Google Wallet

vtimmy13

Hi guys i just bought a Samsung Galaxy SIII my first 4g lte phone (i had/ still have till they deliver it htc evo 3d) and one of the features im most looking forward to is Google Wallet and NFC. I was wondering why sprint is the only one of the big 4 carriers to support Google Wallet... Plus is there a big difference between this and Isis.... Plus anyone use google wallet? Any comments on if it is useful, or just a gimmick?

Btw i was just thinking if google is really getting competition from isis i would just instaull Google wallet as required bloatware for android.. that way the carriers have to either let google wallet go on or go androidless i think we all know the carriers would keep android and give up on isis

I use it an love it.  no need for me to sign anything, take out my wallet and fuss with cards, and the financial tracking is perfect for me since i like to view what i bout and hate those paper receipts. In my area, there are a lot of place going the NFC route, so it works for me.  Now if i could add creditor specific cards...

As for why sprint, they don't have too many options as customer totals are decreasing.  Also, sprint tends to be more of a leave the phone alone type company.

I used to use Google Wallet all the time on my EVO, I really liked it.  But, I haven't been able to get it on my Optiums G.  Is it not in the app store? Does the Optumus G not support it? Does anyone know how I can get it? Thanks!

I use it every time that it's available. The biggest reason I use it is because of the Virtual Card that is used. I've had my card information stolen, and this way it's just a little harder to have the information stolen. Plus it's simple and I love surprising people when I use it :D

• Like 1

I use it every time that it's available. The biggest reason I use it is because of the Virtual Card that is used. I've had my card information stolen, and this way it's just a little harder to have the information stolen. Plus it's simple and I love surprising people when I use it :D

Imagine the look on the cashiers face for example at McDonalds when you just paid for your food with a CellPhone, Priceless.

Imagine the look on the cashiers face for example at McDonalds when you just paid for your food with a CellPhone, Priceless.

My all time favorite reaction was when I took a trip to Naples, at a CVS, I had forgotten my wallet, but CVS is now using NFC, so I take my phone out and tap it against the terminal. This girl looked at me and completely flipped. She was saying how amazing that was and that she's never seen anything like that, on and on, all while pacing back and forth. Funniest moment ever, I will never forget it.

-Luis

• Like 3

As for why sprint, they don't have too many options as customer totals are decreasing.  Also, sprint tends to be more of a leave the phone alone type company.

Isis is actually a project created in a joint venture involving at&t Inc, Verizon Wireless, and T-Mobile. Sprint is not part of this partnership. It would be stupid for the other three to create a 1st-party payment system while supporting a 3rd-party payment option. Plus, through Isis, the carriers receive money in the transactions; Google Wallet does not share any of it's revenue to the carrier.

Of course with a little bit of custom ROM magic and downloading APKs, you can install Google Wallet on at&t, Verizon and T-Mobile cell phones.

Isis is actually a project created in a joint venture involving at&t Inc, Verizon Wireless, and T-Mobile. Sprint is not part of this partnership. It would be stupid for the other three to create a 1st-party payment system while supporting a 3rd-party payment option. Plus, through Isis, the carriers receive money in the transactions; Google Wallet does not share any of it's revenue to the carrier.

Of course with a little bit of custom ROM magic and downloading APKs, you can install Google Wallet on at&t, Verizon and T-Mobile cell phones.

If that's true, then that's probably the reason why they don't allow Google Wallet.

I use it at McDonald's, Jack in the Box, (the few time that I eat fast food) and at Home Depot.

The cashier's at Home Depot said they have never seen anyone use the NFC. Never had any one at HD ask for ID when I pay by Google Wallet unlike sometimes using a credit card. 

lol i would think google would bake google wallet into android as standerd bloatware that comes with every android! That way the carrier has to let google wallet be on it!  

U.S. carriers really have to lay of cell phones and how we use them!

lol i would think google would bake google wallet into android as standerd bloatware that comes with every android! That way the carrier has to let google wallet be on it!

U.S. carriers really have to lay of cell phones and how we use them!

Google "baking" it in means nothing. Android is open source, therefore it can (and will be) changed by anyone. If the carrier says that they don't want Google Wallet in the phone, it won't be in there no matter what Google says or does.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Google "baking" it in means nothing. Android is open source, therefore it can (and will be) changed by anyone. If the carrier says that they don't want Google Wallet in the phone, it won't be in there no matter what Google says or does.

If Google wants it there, they can make a good enough argument to the carriers opposed to it. It's all business. Google obviously doesn't care enough about Wallet as a platform to pursue it however.

If Google wants it there, they can make a good enough argument to the carriers opposed to it. It's all business. Google obviously doesn't care enough about Wallet as a platform to pursue it however.

The argument that the carriers want would be control (ISIS). Something tells me that Google is not willing to give them that. The carriers are not going to throw away the millions, if not billions collectively if you count all the various partners, that they have invested and put a competitor with name recognition (Google) on their customers phones. Like you said, it's all business. If ISIS fails, then yes, they may be more open to work with Google to make it happen. That being said, none of us are privy to the conversations that may or may not be taking place regarding the competing NFC payment platforms.

Been thinking about setting up Google Wallet? In my area i don't see a lot of NFC capable CC machines. Just wondering if the S4GRU members are utilizing Google wallet and maybe some Nationwide chain stores that have NFC capable devices?

Been thinking about setting up Google Wallet? In my area i don't see a lot of NFC capable CC machines. Just wondering if the S4GRU members are utilizing Google wallet and maybe some Nationwide chain stores that have NFC capable devices?

It has been talked about here 

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4305-google-wallet/

• 1 month later...