Network Vision/LTE - Cleveland/NE Ohio Market

Ianmac23

This the tower behind Lowe's. Didn't get any pics of the base station.

This doesn't look like it's upgraded. I don't see any RRUs behind the antennas. According to http://network.Sprint.com/ three of your closest towers have had "data speed upgrades" and "data capacity upgrades". I'm guessing that these where just pre-Network Vision upgrades to reduce network saturation until Network Vision comes through.

The base station cabinet is usually a better tell because they look so distinctly like Samsung Network Vision cabinets.

Those are without a doubt legacy panels. NV panels are very distinctive being much thicker than the legacy and have the RRUs mounted behind or close by the panels.

I figured as much. That was his closest tower but he could very well be connected to another tower in the area. It's just a bunch of driving around to do just to find one tower. It could only be one of three through.

• 1 month later...

So, my network speed has been so ridiculously slow for the past month or so that I've barely been able to use it. Pandora on 3G skips pretty regularly (which it never did before), and during the day, I'm lucky to break .3 Mbps while OUTSIDE.

I'm more than a little ticked off, and am wondering what happened. My 3G connection was rock solid all last year and the year before, but not it's almost unusable.

I'm going to call into customer care today and let them know that we're suffering from bad connection in the Cleveland area. It probably won't get me anywhere, but I'm going to try to get some answers about NV rollout. If this doesn't ease up soon, I'm going to try to get out of my contract. Unlimited data doesn't do me ANY good if I can't download anything.

I'll post back here if I find anything out. In the meantime, anyone have any idea what's going? Or, are you having a similar experience?

So, my network speed has been so ridiculously slow for the past month or so that I've barely been able to use it. Pandora on 3G skips pretty regularly (which it never did before), and during the day, I'm lucky to break .3 Mbps while OUTSIDE.

I'm more than a little ticked off, and am wondering what happened. My 3G connection was rock solid all last year and the year before, but not it's almost unusable.

I'm going to call into customer care today and let them know that we're suffering from bad connection in the Cleveland area. It probably won't get me anywhere, but I'm going to try to get some answers about NV rollout. If this doesn't ease up soon, I'm going to try to get out of my contract. Unlimited data doesn't do me ANY good if I can't download anything.

I'll post back here if I find anything out. In the meantime, anyone have any idea what's going? Or, are you having a similar experience?

From North Ridgeville, Ohio

T6RZO12.png

Just ran a speed test:

Ping: 252

Download: 222 kbps

Upload: 28 kbps

It took me around 2 hours to download a 29.98 MB file from the Play store. And this is MUCH faster than I've been getting from where I sit at work for the past month or so. I'm a sad panda.

This is from Garfield Heights, OH (by the 480/77 split)

Edited by QMaverick

Just did a speed test myself.

Ping: 188

Download: 654kbps

Upload: 25 kpbs

This is my personal phone, but my company also uses Sprint. We've been having an issue for the last week or so where none of us can receive incoming calls while we're here (inside or outside). I also can't receive texts while I'm here connected to whatever tower we're on. When I'm on my way home, texts and missed calls start coming through.

My work is right off 90 on the east side of cleveland by 152nd. St.

Network Vision will be starting in a larger scale around the beginning of Sprint. There may be some up front work associated with backhaul and switch work.

Since the legacy vendor in Cleveland is Motorola, you guys will likely know when NV starts in your market.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

I may not read the forums enough, but why will we "know" when work starts? Is Motorola supposed to be really bad?

Just try to stand very still when you're on a call. Also, don't drive and talk on the phone. Your phone will probably end up being tossed out of the window. Basically. You'll drop every call everywhere for a good 6 mo to a year, possibly. Hopefully Samsung changes their tower upgrade strategy so they can minimalize these issues.

It's pretty bad when auto correct is turning common words into Sprint.

Yeah. Sprint is in all my custom dictionaries capitalized and it gets typed more often than any other word. Go figure. :lol:

Handoffs from Samsung NV equipment to legacy Motorola causes dropped calls.

They're not really hand offs at that point :P. I'm thinking the issue could be due to bad timing. Older GPS equipment on the Motorola base stations might be a bit off in comparison to the newer Samsung base stations, I might be pulling this out of my ass though.

The Motorola/Samsung seam issue only happens when handing off to the same exact channel. If it hands off to a different channel, then you don't get dropped.

Yeah. Sprint is in all my custom dictionaries capitalized and it gets typed more often than any other word. Go figure. :lol:

Same here, I have to pay close attention to everything I type/send on my mobile device. People probably think I live and breathe Sprint by now. But I'm sure you have the same issue :P.

• Like 1

:rofl:

Ummm, yeah. Dang auto correct.

Hahaha...but does that back-haul switch work account for the abysmal speeds I'm getting right now? I mean, I was all set to wait for LTE (as long as it didn't take too long), but I've gotta have usable 3G at the very least.

Also, thank you for the info--the knowledge accumulated on this forum never ceases to amaze me. :-)

Hahaha...but does that back-haul switch work account for the abysmal speeds I'm getting right now? I mean, I was all set to wait for LTE (as long as it didn't take too long), but I've gotta have usable 3G at the very least.

Also, thank you for the info--the knowledge accumulated on this forum never ceases to amaze me. :-)

I have no idea what the issue is in your specific instance. If it has lasted more than 24 hours, call Sprint and open up a ticket. Make sure you get the ticket number. If they don't open a ticket, then no one is going to go check on it.

I have no idea what the issue is in your specific instance. If it has lasted more than 24 hours, call Sprint and open up a ticket. Make sure you get the ticket number. If they don't open a ticket, then no one is going to go check on it.

Thanks for the suggestion Robert. I'll be calling them just as soon as I get off work. :-)

• Like 2

I am still getting pretty good speeds where I am. Didn't think much of it at the time, but early in December I saw an Ericsson truck pulling out of that lowes site on my way home from work. I didn't know Ericsson was involved in the samsung markets until I read it in another sub-forum. Not sure what they where doing there

post-8774-0-67268500-1359427654_thumb.png

I am still getting pretty good speeds where I am. Didn't think much of it at the time, but early in December I saw an Ericsson truck pulling out of that lowes site on my way home from work. I didn't know Ericsson was involved in the samsung markets until I read it in another sub-forum. Not sure what they where doing there

Ericsson has a nationwide contract with Sprint to maintain their network. They work in all 97 markets. Most Ericsson employees maintaining the Sprint network are former Sprint employees.

Ericsson also provides site inspection for Sprint. In Samsung and Alcatel Lucent markets, Ericsson goes and inspects Network Vision sites for Sprint for acceptance.

Ericsson has a nationwide contract with Sprint to maintain their network. They work in all 97 markets. Most Ericsson employees maintaining the Sprint network are former Sprint employees.

Ericsson also provides site inspection for Sprint. In Samsung and Alcatel Lucent markets, Ericsson goes and inspects Network Vision sites for Sprint for acceptance.

That's awesome info. I know of an Ericsson employee that comes to the gas station I work at all the time, he also lives in the city. I'll see what I can find out. :)

• Like 1