HTC M8/New Flagship

Paynefanbro

I guess...but IMO it's kind of silly to think that the htc rom will not have htc sense. Also vanilla Android is referred as "stock android"... not" Android stock". Either way it's been corrected to avoid confusion.

If u hear tech blogs say..."The phone comes shipped with android 4.4 stock". That is what I am referring to.

Sent from my Motorola Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

From what I have seen, various sites would just say android 4.4 and thats it.  To add even though its an htc device, you can purchase a One with stock android.

• Like 2

I have had that "dummy" or "toy" experience before with some recent Samsung handsets.  That is disappointing a similar "cheap" feel extends to the Moto X, as the design looks impressive in pictures.  And Moto Maker customization is reportedly coming to Sprint soon.

http://gigaom.com/2013/11/08/moto-maker-might-be-coming-to-sprint-t-mobile-and-verizon-by-next-week/

I suppose a handset made in the US forgoes cheap Chinese labor, so it goes with cheap materials to compensate.  A shame...

AJ

The recent samsung phones doesn't have anything on how cheap the moto x feels, seriously, its that bad.

The recent samsung phones doesn't have anything on how cheap the moto x feels, seriously, its that bad.

Try the S4 mini. It feels and looks like a cheap $50 Boost Mobile device. I saw one today at a Sprint store.

• Like 1

Try the S4 mini. It feels and looks like a cheap $50 Boost Mobile device. I saw one today at a Sprint store.

Tried the S4 mini and it blows.  Its so small it should be called the S4 Tiny. However despite how small it is..technically the screen is still larger than the iPhone 5S which is pretty sad.

• Like 4

A couple of points/comments/questions:

• Is the RF performance of the current HTC One bad?  I don't own one so I don't know.  I thought I heard that the Evo LTE had poor RF performance but that the One was vastly improved.  Didn't AJ do an article on the One that said as much or am I mistaken?
  • Am I the only one that thinks that current flagship phone screens at 5" is plenty big, if not too big already?  I still have an original Evo 4G (yes, I know it's old...) and other than the fact that I wish it were thinner and lighter, I am comfortable with screen size and overall height and width.  The S4 and One just seem so damn tall.  My Evo barely fits in some front pants pockets when I'm sitting down (and have my leg bent) so anything taller is just too big.  Yes, I know some phones are slightly smaller, like the Moto X or One Mini, but those phones are usually sub-standard in the CPU, camera, etc.
  • Long story short:  I hope the One doesn't grow any bigger.
  • Anybody care to comment on why the One doesn't sell as well as the S4?  I would much prefer the One, but apparently Samsung sells way more S4's.
  • If the One moves to a single SKU for all North American carriers like the Nexus 5, is there a chance there will be a Google Play edition with stock Android that works on Sprint?  If so, any chance that Sprint would sell it at a subsidized price?  I really want Nexus software, but I want the better hardware (camera and battery, mostly) of the One.  That's my (likely unobtainable) dream phone.
  • Like 1

Tried the S4 mini and it blows. Its so small it should be called the S4 Tiny. However despite how small it is..technically the screen is still larger than the iPhone 5S which is pretty sad.

It would be one thing if they could put a Snapdragon 800 in the GS4 Mini, but without that? Not so much. At least Apple has figured out how to make a smaller phone with high end specs. I just don't know what to think of the larger phone idea for them, make it too large and you end up making the phone too difficult for single hand usage.

• Like 1

A couple of points/comments/questions:

• Is the RF performance of the current HTC One bad?  I don't own one so I don't know.  I thought I heard that the Evo LTE had poor RF performance but that the One was vastly improved.  Didn't AJ do an article on the One that said as much or am I mistaken?
  • Am I the only one that thinks that current flagship phone screens at 5" is plenty big, if not too big already?  I still have an original Evo 4G (yes, I know it's old...) and other than the fact that I wish it were thinner and lighter, I am comfortable with screen size and overall height and width.  The S4 and One just seem so damn tall.  My Evo barely fits in some front pants pockets when I'm sitting down (and have my leg bent) so anything taller is just too big.  Yes, I know some phones are slightly smaller, like the Moto X or One Mini, but those phones are usually sub-standard in the CPU, camera, etc.
  • Long story short:  I hope the One doesn't grow any bigger.
  • Anybody care to comment on why the One doesn't sell as well as the S4?  I would much prefer the One, but apparently Samsung sells way more S4's.
  • If the One moves to a single SKU for all North American carriers like the Nexus 5, is there a chance there will be a Google Play edition with stock Android that works on Sprint?  If so, any chance that Sprint would sell it at a subsidized price?  I really want Nexus software, but I want the better hardware (camera and battery, mostly) of the One.  That's my (likely unobtainable) dream phone.

-AJ does plenty of articles on RF, but you'd have to quickly search on that. As for RF performance, it is not as bad as people make it, but remember, it is SVLTE.

-the ONE still has a 5" screen and the M8, if it is 5.2", will probably maintain the same overall shape, just a larger screen with less realestate on the sides and top.  It really doesn't feel that much bigger then the LTEvo or EVO 4g, and since it is thinner, that might help in the pockets area.

-The two should maintain the same relative size, just more screen realestate.

-This has been discussed a lot and the opinion was that samsung just has more marketing money than HTC.

-The nexus is just plain android without an added UI (User Interface).  The closest to get to that is pretty much the ONE unless of course you root it and add a new ROM.  That might get you closer.

The Two shouldn't deviate too much from the One since it was quite successful in its own right and the advancements we might see will probably be software and some slight hardware changes.  Hopefully the RF will work like the nexus since this will probably be tri-band.

-AJ does plenty of articles on RF, but you'd have to quickly search on that. As for RF performance, it is not as bad as people make it, but remember, it is SVLTE.

-the ONE still has a 5" screen and the M8, if it is 5.2", will probably maintain the same overall shape, just a larger screen with less realestate on the sides and top.

The HTC One is only has a 4.7" screen, not a 5" screen. A 5.2" screen for the HTC Two would make this 0.5" larger in screen size to the HTC One.

Sent from my LG G2 LS980 using Tapatalk

The HTC One is only has a 4.7" screen, not a 5" screen. A 5.2" screen for the HTC Two would make this 0.5" larger in screen size to the HTC One.

Sent from my LG G2 LS980 using Tapatalk

Thanks to Pythagoras, 0.500" can be attained many ways since screens are measured on the diagonal.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting that!

Very interesting article. If the HTC M8 turns out to be everything that the article says, I my have to upgrade. ;)

Interesting about the M8...first article says S4 has a faster chip set than the HTC One, which isn't true because they both have the S600?

If only HTC was better in the RF department.

Sent from my LG-LS980

They both have the same s600 but the one in the s4 was clocked at 1.9 to the One's 1.7 which really didn't make a difference being that the one smoked the s4 out of the box when it came to responsiveness.

Thanks for posting that!

Very interesting article. If the HTC M8 turns out to be everything that the article says, I my have to upgrade. ;)

From the Sprint LTE era, I already have the HTC EVO LTE, HTC One, LG Optimus G, and Nexus 5 in my stable.  However, I will almost certainly grab the HTC "M8" (or whatever it is ultimately named).  I do not expect it to live up to quite the unparalleled fit and finish of the HTC One.  I doubt that we will see that level of construction again soon -- the hand feel of the HTC One is like the cool other side of the pillow.  But I do expect that the build quality of the next gen HTC flagship will clearly trump that of the next gen Samsung Galaxy S flagship.

Honestly, I am becoming a Robert.  He may have the Robert M. Herron Museum of Modern Cellphones, but I am creating my own substantial collection.  I call it The Hermitage.

;)

AJ

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly, I am becoming a Robert.  He may have the Robert M. Herron Museum of Modern Cellphones, but I am creating my own substantial collection.  I call it The Hermitage.

;)

AJ

I'm flattered.  Welcome to the dark side.  :jedi:

Robert

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I kind of wish they keep the same screen size, i really don’t want a bigger phone! The things i would love to see with the next ONE is..

-Ditch the stupid camera, just put a 10+MP cam in it.

-TRI-BAND!

-Better radio

-SD card slot would be nice

-Add a menu button at the bottom, no more long holds!

-The battery is really nice but a bigger one would be even better!

-A mini HDMI port

-Maybe make it a little bit thinner

-FOR THE LOVE OF GOD KEEP THE SPEAKERS WHERE THEY ARE!

• Like 1

They definitely need to do something about the radio. I really like HTC, but after going to my LG from the Evo, I don't think I can ever trust the radio performance of another one of their phones.

I hope they can improve on the amazing build quality of the HTC ONE. If they can do that, then they might just have a winner...

I doubt it.  Expect to see a slight regression because the HTC One did not exactly set sales records, despite its impeccable build quality.  So, as I have said before, the HTC One is probably the apex of cellphone design and build quality that we will see for quite some time.

AJ

• Like 1

I hope they can improve on the amazing build quality of the HTC ONE. If they can do that, then they might just have a winner...

But we all want more than just the basics lol MOAR RAM, MOAR GIGS!

-Luis

As far as build quality, there really isn't much they can improve on.  For the most part the m8 will basically look like the One but with minor differences just so you can tell the difference between the two. 

I doubt it.  Expect to see a slight regression because the HTC One did not exactly set sales records, despite its impeccable build quality.  So, as I have said before, the HTC One is probably the apex of cellphone design and build quality that we will see for quite some time.

AJ

:'(

As much as I'm enjoying the Nexus 5, I would still like them to continue on with their build quality cause going back to a plastic phone is not so exciting.

-Luis

• Like 1

I always put a case on my phones, so it doesn't really make much difference to me if they used metal, carbon, plastic, glass or licorice. Just as long as it has good hardware and a strong radio, it's all good. Those speakers are pretty sweet, though. My mom really enjoyed showing off her One.

:'(

As much as I'm enjoying the Nexus 5, I would still like them to continue on with their build quality cause going back to a plastic phone is not so exciting.

-Luis

I actually like the build quality of the nexus 5 a lot.  I definitely prefer that soft touch material compared to your standard hard glossy plastic.

• Like 4