How to Spot Clearwire TDD-LTE / Wimax Antennas & RRUs (Samsung)

lilotimz

The site is in Clayton, NC (Hwy 42 & Barbour Mill Rd in case anyone is familiar with the area). Sorry for the terrible photo, only had my phone handy at the time. My area is pretty much entirely lte averaging around 20mbps download.

Well from the looks of it, the rack of panels that is just below the rack on the top is the Sprint NV equipment, and the very bottom rack is Clearwire. (As always, someone correct me if I'm wrong, because I wouldn't be surprised if I am ;) ) But you probably already knew that.

Do you know if there are any other Clear sites around you? I ask because you have a signal strength of -95 dBm, and if you are standing VERY CLOSE to the tower in question, then it could be possible that you are picking up Band 41 from a different site, because your signal should be much stronger from that close.

And about your download/upload speeds, I wouldn't be very surprised if the reason your speeds are like that is because the site isn't running on upgraded backhaul. Now sure, they may have ran the new backhaul (like you said) but they might not have hooked it up yet. But if what I asked above is true(about whether or not this is indeed the site you are connected to), it's possible you could be connected to another site, that is probably not running on the upgraded backhaul yet.

-Anthony

• Like 1

I should have clarified, I was well on my way home before I grabbed the engineering screen shot. I'm positive I was connected to the site in question. I'll take a telephoto down there any try to get some better shots after work. Also, as far as I know those are T-Mobile AIRs below the NV 1.0 equipment? New photos around 6PM EST

Edited by dapiz987

Also, unrelated, but I'm in a very bad area today where the best I get is spotty 3g. Out of curiosity I forced my device to CDMA only, its connected to "secondary 800" 1x only, 3 bars vs 0 evdo... this is the fastest 1x I've ever seen. I can actually stream DI Radio at 64k without a single hiccup somehow. It seems dumb to praise 1x, but I can use my phone in an area that was completely dead before thanks to 800mhz. This makes B26 LTE look even sweeter!

Edited by dapiz987

I should have clarified, I was well on my way home before I grabbed the engineering screen shot. I'm positive I was connected to the site in question. I'll take a telephoto down there any try to get some better shots after work. Also, as far as I know those are T-Mobile AIRs below the NV 1.0 equipment? New photos around 6PM EST

Yep, those are AIRs. :)

Also, unrelated, but I'm in a very bad area today where the best I get is spotty 3g. Out of curiosity I forced my device to CDMA only, its connected to "secondary 800" 1x only, 3 bars vs 0 evdo... this is the fastest 1x I've ever seen. I can actually stream DI Radio at 64k without a single hiccup somehow. It seems dumb to praise 1x, but I can use my phone in an area that was completely dead before thanks to 800mhz. This makes B26 LTE look even sweeter!

I hate to dampen your excitement, but the North Carolina Department of Public Safety is holding up 800 LTE rollout all throughout NC because they currently use the spectrum for their radio system. They are working on moving to different spectrum, and hopefully the issue will be resolved around the end of Summer, but only time will tell. 1x is the only 800 we're gonna see for awhile. But hey, it's still pretty sweet. I now have signal in areas where my Verizonite friends don't. :P
  • Like 1

I now have signal in areas where my Verizonite friends don't. :P

That's always a good thing isn't it? Lol

I was reading about the public safety issue briefly, from what Ive read the process is moving along right?

But hey, any progress is good progress. LTE on 1900 is pretty much everywhere with speeds north of 15-20 megs (some places I'm surprised they even have running water lol), B41 is popping up and has surprisingly decent coverage considering how high it sits. I'm not going to complain... Okay, yes I am, they need to get the CSFB situation worked out around here, I'm tired of needing to force lte lol