is EVDO Rev B a part of Network Vision?

A Sprint representative replied back on September 29, 2011

We are committed to continue our support for EVDO Rev A. We checked out EVDO RevB some time ago, and decided to move directly to 4G technologies. We will not be rolling out RevB
http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/buzzaboutwireless/network-and-coverage/blog/2011/09/15/what-is-sprint-network-vision#comment-29424

Denny

• Like 3

Thanks Denny. This is right on. No Revision B. But Sprint is deploying DO Advanced with its Revision A in Network Vision. It gives a lot of the benefits of Revision B, except carrier aggregation. Sprint 3G will benefit greatly from DO Advanced.

- Robert

Posted via Forum Runner

• Like 2

Thanks Denny. This is right on. No Revision B. But Sprint is deploying DO Advanced with its Revision A in Network Vision. It gives a lot of the benefits of Revision B, except carrier aggregation. Sprint 3G will benefit greatly from DO Advanced.

- Robert

Posted via Forum Runner

What is DO Advanced?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

It seems kind of silly that Sprint is replacing all the ev-do hardware and not going with Rev. b.

There is no ecosystem for rev B. All going to rev B will do for sprint will make the cost of handsets go up for them. The faster evdo data will not be a big gain as their entire network will have lte.

• Like 1

Last time I checked all modern Qualcomm basebands are rev b capable, sprint is still selling non LTE devices, and evdo has better coverage than LTE. I think they thought LTE was going to be the end all be all of mobile data but it hasn't been the panacea they had hoped for.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Last time I checked all modern Qualcomm basebands are rev b capable...

The installed base is not what you think. Almost no OEMs enable the necessary hardware and software for Rev B. It very rarely shows up in FCC OET authorizations.

AJ

• Like 1

Last time I checked all modern Qualcomm basebands are rev b capable, sprint is still selling non LTE devices, and evdo has better coverage than LTE. I think they thought LTE was going to be the end all be all of mobile data but it hasn't been the panacea they had hoped for.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

It will be once they have lte on 800/1900/2600. Not even big red is supporting evdo rev b

There would be little point in wasting the time, money and spectrum to support Rev B and aggregate data to increase 3G speeds to just be a fraction of the speed of LTE. By the time any implementation could be widespread to be useful, LTE will be as plain vanilla as Rev A is to us now. 

So DO Advanced is a part of Network Vision 1.0, (2.0?) right?

Or is this wishful thinking since EV-DO Rev. B, and EV-DV are now out of the question?

Is Verizon going to implement DO Advanced within their network?

Edited by EmeraldReporter

So DO Advanced is a part of Network Vision 1.0, (2.0?) right?

Or is this wishful thinking since EV-DO Rev. B, and EV-DV are now out of the question?

Is Verizon going to implement DO Advanced within their network?

Yes on the part of NV 1.0 since DO Advanced is part of installing NV gear.

No on Verizon adding DO Advanced to their 3g network.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

No on Verizon adding DO Advanced to their 3g network.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

So will this allow Sprint to "compress" the amount of spectrum they use for EV-DO carriers, from three to 2, or all the way down to 1?

Can you answer this?: What is the spectrum use ratio in efficiency between EV-DO Rev A, EVDO REV. A Adv., EVDO Rev. B, and LTE release 9?

Edited by EmeraldReporter

Sprint cannot add EVDO carriers for EVDO-B to run at full speed in the markets where they will be counting on the spectrum for LTE. They need that for an additional Band 25 LTE carrier.

Since Sprint has such a high LTE device adoption rate, they really need to be focusing on LTE performance above all.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

So will this allow Sprint to "compress" the amount of spectrum they use for EV-DO carriers, from three to 2, or all the way down to 1?

Can you answer this?: What is the spectrum use ratio in efficiency between EV-DO Rev A, EVDO REV. A Adv., EVDO Rev. B, and LTE release 9?

NO.  Sprint needs to keep all of their existing EVDO carriers in tact.   All DO-Advanced does is make EVDO more efficient in terms of load balancing, single multi link, etc.  There is no such thing as EVDO Rev A. Advanced.

Sprint cannot add EVDO carriers for EVDO-B to run at full speed in the markets where they will be counting on the spectrum for LTE. They need that for an additional Band 25 LTE carrier.

Since Sprint has such a high LTE device adoption rate, they really need to be focusing on LTE performance above all.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

I'm more than a  little miffed that Sprint sold at&t 10MHz of their PCS spectrum in my market back in 2009. We really could use another LTE carrier, it's been 6 months since LTE launched here and there are already spots where it is overloaded to the point of being useless.

I'm more than a little miffed that Sprint sold at&t 10MHz of their PCS spectrum in my market back in 2009. We really could use another LTE carrier, it's been 6 months since LTE launched here and there are already spots where it is overloaded to the point of being useless.

Same boat here, they sold 5x5 to AT&T a few years ago too. Another LTE carrier could be used all over town. LTE just doesn't work anymore in most places. In pains me to say it but the network feels like it did before NV started.

• Like 1

Our only hope of salvation is a good dense band 41 deployment. Even though my market is in the top 50 we never got WIMAX and I have a feeling I won't be seeing any band 41 LTE until 2015 and still probably just on our four protection sites. I'm betting it will be 2016 before there is a real deployment.

I'm more than a  little miffed that Sprint sold at&t 10MHz of their PCS spectrum in my market back in 2009. We really could use another LTE carrier, it's been 6 months since LTE launched here and there are already spots where it is overloaded to the point of being useless.

How do you define useless? what sort of speed are you seeing? because even with LTE as long as its faster than 2Mbps down i would take it anyways because thats still enough to stream music and video. 

What is the 3G speed like?