LTE Plus / Enhanced LTE (was "Sprint Spark" - Official Name for the Tri-Band Network)

Was the forum locked for a second? I swear I couldn't get into it without an error message saying I needed a password popping up.

Sent from my shiny Space Grey iPhone 6 using Tapatalk 3.2.1

Was the forum locked for a second? I swear I couldn't get into it without an error message saying I needed a password popping up.

Sent from my shiny Space Grey iPhone 6 using Tapatalk 3.2.1

Not that I'm aware of.

The password is…vagina.

AJ

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

What does this mean for us? Do we have to get new phones?!? Isn't the note edge the only phone with all the capabilities to truly utilize this? I'm just hoping they really get the speeds up to snuff with everyone else, because even in the places that have b41 active, the speeds...well, just make me a little sad :(

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2903874/sprint-to-rollout-lte-advanced-to-chicago-area.html

• Like 2

What does this mean for us? Do we have to get new phones?!? Isn't the note edge the only phone with all the capabilities to truly utilize this? I'm just hoping they really get the speeds up to snuff with everyone else, because even in the places that have b41 active, the speeds...well, just make me a little sad :(

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2903874/sprint-to-rollout-lte-advanced-to-chicago-area.html

That was my question.  Are there any phones out now, or coming soon, that have the capabilities to take advantage of all of this?

Note 4 Edge, Galaxy S6 & S6 Edge, LG G Flex 2. And I believe the HTC One M9. Probably every flagship device going forward.

Sprint only recently completed Carrier Aggregation (LTE Advanced) trials and has been able to have device OEM's start producing them.

Using Moto X² on Tapatalk

EDIT: Added Flex 2

• Like 6

Don't forget the G flex 2 is capable of this as well! All handsets on Sprints network will benefit the additional B41 carrier. Gives more B41 access for Spark handsets which will alleviate congestion issues with band 25 so single band LTE devices will have a better experience too.

• Like 2

For Sprint, the Note series always seems to be the last device of the year with the previous year's technologies. And usually the very next device after has the new stuff. Samsung's Note development timelines seem to run perfect against Sprint's network initiatives. In some ways, the iPhone has the same problem. It comes out right before the Note each year.

But devices that come out in Late Fall typically are able to work with Sprint's new network initiatives. Like the Nexus series and the LG G series.

Using Moto X² on Tapatalk

• Like 4

Even if your Spark phone isn't capable of carrier aggregation you'll still benefit from increased speeds with the increased capacity of a second carrier.

• Like 6

Hello,

Sprint just announced a new LTE Advanced implementation in Chicagoland.

Chicago already is a Spark enabled area so I wonder just what LTE Advanced offers over and above Spark?

Also and possibly more important to me is will my iPhone 6+ exploit any LTE Advanced functions? In otherwords should I expect any improvements with LTE Advanced and if yes what?

Thanks in advance,

J

• Like 1

I know its in the plan but I hope devices next year support FDD TDD carrier aggregation.

Indeed. It was mentioned here among other places: http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprint-bring-carrier-aggregation-all-its-lte-bands-bid-boost-performance/2015-02-05

Sprint CEO Marcelo Claure said implementing carrier aggregation across all Sprint spectrum bands means Sprint eventually will be able to deploy 1900 MHz FDD-LTE for uplink and 2.5 GHz TD-LTE for downlink, and ultimately improve the coverage of 2.5 GHz LTE to levels that its 1900 MHz spectrum currently achieves.

And I'm very intrigued by the prospect. Hopefully flagship devices in the latter part of the year will start including this ability along with 3x CA.

• Like 1

Hello,

Sprint just announced a new LTE Advanced implementation in Chicagoland.

Chicago already is a Spark enabled area so I wonder just what LTE Advanced offers over and above Spark?

Also and possibly more important to me is will my iPhone 6+ exploit any LTE Advanced functions? In otherwords should I expect any improvements with LTE Advanced and if yes what?

Thanks in advance,

J

Many LTE advanced technologies are tower/network side and are used to improve network efficiency and optimization, which benefits all devices.

Carrier aggregation is a part of LTE advanced and will combine 2 20MHz band 41 carriers for increased throughput. That is only possible on handsets that support carrier aggregation. The iPhone 6 does not

That is only possible on handsets that support carrier aggregation. The iPhone 6 does not

Hmm. I thought the iPhone 6 does support carrier aggregation just not wideband.

Hmm. I thought the iPhone 6 does support carrier aggregation just not wideband.

Other way around.

Other way around.

OK I found your post here that explains it.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-374-and-the-band-41-marches-onin-the-new-iphone-6-and-iphone-6-plus-for-sprint/

So if I understand it correctly Sprint's LTE Advanced Carrier Aggregation is ONLY Band 41 and ONLY 20Mhz channels.

J

OK I found your post here that explains it.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-374-and-the-band-41-marches-onin-the-new-iphone-6-and-iphone-6-plus-for-sprint/

So if I understand it correctly Sprint's LTE Advanced Carrier Aggregation is ONLY Band 41 and ONLY 20Mhz channels.

J

The chip in the iphone 6/6+ supports Sprint's B41 only up to 20mhz channels.  The LTE Advanced that is being deployed is carrier aggregation which combines 2 carriers of B41. The Iphone 6/6+ do not support this.  However, the 6/6+ will benefit from multiple carriers of B41 being available.

In simpler terms, once the second B41 carrier (think another highway parallel to an existing one) is onair, your phone will be able to connect to whichever is the least busiest, so you'll get faster consistent speeds.

• Like 2

There will be 40MHz available in two channels instead of 20MHz in one channel.  Basically meaning that with half the customers on each channel, throughput speeds should be double than if just one for the same amount of customers.  So two B41 channels helps even non CA devices quite nicely.  An instant doubling of speeds.

• Like 5