on att. Yet when I am sprint to sprint with hd, It is so hard to believe how clear they are. I always have to turn the volume down because I can actually hear them :D

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

I just had an HD voice call from here (Chicago area) to my sister in-law in the Bay Area in California. Last I heard anything they didn't have HD voice between markets working yet.

I just had an HD voice call from here (Chicago area) to my sister in-law in the Bay Area in California. Last I heard anything they didn't have HD voice between markets working yet, but it's working now.

I'm pretty sure it's been working like that since early to mid-2014.

I'm pretty sure it's been working like that since early to mid-2014.

Oh ok, I don't think there was much mention of it so I wasn't certain. I don't get to enjoy HD voice very often because hardly anybody I know is on sprint anymore, so it still excites me when a call begins and I hear it jump to HD lol.
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...

Has anyone else noticed that HD Voice isn't always happening? I noticed the other day while talking to my wife on her way home that the call didn't sound HD like it used to. so i looked at my phone and it was sitting there with the "HD attempting..." message. After we hung up I went back through my call log and I had only had a couple of HD calls to sprint people since late June. Prior to that almost all of them were HD. When she got home i tested it and that call showed the HD voice icon. Its been a few days now since that test and still, i'm not getting HD voice calls where the HD icon shows up while on the call or in the call log afterward. its not that the quality of the calls has been bad per se, but they don't sound HD like they did.

Has anyone else noticed that HD Voice isn't always happening? I noticed the other day while talking to my wife on her way home that the call didn't sound HD like it used to. so i looked at my phone and it was sitting there with the "HD attempting..." message. After we hung up I went back through my call log and I had only had a couple of HD calls to sprint people since late June. Prior to that almost all of them were HD. When she got home i tested it and that call showed the HD voice icon. Its been a few days now since that test and still, i'm not getting HD voice calls where the HD icon shows up while on the call or in the call log afterward. its not that the quality of the calls has been bad per se, but they don't sound HD like they did.

I've called multiple Sprint subs in the past few weeks, I don't think I've had an HD Voice call in awhile. They sound as plain as calling a VZW or T-Mo sub.

I don't get HD calls with my wife anymore. Actually, in quite some time. I do, however, get them with my brother every once in a while. We all have iPhone 6's. I read somewhere that having wifi calling activated on your account may possibly disable HD, but I'm not sure how that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

I read somewhere that having wifi calling activated on your account may possibly disable HD, but I'm not sure how that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

It has to do with the way it provisions the device for wi-fi calling. When I had wi-fi calling activated on my line, I lost HD-Voice. After I removed it from my line, HD-Voice came back.

-Anthony

I don't get HD calls with my wife anymore. Actually, in quite some time. I do, however, get them with my brother every once in a while. We all have iPhone 6's. I read somewhere that having wifi calling activated on your account may possibly disable HD, but I'm not sure how that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

Yeah, I never connect with my brother on an hd voice call. But always do with my wife and we are both on the same account. It is super weird and I have no idea why it happens that way.

It has to do with the way it provisions the device for wi-fi calling. When I had wi-fi calling activated on my line, I lost HD-Voice. After I removed it from my line, HD-Voice came back.

-Anthony

I wonder if this is a known glitch, and if Sprint is working on a fix. Is there anything that I can do with tech support?

Sent from my iPhone 6+

I wonder if this is a known glitch, and if Sprint is working on a fix. Is there anything that I can do with tech support?

Sent from my iPhone 6+

The only thing you can do is remove Wi-Fi calling from your line. It has been around since Wi-Fi calling was introduced on the iPhone.

-Anthony

so is it any wifi calling on any line? or just with iphones? i had put wifi calling on my line maybe a year ago but i don't use it (which is not an iphone) i've never done wifi calling on my wifes line which is an iphone. she is the one i talk to the most and prior to june every call was HD, but since june only a handful have been. i haven't changed anything in that time frame either.

I haven't had an HD call in months. I drive a Nexus 5, no WiFi calling, to several other S phones. S4, S5, and an N6. Hangouts is still crisp.

I do not often use 1x voice but it does not seem to be working as it is supposed to when I do.

so is it any wifi calling on any line? or just with iphones? i had put wifi calling on my line maybe a year ago but i don't use it (which is not an iphone) i've never done wifi calling on my wifes line which is an iphone. she is the one i talk to the most and prior to june every call was HD, but since june only a handful have been. i haven't changed anything in that time frame either.

As far as I know, it is only iPhones. While the problem persists, iPhones will never make an HD call while Wi-Fi calling is active on the line. I say that because you mentioned that (even though you aren't using an iPhone) sometimes your calls are HD and sometimes they aren't, so I am trying to point out that on the iPhone, if Wi-Fi calling is enabled, it will never make an HD call. Whereas on your Android/Windows/etc. device, if it is not an HD call, then it is a different problem.

-Anthony

• Like 1

As far as I know, it is only iPhones. While the problem persists, iPhones will never make an HD call while Wi-Fi calling is active on the line. I say that because you mentioned that (even though you aren't using an iPhone) sometimes your calls are HD and sometimes they aren't, so I am trying to point out that on the iPhone, if Wi-Fi calling is enabled, it will never make an HD call. Whereas on your Android/Windows/etc. device, if it is not an HD call, then it is a different problem.

-Anthony

I wonder if there is a similar problem with HD voice and iPhone when you have google voice integration activated on your line. My problem is that I seem to be able to connect on a HD voice call when I am calling someone on sprint locally but not if the live in a market with a different equipment vendor than mine.

Having the same issue of no HD calling after I activated WiFi calling in an iPhone 5S. I turned WiFi Calls off from the phone but unable to remove the service online and still with no HD calling in between my phone and that iphone. Tried calling another iphone on my account and HD calling works as I see on my Moto X the HD icon while the call is active.

Any suggestions?

Having the same issue of no HD calling after I activated WiFi calling in an iPhone 5S. I turned WiFi Calls off from the phone but unable to remove the service online and still with no HD calling in between my phone and that iphone. Tried calling another iphone on my account and HD calling works as I see on my Moto X the HD icon while the call is active.

Any suggestions?

Did you try going into the settings on your iPhone, turning wifi calling back on, tapping on "Update Emergency Address", and then on the page check "Remove wifi calling" and then tap done and turn off wifi calling? If you haven't tried that, I would suggest doing that first.

-Anthony

Any suggestions?

Did you try going into the settings on your iPhone, turning wifi calling back on, tapping on "Update Emergency Address", and then on the page check "Remove wifi calling" and then tap done and turn off wifi calling? If you haven't tried that, I would suggest doing that first.

-Anthony

After removing the wifi calling service from the "update emergency address" page, you should do a ##update# to refresh everything, if it doesn't do it automatically. On the iPhone, any changes with wifi calling refreshes the device on the network automatically.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

• Like 1

-Anthony

Thanks, this actually solved my issue.

After removing the wifi calling service from the "update emergency address" page, you should do a ##update# to refresh everything, if it doesn't do it automatically. On the iPhone, any changes with wifi calling refreshes the device on the network automatically.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

Exactly what I did, and now working fine. Thanks

• Like 1

How do we know that an iphone 6/plus is making an HD call on sprint?

There's no specific way to know. You just have to hear if it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you check out the debug menu under android you can check if you are on HD, Also some android phones let you know when you are in HD on the screen. 

WiWavelength, on 28 Aug 2013 - 8:03 PM, said:

snapback.png

Service Option 3 is plain jane EVRC.  Then, Service Option 32768 is 13K QCELP, and Service Option 33 is packet data.  If I recall correctly, Service Option 68 is EVRC-B, while Service Option 73 is EVRC-NW (aka HD Voice).