FreedomPop - Now in tri-band LTE

iansltx

Today FreedomPop announced the availability of the MiFi 500 (the tri-band one...they just call it by the internal model number rather than the marketing model number) on their service. This includes the free 500MB data option, as well as the more expensive plans (e.g. 2GB for $20). The device itself is $150.

They're offering a couple of promotions right now that net you 3GB at no additional charge (beyond the device cost) for the first month.

I'm trying to pick one up but am having issues getting their website to let me order anything.

For folks who want to try out TD-LTE/LTE in 800 and don't want to sign a contract/don't need 3GB of data on their hotspot and don't want to pay $35+ per month as a result, this works. And the 500MB plan (400MB if you don't want the possibility of paying overages) is enough for occasional access...and it's free!

• Like 4

Today FreedomPop announced the availability of the MiFi 500 (the tri-band one...they just call it by the internal model number rather than the marketing model number) on their service. This includes the free 500MB data option, as well as the more expensive plans (e.g. 2GB for $20). The device itself is $150.

They're offering a couple of promotions right now that net you 3GB at no additional charge (beyond the device cost) for the first month.

I'm trying to pick one up but am having issues getting their website to let me order anything.

For folks who want to try out TD-LTE/LTE in 800 and don't want to sign a contract/don't need 3GB of data on their hotspot and don't want to pay $35+ per month as a result, this works. And the 500MB plan (400MB if you don't want the possibility of paying overages) is enough for occasional access...and it's free!

I wonder if I can use the free MiFi 500 I got from wirefly. I have a few days left on my 14 day trial with sprint.

That sounds like a pretty good deal. I'm having issues with the site as well. Apparently a few people are looking to pick up one of the midis.

This sounds like a good deal but I do want to know why sprint is basically whoring out its LTE network to all of these MVNO companys so fast. Every other company only has a few while sprint has at least 10 of them and I can't help but think there network would be a little less burdened if they stopped doing this or just kept boost, virgin, and ting

This sounds like a good deal but I do want to know why sprint is basically whoring out its LTE network to all of these MVNO companys so fast. Every other company only has a few while sprint has at least 10 of them and I can't help but think there network would be a little less burdened if they stopped doing this or just kept boost, virgin, and ting

Well, in my case it kept me from moving to another carrier completely. So, Sprint still gets revenue off of my service at Ting and I am not providing money to competitors. Win-win in terms of "losing" a customer. Once Triband phones are here I plan to go back to Sprint but I have to say, having a $38 phone bill is pretty damn exciting.

Sprint needs to build a network that supports double their current subscribers.  And they are.  They need all the subscribers they can get.  Protecting the current network from new users is not going to get you the results you want.  Building a mondo network that rivals and can support as many customers as the duopoly have is the answer.  And that is what SoftBank is doing.

Don't panic.  Enjoy the ride.

Robert

• Like 6

Im not saying MVNOs aren't good but couldn't they wait until after the rollout to add more. Makes more sense to me. Also Sprint leaves little exclusives for the people in contract almost like they want more people to switch to no contract. If that's the case they should just do what tmobile did and dismiss them

I wonder if I can use the free MiFi 500 I got from wirefly. I have a few days left on my 14 day trial with sprint.

I'm starting to wonder the same thing. I like the MiFi, but I'm not a huge fan of $35/mo for 3GB of data when I'll have unlimited on my iPhone later...

FreedomPop used to run on WiMax... so if anything, this is just a continuation of that agreement.

Just spoke with FreedomPop. Supposedly, you cannot port a Sprint Novatel MiFi 500 TriBand hotspot over to them.

I only spoke with one CS Rep, so I might have been given incorrect information.

What number did you call?  Cannot find a phone number on their website.

When added to cart, it shows $34.99? Does this seem right?

eSdhuec.png

I noticed this too.  That's not the Tri-band hotspot.  I don't know why, but the Tri-Band isn't showing up at my home address either only this one.  When I put in a different address in Raleigh then it showed the MiFi 5580 as an option for $149.

Even though LTE is available and showing on Sprint's coverage maps in my area FreedomPop won't give me this hotspot as an option.  Don't know why.  Wondering if the hotspot we're being shown is an LTE "4G" hotspot or a WiMax hotspot?

that looks different than the hotspot @ http://www.freedompop.com/LTEhotspot

Interesting...  if I follow that link then put in my address it tells me service is not available.  However, you can click "Get Anyway" on that screen and you can still get the 5580 for $149.  Going from the main website and putting in my address first I don't have that option at all.

if they made this plan available with the lte mifi, then I would jump at it. but for 2 gig. hell noz.

FASTEST
8X SPEED 
$18.99 / month

Up to 8Mbps

Ideal for photo sharing, gaming, and video streaming

10 GB 
Extra data 0.7¢ per MB

http://www.freedompop.com/home/plans?experience=home.default

Interesting...  if I follow that link then put in my address it tells me service is not available.  However, you can click "Get Anyway" on that screen and you can still get the 5580 for $149.  Going from the main website and putting in my address first I don't have that option at all.

Yeah, "get anyway" seems to be the best route. Otherwise you may end up with WiMAX devices. Like the older MiFi you were seeing. You don't want that.

I only get the choice for the freedom spot photon. I cant find the mifi... Do they base the device options on your location?

bucdenny what zip code are you entering?

Yep. Pick a zip/address in an LTE area (or use "get anyway"); you can edit shipping/billing zip later.

if they made this plan available with the lte mifi, then I would jump at it. but for 2 gig. hell noz.

FASTEST

8X SPEED 

$18.99 / month

Up to 8Mbps

Ideal for photo sharing, gaming, and video streaming

10 GB 

Extra data 0.7¢ per MB

http://www.freedompop.com/home/plans?experience=home.default

I'm not using the hotspot as a wireline replacement, which is what FreedomPop is targeting with the package you're quoting there. Which is only available in certain Clearwire areas, where you could just as easily get $50 unlimited with a different-colored modem.

And because I'm not using it as a wireline replacement, I'm comparing its price to the price I pay for mobile data from other carriers. $40 for 5GB for T-Mobile. $20 for 1GB or $30 for 2GB for Verizon. Or you could compare to Sprint's packages, but they don't have anything below $35 for hotspots. In every case except comparing FreedomPop with Sprint's higher-end plans, FreedomPop wins.

I'm not using the hotspot as a wireline replacement, which is what FreedomPop is targeting with the package you're quoting there. Which is only available in certain Clearwire areas, where you could just as easily get $50 unlimited with a different-colored modem.

And because I'm not using it as a wireline replacement, I'm comparing its price to the price I pay for mobile data from other carriers. $40 for 5GB for T-Mobile. $20 for 1GB or $30 for 2GB for Verizon. Or you could compare to Sprint's packages, but they don't have anything below $35 for hotspots. In every case except comparing FreedomPop with Sprint's higher-end plans, FreedomPop wins.

it should not matter (but I realize they try to make it so) whether the 2 or 10 gig is for 'wireline replacement' or hotspot.

I know that is the same home router as clear, because I have a clear home router, and a clear hotspot.

My point is that, I won't pay 18$ for 2gig on a hotspot, when the same 18$ buys you 10 gig for a 'home' wireless.

They will be prying my 50$ unlimited clearspot from my cold dead hands.

Website seemed pretty simple to me.

the website annoyingly keeps making you input your zip/address/email just to try to see what plans and devices they have.