LTE Plus / Enhanced LTE (was "Sprint Spark" - Official Name for the Tri-Band Network)

Hey guys I thought I'd just share something that I observed with the latest iOS beta - I think Sprint has managed to implement some form of SIB13 in their network where the network instructs the device when to hand over to the CDMA network. Before this beta, when I would drop LTE, I would momentarily drop data before my phone picked up 1x and then switched to 3G. If I were running a speed test while I dropped LTE, it would fail. As of yesterday, when my phone drops LTE, it goes straight to 3G, without ever dropping the data connection or connecting to 1x. I ran a speedtest in a low signal area (-118 B25) and blocked the signal to the phone with my hands about 5 seconds through the test. The phone handed down to 3G and the data session was not interrupted - the speedtest continued. Im not sure but I think that this is probably in preparation for VoLTE. Thoughts anyone?

It's always done that on Android I believe.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

• Like 2

It's always done that on Android I believe.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Yes it has, but not entirely smooth handoffs. Last year, you could lose LTE and go to 3G immediately but unfortunately any media streams or videos would get timed out.

Fortunately early this year, Sprint managed to fix that. LTE to eHRPD hand offs (and eHRPD to LTE) are all smooth now. I can have a video chat or a live stream and not get timed out if I move from one technology to another. Also, going back to LTE from 3G happens automatically now, even if you have active data sessions.

• Like 1

Also, going back to LTE from 3G happens automatically now, even if you have active data sessions.

Well this is good to hear. I am thinking of returning to Sprint. according to a sales rep (since they are to always be trusted), supposedly Sprint's phones no longer have that huge 30 minute delay for trying to reconnect to LTE; Effectively negating the need to toggle airplane mode. I know what you said doesn't answer my inquiry and likely does not correlate to it, but seeing that the phones can switch from EVDO to LTE during an active data session, makes me hopeful that the rescan interval has also been improved.

Also I have been out of the loop on Sprint stuff for almost two years. need to learn more about how reliable LTE connectivity has become with improvements and availability of band 41; unfortunately it seems that the South Bay market threads are dead.

Well this is good to hear. I am thinking of returning to Sprint. according to a sales rep (since they are to always be trusted), supposedly Sprint's phones no longer have that huge 30 minute delay for trying to reconnect to LTE; Effectively negating the need to toggle airplane mode. I know what you said doesn't answer my inquiry and likely does not correlate to it, but seeing that the phones can switch from EVDO to LTE during an active data session, makes me hopeful that the rescan interval has also been improved.

Also I have been out of the loop on Sprint stuff for almost two years. need to learn more about how reliable LTE connectivity has become with improvements and availability of band 41; unfortunately it seems that the South Bay market threads are dead.

South bay can be approximated from the SF market thread most likely. You can generally assume similar rates of progress and coverage. I don't track the South Bay since I never go down there and haven't really had anyone contribute data from it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Keep in mind that network quality varies by market. I've seen 3G (eHRPD) to LTE handoff in the East Texas, Houston, Austin, and San Antonio markets. This may not be the case in the Bay Area.

For example, some people claim B41 is very reliable. But here in Texas, B41 is pretty useless for the most part. B41 acts like a glorified wifi hotspot when it comes to coverage and it can't penetrate a wall once you get past 1,000 feet away from the cell tower. Tall trees with heavy foliage can kill B41 extremely fast as well.

The network still has a long way to go. I personally don't recommend Sprint in my area to friends.

Keep in mind that network quality varies by market. I've seen 3G (eHRPD) to LTE handoff in the East Texas, Houston, Austin, and San Antonio markets. This may not be the case in the Bay Area.

For example, some people claim B41 is very reliable. But here in Texas, B41 is pretty useless for the most part. B41 acts like a glorified wifi hotspot when it comes to coverage and it can't penetrate a wall once you get past 1,000 feet away from the cell tower. Tall trees with heavy foliage can kill B41 extremely fast as well.

The network still has a long way to go. I personally don't recommend Sprint in my area to friends.

In Philly right when NV started happening I had barely usable voice and data at my house, now I carry B41 all throughout my house. I rarely see B25, B26 here and there when B41 won't reach but generally I am on B41 95% of the time. It's an amazing difference from a few years ago, Sprint has come a long way, but unfortunately they still need a lot of work in a lot of areas.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

What are the GCI's? Is it a new pattern or new sectors? Neat stuff if real.

They seem to differ by 8 in decimal (iPhone doesn't report GCIs in hex). I will grab some screenshots later although I am trying to enjoy the hawks game ???? - that's where I am.

What are the GCI's? Is it a new pattern or new sectors? Neat stuff if real.

There might be a jump between the lower set of 2 (maybe 3) carriers (the set including 39874 and 40072) and the higher set (40978, 41176 and 41374) athough my phone is camped out on 40978/41176 right now so I can't really check. I have verified that all 5 carriers are coming from the same sector though.

Sprint is promoting the launch of LTE Plus in the LA Metro market.  I received an email from them this morning announcing "a faster, better network experience."

I personally have not noticed a difference.  Of course I don't have a 3xCA capable phone.

Sprint is promoting the launch of LTE Plus in the LA Metro market.  I received an email from them this morning announcing "a faster, better network experience."

I personally have not noticed a difference.  Of course I don't have a 3xCA capable phone.

I think this is in tandem with the new HTC Bolt, which seems to be the only device certified to run 3xCA.
  • Like 1

Same goes for Pixel, No mention anywhere either. Maybe Sprint is blocking them from accessing 3XCA from their end.

Actually, Sprint news room said it's currently 2xCA and via a future update it will be 3xCA.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

As long as they are within 256 they should be coming from the same site but if you post the screenshots latter I can do the math to find the GCIs.

Hey just realized I forgot to post screenshots after the game.  Here they are.

IMG_5597.PNG

IMG_5598.PNG

IMG_5600.PNG

IMG_5601.PNG

• Like 1

Just thinking outloud, but why does would Sprint keep adding only 20MHz carriers.  In tech industry, you need to change things in order of magnitude, so while we start with 1 20MHz B41.  Adding second carrier doubled the bandwidth.  3rd carrier only increased it by 50% (and even less when you factor in B26 and 2xB25).  So my question is this.

Why isn't the third B41 carrier 40MHz?  Why have 6 B41 carriers each 20 Mhz instead of fewer 40 MHz or 60MHz carriers?

0B746801
0B69E53A
0B69E532
0B746804

It looks like like a mini micro and an 8t8r the mini micro is probably used as the DAS they normally replace clearwire sites. They probably are using 6 carriers just so the 8t8r goes a little farther without interference. With such a low GCI for the 8t8r the site number is most likely very early. Some one would have to create a spreadsheet to be sure.

Just thinking outloud, but why does would Sprint keep adding only 20MHz carriers. In tech industry, you need to change things in order of magnitude, so while we start with 1 20MHz B41. Adding second carrier doubled the bandwidth. 3rd carrier only increased it by 50% (and even less when you factor in B26 and 2xB25). So my question is this.

Why isn't the third B41 carrier 40MHz? Why have 6 B41 carriers each 20 Mhz instead of fewer 40 MHz or 60MHz carriers?

Just a guess but maybe we have something called standards that say a LTE carrier is limited to bandwidths of 1.4/3/5/10/15/20 MHz each.

:wink wink:

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk