Is HD Voice now on? Mine appears to be working

So I just made a phone call from my phone (Sprint HTC One, latest firmware & radios) to a Sprint Galaxy Note 3 (I'm assuming latest firmware, I don't know for sure). Once the call was connected, within a few seconds I knew something was different. The voice quality sounded absolutely fantastic. It was kinda that same feeling when going from an SD to HD picture it's a huge difference I noticed almost instantly. I remember hearing about HD voice ages ago when the evo-LTE was announced but they never did anything with it. It sounded like I was sitting right next to the person. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this either in my market (Minneapolis) or anywhere else just because I haven't heard anything about it. Today is the very first time I have heard it work which is a great sign because my home tower has been having on going issues since early July and still does have issues. I was very impressed with the quality.

• Like 2

I live in Oakdale and I've had around 20 HD voice calls between my wife and I. I have an HTC one and she had an s4. However, every HD voice call I've had has dropped to normal quality after about a minute of talk time. It's great when it works.

I think my problem is I live between a tower that is upgraded and a tower that hasn't been touched yet and it must jump onto the tower that's not done. The last couple weeks I can barely keep a call in my house..... they keep dropping like flies.

I posted something in the KC market thread about a call that sounded very different.  It was definitely more clear.  I asked my buddy if he plugged in a headset or something because the sound was much clearer.  I have an EVO LTE and my buddy has a G4.  

I'm still not sure if it was HD voice or not.  

Thanks for starting this thread.  I was hoping to verify if HD voice is becoming available.

• Like 1

I definitely participated in multiple HD calls while visiting family in the Chicago suburbs last week.  The calls were between my Nexus 5 and my sister's new LG G2.  It definitely is a cool experience to have such a clear call between two cell phones.

Do you have any idea what a screen shot would show with a HD call? I am curious myself.

I'm unsure exactly what it would  exactly contain but I'm fairly certain that something would show up during the call in the 1X engineering screen (or "enginerring" if you use a Samsung device) and probably says something about ERVC-NW.

I can't say I know for sure, but ever since I got the LG G2, I've had some real fantastic sounding calls as well. I noticed it the very first time I talked to my wife on the phone. I usually hate talking on the phone, but I have been calling her more often just to geek out over how good it sounds. I also enjoy the chimes I get whenever it switches back to LTE after ending the end call.

I can't say I know for sure, but ever since I got the LG G2, I've had some real fantastic sounding calls as well. I noticed it the very first time I talked to my wife on the phone. I usually hate talking on the phone, but I have been calling her more often just to geek out over how good it sounds. I also enjoy the chimes I get whenever it switches back to LTE after ending the end call.

Well then why don't you call your wife and look at the 1X engineering screen and post it so we can see if there's something there that can be linked to HD Voice.

I definitely participated in multiple HD calls while visiting family in the Chicago suburbs last week.  The calls were between my Nexus 5 and my sister's new LG G2.  It definitely is a cool experience to have such a clear call between two cell phones.

Is it real obvious when its an HD call?

I know when use Vonage to Vonage with their app, that is very clear.

When/if HD voice is working on sprint, is it only for sprint <> sprint calls?  to other cell phones?  certain cell companies?  Can it be used to call POTS lines?

Only Sprint to Sprint, no other carrier or landline can be in the equation.

I'm unsure exactly what it would exactly contain but I'm fairly certain that something would show up during the call in the 1X engineering screen (or "enginerring" if you use a Samsung device) and probably says something about ERVC-NW.

Look on the 1x protocol screen for the service option.

• Like 1

When/if HD voice is working on sprint, is it only for sprint <> sprint calls?  to other cell phones?  certain cell companies?  Can it be used to call POTS lines?

Only Sprint to Sprint, no other carrier or landline can be in the equation.

To add to that, last I heard HD Voice also requires that both cell sites involved in the call (that each party is connected to) use the same vendor's equipment. So no-go for cross-country Samsung-Ericsson calls. Hopefully that's no longer the case.

To add to that, last I heard HD Voice also requires that both cell sites involved in the call (that each party is connected to) use the same vendor's equipment. So no-go for cross-country Samsung-Ericsson calls. Hopefully that's no longer the case.

No go in Ericsson market. Tried on a 3G NV site and it is running 1x and not 1xA and no HD voice codec. Ericsson wasn't running 1xA on 800SMR when it was fired up here so it doesn't surprise me. Maybe when the market is 3g completed they will kick things over. As of today that is estimated to be completed on 7/20/2024. ;)

No go in Ericsson market. Tried on a 3G NV site and it is running 1x and not 1xA and no HD voice codec. Ericsson wasn't running 1xA on 800SMR when it was fired up here so it doesn't surprise me. Maybe when the market is 3g completed they will kick things over. As of today that is estimated to be completed on 7/20/2024. ;)

It may not be HD voice now, but as of right now the call quality is insanely good. Also, has anyone called Sprint CS on their G2 or N5? That call blew me away even more. I could hear her breathing while on the line.

I gotta say, I finally experienced HD voice for the first time today. It really was amazing!!!! The only problem I had was my call kept dropping. I noticed my phone was switching back and forth from 1x800 to 1xRTT. I am thinking that was the problem.

Look on the 1x protocol screen for the service option.

Hm, so, remind me, what should I be looking for again?  Also, doesn't HD Voice require 1X Advanced? What should I look for to see when I'm on 1xA instead of regular 1X?

Edit: Here's an engineering screen from a recent call from my Note III:

kdk153Z.jpg

Hm, so, remind me, what should I be looking for again?  Also, doesn't HD Voice require 1X Advanced? What should I look for to see when I'm on 1xA instead of regular 1X?

Edit: Here's an engineering screen from a recent call from my Note III:

Service Option 3 is plain jane EVRC.  Then, Service Option 32768 is 13K QCELP, and Service Option 33 is packet data.  If I recall correctly, Service Option 68 is EVRC-B, while Service Option 73 is EVRC-NW (aka HD Voice).

AJ

• Like 1

AJ

Err... call me crazy, but I don't see Service Option anywhere in my enginerring screens. That screenshot is about all I get for the 1x protocol, and it's not in 1x RF.

Err... call me crazy, but I don't see Service Option anywhere in my enginerring screens. That screenshot is about all I get for the 1x protocol, and it's not in 1x RF.

SO73.  Now, do you see it?

;)

AJ

• Like 1

SO73.  Now, do you see it?

;)

AJ

Aha, that's it! Made a couple more test calls; both my device to landlines, and to other Sprint devices. All Sprint Devices were showing either Service Option 73, or EVRC-NW (the LG OG showed EVRC-NW). All calls were on PCS, connected to a 3G NV site, except for the landline (obviously). The calls were somewhat clear, but I would not say surprisingly or spectacularly so. Sprint-to-Sprint sounded better than Sprint-to-Landline. Makes me wonder if there needs to be anything more done on the backend...

• Like 1