Breaking Band: Tri-band LTE / eCSFB issues thread

----

EDIT:

If this is your first time to this thread, please read this article by Robert (S4GRU Admin): 

http://s4gru.com/index.php?%2Fblog%2F1%2Fentry-357-nexus-5-and-lg-g2-experience-temporary-sprint-lte-connectivity-issues-due-to-circuit-switched-fallback-technology%2F

OP:

----

As more and more inconsistent LG G2 and Nexus 5 user observations have filtered in over the past few days, S4GRU has decided to reopen a thread that we created as a placeholder to address LTE connectivity issues, if necessary.

So, if you have a Sprint Spark tri band device -- especially but not limited to the LG G2 and Nexus 5 -- please report your LTE connectivity experience and location.

See my two hypothetical examples below...

Handset:  LG G2

LTE connectivity:  Great, LTE in places never had before

Handset:  Nexus 5

LTE connectivity:  Weak, loses LTE or refuses to connect

Please keep this thread objective and factual.  Complaining about the situation serves no productive purpose. But gathering anecdotal evidence that we can cross reference with our Network Vision progress maps can help get to the bottom of the current issues.

Finally, expect further edits to this top post, especially as additional insider information and/or S4GRU technical analysis becomes available.

Thanks in advance for your reports...

AJ

------------------------------------------------

EDIT:

Follow this link for a Sprint memo explaining why Tri-Band devices are not connecting to LTE in some areas: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5001-tri-band-lteecsfb-issues-thread/page-3?p=235876&do=findComment&comment=235876

Follow this link for a breakdown of incumbent and non-incumbent markets, and what that means for your Tri-Band ("Spark") device: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhjoCbLKCt72dHJKMTVrc3lrSE95cklOTnB0V0c0M1E&usp=drive_web#gid=0

We're still looking for additional reports, as this does not account for all issues.

-David

• Like 17

The thread is open.  Start submitting your reports.  S4GRU is on the case...

AJ

• Like 4

LG G2:

No LTE Connectivity al all.

Harrisburg, PA 17104, 17111

Hershey, PA 17033

Hummelstown, PA 17036

Steelton, PA 17113

No modifications or configuration changes to the handset. 

LG G2:

No LTE Connectivity al all.

Harrisburg PA 17113, 17104

Ah, yes, please include in the report your chosen handset -- and if you have made any modifications or configuration changes to it.  I will make the appropriate revision to the top post.

AJ

Raleigh, NC market. NEXUS 5.

LTE if forced in engineering, but no mobile network if set as such, cant make or receive calls. Phone must be set to 3G.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Edited by smorcy11

Whats funny is I was having this issue for almost 2 days when I got the device but then it started working normally.

My guess is I was connecting to legacy 3g while 4g was coming from a different tower. They just finished upgrading my towers 3g so the issue went away.

• Like 1

Same as smorcy11 ^ above.  N5, Raleigh, NC market. I haven't tried forcing it from debug menu but zero LTE except when switching back and forth from Global/LTE, whereupon the icon switches momentarily to LTE but goes back to 3G.

Edited by cswiii

LG g2, nexus 5. Lincoln, NE. 68504. No lte. (Connects for 1-2 seconds then falls back to 3g) -4g only accepted sites

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

. Will test the sites west of town that are 4G / 3G accepted.

LG G2

Excellent 4G reception with no loss of voice or sms

Merrmiac, MA, 01860

Note: Traveling between Worcester MA and in the Greater Boston area today, 4G LTE worked as well as it did on my Note 3 so it seems to be fine in Central to Northeastern MA where LTE has been live for quite some time.

Edited by jfenton1957
  • Like 3

So far all these areas look 'purple' to me.

Right.  And this "purple" hypothesis is what we want to test.  Scientific method -- you will not find that at a lot of other sites.  But S4GRU holds itself to a higher standard.  We hope that is why you keep coming back.

;)

AJ

• Like 13

Right.  And this "purple" hypothesis is what we want to test.  Scientific method -- you will not find that at a lot of other sites.  But S4GRU holds itself to a higher standard.  We hope that is why you keep coming back.

;)

AJ

well that and the funny videos. Keep up the good work :)

• Like 2

Nexus 5

Midtown Manhattan 10022

Connects to LTE but data speeds are slower than 3G

Same results before and after I enabled all bands.

Live in NJ, 07083, no official LTE but my N5 sometimes shows it is connected but slower than 3G speeds.

So is my issue related to what is going on here? I show that I am connected to LTE but my speeds are roughly .25 to .50 Mbps down.

I am currently in the virgin islands and lte is working perfect on my nexus 5 but I will be back home in atlanta on thursday which has lots of band 41 sites all over the place.  I will give an update then.

• Like 1

Handset:  Nexus 5

When connected to LTE then going to making a phone call, will always default to 1x voice and not 1x800. (I'm in a heavily saturated 800SMR area)

. Will test the sites west of town that are 4G / 3G accepted.

. LTE works great west of Lincoln for the 3G/4g accepted sites

Screenshot_2013-11-09-19-35-17_zps6a7935

• Like 1