•  

Photo

Verizon Edge, AT&T Next, Tmobile Jump. What is Sprint going to do to compete?

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#41 iansltx

iansltx

S4GRU Contributing Author

• S4GRU Staff Member
  • 1,188 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Nexus 5 32GB Black
  • LocationNW Austin

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:33 PM

Sprint has a real big opportunity here to attach like 12 or 15 month upgrades to the all in 110 plan. I think something like that could be huge and help increase customers MRC which would help Sprint make more money.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Was thinking the same thing. If they gave a new-customer-price upgrade every year or less (say, an upgrade credit every 8-10 months) to users of the $110 plan, I could see myself shelling out the dough for it.

Other active devices: 3rd-gen iPad (VZW LTE), Galaxy Tab 4 (Sprint), Netgear Zing (Sprint), Karma hotspot (Clearwire), MiFi 500 (FreedomPop).
Other active SIMs (for my Nexus 5): T-Mobile ($30 plan)

#42 centermedic

centermedic

Member Level: 4G WiMax

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  • Phones/Devices:HTC One(M8), HTC One(M7), Nexus 7(2013), Evo 4g lte(spare), Evo 3D(spare)
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:26 PM

Sprint has a real big opportunity here to attach like 12 or 15 month upgrades to the all in 110 plan. I think something like that could be huge and help increase customers MRC which would help Sprint make more money.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I have a sneaky suspicion that currently Sprint does not want any new customers or wants to tightly manage its growth.

#43 kg4icg

kg4icg

Member Level: eHRPD

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Samsung Ativ S Neo
  • LocationHerndon, Va

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:15 PM

Here is a example of what I'm doing on the Friday the 26th. Picking up the HTC-8XT, trading in the phone I have which have a heat problem. Paying 400 - 125 for trade in which will bring my cost down to 275 without having to readjust contact or any thing else. If I wanted to I could go the other route and do a whole contact readjustment and pay lower but I rather buy straight out. Didn't have to wait for 6 months pass by to start jump. Don't have to worry about next or edge over priced markups. And I still control what I do with my phones.
BBM 7cf26b0d

#44 maximus1987

maximus1987

Member Level: 4G WiMax

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Phones/Devices:iPhone 4 CDMA
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:37 PM

I have a sneaky suspicion that currently Sprint does not want any new customers or wants to tightly manage its growth.

I agree.
In areas without NV even started, Sprint can't even handle current customers.
Probably wants to wait till TDD is ready late 2014.

#45 WiWavelength

WiWavelength

S4GRU Technical Editor

• S4GRU Staff Member
  • 12,251 posts
  • Phones/Devices:N/A
  • LocationN/A

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:47 PM

These names are all wrong.  Fittingly, T-Mobile should call its program EDGE, AT&T Jump (in the lake), and VZW NEXT!

AJ

#46 d_rail34

d_rail34

Member Level: 3G EVDO

• S4GRU Member
  • PipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Phones/Devices:HTC EVO 4G/Galaxy Note II
  • LocationLake Charles, LA.

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:08 PM

Was that the "pay a fee and upgrade early" program?  My sister did that with her old LG Optimus S.  She wasn't due for an upgrade for like a year or something and she paid I think $100 to upgrade early and got an S2. (this was last year)

In May 2012 I was offered what was referred to as a "buy up" after learning that Sprint no longer had annual upgrades available. I wound up having to pay $165 to receive the early upgrade so that I could get my wife the Iphone that she'd been wanting.

The things we do for those we love.  :angel:

#47 GUESS2528

GUESS2528

Member Level: Digital

• S4GRU Member
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Phones/Devices:htc one
  • LocationHaddon twp NJ

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:28 AM

SPRINT HAD A EARLY UPGRADE PROGRAM BEFORE BUT DO YOU THINK THEY WILL BRING IT BACK TO COMPETE?  B)  :rolleyes: 

#48 koiulpoi

koiulpoi

Wait, I can change this? o.o

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Nexus 5 Overly Red Edition; Nexus 7 2013 WiFi; Nokia N-Gage
  • LocationWest Michigan Market

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:42 AM

In May 2012 I was offered what was referred to as a "buy up" after learning that Sprint no longer had annual upgrades available. I wound up having to pay $165 to receive the early upgrade so that I could get my wife the Iphone that she'd been wanting.

The things we do for those we love.  :angel:

SPRINT HAD A EARLY UPGRADE PROGRAM BEFORE BUT DO YOU THINK THEY WILL BRING IT BACK TO COMPETE?  B)  :rolleyes: 

This program still exists, but only in Corporate-Owned Retail stores.

Call me Koi, everyone else does.

If you're responding to my post, please quote me. I might miss it otherwise!

#49 d_rail34

d_rail34

• S4GRU Member
  • PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:15 AM

I actually had to go through account services to get the buy up offer. Initially the csr had told me that the option wasn't available in my area, so I had to go through account services to get it approved. All in all it worked out and my wife was happy...and that's always a good thing. Lol

Its good to know that sprint will work with their customers in situations like this, and they've always been willing to work with me when it comes to upgrading & contract renewals. ;)

#50 koiulpoi

koiulpoi

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:45 AM

I actually had to go through account services to get the buy up offer. Initially the csr had told me that the option wasn't available in my area, so I had to go through account services to get it approved. All in all it worked out and my wife was happy...and that's always a good thing. Lol

Its good to know that sprint will work with their customers in situations like this, and they've always been willing to work with me when it comes to upgrading & contract renewals. ;)

It definitely is good that Sprint will work with people, but the program is through, as you said, Account Services and Corporate Owned Retail only. Regular Care, as well as Preferred Retailers and other 3rd-party stores are completely incapable of offering this program. And considering the majority of Sprint stores are Preferred Retailers, that's a vast majority of stores that can't do it, so it's really not a very well-known program.

#51 d_rail34

d_rail34

• S4GRU Member
  • PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:43 PM

It definitely is good that Sprint will work with people, but the program is through, as you said, Account Services and Corporate Owned Retail only. Regular Care, as well as Preferred Retailers and other 3rd-party stores are completely incapable of offering this program. And considering the majority of Sprint stores are Preferred Retailers, that's a vast majority of stores that can't do it, so it's really not a very well-known program.

It's pretty unfortunate too. Especially concidering that everytime you upgrade your device you're renewing your contract. Sounds like a GREAT business plan to me. lol

#52 4ktvs

4ktvs

loves speedtests

• S4GRU Member
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Verizon samsung galaxy s4,Verizon samsung galaxy s3 and a GT-9100 AKA galaxy s2 on T-mobile
  • LocationRaleigh,NC

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:10 PM

I am 100% going to do Verizon's edge due to I know a loop pole. :)

AT&T's next though is a 1000% rip off. T-moblies jump is not the worst if your going to pay $8 a month anyway for insurance. ( I think that in of it's self is a rip off but that's just me.)

If they were going to be renamed it should be T-moblie jump though hoops to get 4G, AT&T next rip off and Verizon's dull Edge.

We may get Google fiber. :D :D :D :drool: :drool: :drool: :hee: :hee: :hee: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :thx: :thx: :thx: :urock: :banana: :welc3: :welcome:

#53 smalltimehack

smalltimehack

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Phones/Devices:IPhone 5S, Nexus 5 and GS5
  • LocationRacine, WI

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:22 PM

This is not true. A preferred retailer like the one I work for can still process this. It goes on the next bill instead of being paid for at the time. But it rarely takes longer than two hours and the customer is back getting their new phone.

#54 koiulpoi

koiulpoi

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

This is not true. A preferred retailer like the one I work for can still process this. It goes on the next bill instead of being paid for at the time. But it rarely takes longer than two hours and the customer is back getting their new phone.

Really? How so? We've never been able to do it (work for a PR), and there was recently some Daily News and a section of the Playbook that said in big bold all caps "PREFERRED RETAILERS CANT DO THIS SEND THEM TO CORPORATE STORES", or something similar.

PM me how you do it, if you'd rather not post it here.

#55 smalltimehack

smalltimehack

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Phones/Devices:IPhone 5S, Nexus 5 and GS5
  • LocationRacine, WI

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:40 PM

Ah. I don't remember seeing it but my manager goes over it pretty well and he still recommends we do it for customers. I did two just last Sunday. Lol.
Call 888-273-9460 which is account services and just ask for any available buyout options. Same thing as *3 on a sprint phone I believe.

#56 Keitarou

Keitarou

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Phones/Devices:iPhone 5
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:23 PM

AT&T's next though is a 1000% rip off. T-moblies jump is not the worst if your going to pay $8 a month anyway for insurance. ( I think that in of it's self is a rip off but that's just me.)

If they were going to be renamed it should be T-moblie jump though hoops to get 4G, AT&T next rip off and Verizon's dull Edge.

Share the loop hole please...

#57 WiWavelength

WiWavelength

S4GRU Technical Editor

• S4GRU Staff Member
  • 12,251 posts
  • Phones/Devices:N/A
  • LocationN/A

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

If you try to "jump" through that "loop pole," your "next" encounter might be with a solid metal "edge."

AJ

#58 4ktvs

4ktvs

loves speedtests

• S4GRU Member
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Verizon samsung galaxy s4,Verizon samsung galaxy s3 and a GT-9100 AKA galaxy s2 on T-mobile
  • LocationRaleigh,NC

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:07 AM

Share the loop hole please...

Let's just say that if you pay off half of your phone off then you Don't have to trade the SAME phone back in. Just find a cheap, 4G smart phone that's works well use it for a few days then trade it in. And start it all over again. I know an insider. :)

Just a disclaimer: If doing this, makes you lose money, unleashes an act of god, kill's your first born, or does unforeseen damage to yourself, your wife, your kids, home or any other things you own that I am not going to pay jack. :)

We may get Google fiber. :D :D :D :drool: :drool: :drool: :hee: :hee: :hee: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :thx: :thx: :thx: :urock: :banana: :welc3: :welcome:

#59 kg4icg

kg4icg

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Samsung Ativ S Neo
  • LocationHerndon, Va

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:10 AM

Let's just say that if you pay off half of your phone off then you Don't have to trade the SAME phone back in. Just find a cheap, 4G smart phone that's works well use it for a few days then trade it in. And start it all over again. I know an insider. :)

Just a disclaimer: If doing this, makes you lose money, unleashes an act of god, kill's your first born, or does unforeseen damage to yourself, your wife, your kids, home or any other things you own that I am not going to pay jack. :)

So basically what you are saying is commit fraud. Now you see why carriers take perks away.

BBM 7cf26b0d

#60 4ktvs

4ktvs

loves speedtests

• S4GRU Member
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationRaleigh,NC

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:22 AM

So basically what you are saying is commit fraud. Now you see why carriers take perks away.

I have read how the plan works and nothing in it says you have to trade the same phone in so how it is that fraud?

It's just a loop poll in how they have worded it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users