Will Sprint now be moving to SIM based authentication for CDMA?

People keep saying the 5s has a CSIM, but has anyone tried pulling on out and putting it in another 5s or 5c to see if it works?

The iPhone 5s/5c do use CSIM cards. The UICC Compatibility Matrix I posted does not show the new CSIM cards being compatible with older devices. It does however show the older UICC cards from the iPhone 5 being compatible with the 5s/5c.

The information contained in that matrix comes directly from Sprint documentation for field technicians to determine which replacement cards are compatible with which models. I have recreated a similar matrix using Google Docs and posted it here, as it is information easily obtained from community research, trial, and error. I just took the requirement of us all having to go through the testing and got rid of that step entirely. Nothing contained in that matrix is internal-only and unobtainable by the general public with time and effort.

The iPhone 5s/5c do use CSIM cards. The UICC Compatibility Matrix I posted does not show the new CSIM cards being compatible with older devices. It does however show the older UICC cards from the iPhone 5 being compatible with the 5s/5c.

The information contained in that matrix comes directly from Sprint documentation for field technicians to determine which replacement cards are compatible with which models. I have recreated a similar matrix using Google Docs and posted it here, as it is information easily obtained from community research, trial, and error. I just took the requirement of us all having to go through the testing and got rid of that step entirely. Nothing contained in that matrix is internal-only and unobtainable by the general public with time and effort.

I assume you can't add information about the LG G2 yet to that UICC Compatibility Matrix?

I assume you can't add information about the LG G2 yet to that UICC Compatibility Matrix?

Not yet. I'm not at work currently (vacation) so I can't access the internal tools. Sprint's UICC cards don't have any obvious signs on the cards themselves to determine exactly which card it is (at least not that I've been able to discern).

• 5 months later...

Besides Sprint has already committed the resources to already implement a CSIM authentication system for the iPhone 5S/5C so your plea against this is already OBE.  Now that the CSIM system has been established, why wouldn't they try to migrate all LTE phones going forward to use the new CSIM card system?  It just seems like such a no brainer to do this to keep all CDMA and LTE information on a removable SIM card and be more efficient.

last night,

i switched to 3g only,

turned the nexus 5 off

pulled the sim out,

booted up,

got the 3g icon in the notification tray, but the swipe down read *no internet connection*,

made a test call to the work line,

it went through, (twice) & fast,

tried speedtest - error came back that *there was a network problem* from the app,

browser wouldn't load any pages...

i noticed for awhile that no data was travelling through 1x, while on the metro subway underground, some parts where i'd roam on vzw, i now get native sprint 3g, w/o roaming turned on, texts thru hangouts only go thru while 3g showed, when back in the early days before evdo, sms & data went thru 1xrtt..

i type that only to say, that not only does the sprint sim provision lte, but evdo also! (this i didn't know) everyone equates the sim with provisioning lte only on sprint,

but it seems it's all of it's data traffic (both evdo in addition to lte)..

but not the 1xrtt voice channel -

i could make & receive calls w/o the sim inserted, but not send nor receive data, even though the 3g channel was recoqnized by the handset in the notification tray..

last night,

i switched to 3g only,

turned the nexus 5 off

pulled the sim out,

booted up,

got the 3g icon in the notification tray, but the swipe down read *no internet connection*,

made a test call to the work line,

it went through, (twice) & fast,

tried speedtest - error came back that *there was a network problem* from the app,

browser wouldn't load any pages...

i noticed for awhile that no data was travelling through 1x, while on the metro subway underground, some parts where i'd roam on vzw, i now get native sprint 3g, w/o roaming turned on, texts thru hangouts only go thru while 3g showed, when back in the early days before evdo, sms & data went thru 1xrtt..

i type that only to say, that not only does the sprint sim provision lte, but evdo also! (this i didn't know) everyone equates the sim with provisioning lte only on sprint,

but it seems it's all of it's data traffic (both evdo in addition to lte)..

but not the 1xrtt voice channel -

i could make & receive calls w/o the sim inserted, but not send nor receive data, even though the 3g channel was recoqnized by the handset in the notification tray..

Did you disable eHRPD?

Did you disable eHRPD?

no, didn't see a way..

just set it to 3g in *prefered network type*

no sim card, no evdo nor lte data

but OK for voice..

handset's number & imei already provisioned for service on the network side, letting the call thru?

(fallback / failsafe for a lost sim, etc)

no, didn't see a way..

just set it to 3g in *prefered network type*

no sim card, no evdo nor lte data

but OK for voice..

handset's number & imei already provisioned for service on the network side, letting the call thru?

(fallback / failsafe for a lost sim, etc)

this is what i get from signl check pro -

https://plus.google.com/100566062990321750433/posts/McXPjqPjsni

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried a Sprint iphone 5S sim yet in a Verizon iphone 5S? :-)

The Verizon iPhone 5S and Sprint iPhone 5S are different models. Not saying it wouldn't work, but you won't have access to all of the proper frequencies supported by Sprint, just like using an old AT&T iPhone 3G didn't get you 3G data if you were using a T-Mobile SIM card.

Yeah.. with the CSIM swapping and MEID locking and the MEID having to be in inventory... if you get past that, it looks like the Sprint model has all the bands Verizon does plus, the Sprint one has bands 18 (is this one even used in the US?) and 26 (SMR).  

• Model A1533 (CDMA) (Verizon)*: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25)
  • Model A1453 (CDMA) (Sprint): CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26)

Yeah.. with the CSIM swapping and MEID locking and the MEID having to be in inventory... if you get past that, it looks like the Sprint model has all the bands Verizon does plus, the Sprint one has bands 18 (is this one even used in the US?) and 26 (SMR).  

• Model A1533 (CDMA) (Verizon)*: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25)
  • Model A1453 (CDMA) (Sprint): CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26)

I believe Band 26 is a superset of band 18. So all of Band 18 fits within Band 26 essentially... At least that's what it looks like from a 30 second Google search. http://niviuk.free.fr/lte_band.php 

I notice that your listing does not show 800/850 EVDO/1xRTT band differences properly. Listing 800MHz as a frequency was used commonly for the 850 service Verizon uses because it didn't make a difference previously since 800 was being used for iDEN only. Now that 800 is also being used for CDMA, there is a difference, but some listings still don't separate them out, even though they are separate bands. So it is quite possible that there are missing frequencies in that list, as at least 800/850 are messed up already.

My question then is why does Model A1533 even exist then if A1453 supports everything it does, plus more? There must be some other difference that's not shown in there, otherwise there's no reason for it to exist at all as it just costs Apple more to produce multiple different models.

Band 18 is a subset of band 26, meaning once you support band 26 you also get band 18 "for free".

I suspect that in the next iteration of the iPhone, all 4 major carriers will use one SKU. AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon already share the same 5S variant.

• Like 1

My question then is why does Model A1533 even exist then if A1453 supports everything it does, plus more? There must be some other difference that's not shown in there, otherwise there's no reason for it to exist at all as it just costs Apple more to produce multiple different models.

I've wondered the same thing ever since the 5S came out. In fact for the iPad Air and Mini Retina cellular models they essentially used the "Sprint variant" for all 4 carriers (with band support identical to the iPhone 5S for Sprint).

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does CSIM mean an increased chance that unlocked phones like the next version of the Nexus 5 will continue to be supported by Sprint in the future?

Does CSIM mean an increased chance that unlocked phones like the next version of the Nexus 5 will continue to be supported by Sprint in the future?

Not really.  CSIM had no bearing on Nexus 5 compatibility with Sprint.  LTE band and CDMA2000 band class support dictated that.

Now, with the transition to CSIM authentication, it is possible that Sprint will drop its whitelist protocol and allow any compatible device to SIM register on the network.  In that case, an unlocked handset that supports, for example, band 25 LTE but not CDMA2000 could be partly functional on the network.  Is that what you mean?

AJ

Not really. CSIM had no bearing on Nexus 5 compatibility with Sprint. LTE band and CDMA2000 band class support dictated that.

Now, with the transition to CSIM authentication, it is possible that Sprint will drop its whitelist protocol and allow any compatible device to SIM register on the network. In that case, an unlocked handset that supports, for example, band 25 LTE but not CDMA2000 could be partly functional on the network. Is that what you mean?

AJ

Thanks. Yes, I understand that it would have to be manufactured with compatible frequencies in cooperation with Sprint. I was just curious since they are moving to SIM registering if it was more likely that that cooperation would continue in the future? Once I went stock Android I know it is going to be very hard for me to go back to anything else.

• Like 1