aerxx

I have a unique problem. Sprint is going to replace my phone because the screen went out. Touch screen still works, just the back-light or whatever won't illuminate the screen, but I have a custom ROM on the phone with a custom recovery.

I need to reset my phone because of my personal information mainly, but I'm also concerned that they are going to charge me a ton of money if they find out my phone was running a custom ROM.

1. I'm going to reset my ROM and firmware via KIES, seems to be the easiest way since the screen won't turn on.

2. does KIES reset the binary counter or will it just add another download on to the counter?

Either way I have to do this, I'm just looking for a few answers. Ideally my hope is they just scrap the phone and use it for parts, but I don't think that's going to be the case.

I have never had an issue turning in a phone that was rooted. Most of the time the guys at the store are pretty stoked to see what I had on it. Flashing via Kies will not reset the counter. The only way to do that (that I am aware of) is to use Triangle Away by Chainfire.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yeah, its definitely a hardware issue, thank you for the information. I'm just freaking out trying to factory reset this phone before I send it back since my screen won't turn on... :(

Well, they're mailing me a phone, and I'm sending mine back to them. Its not a "service while you wait" place, which is why I think they won't take the time, and just throw it into a "parts" pile, but I dunno.

Sprint's official policy is to cover rooted devices. Custom software however is not covered.

In all honesty, as long as you're nice and it's obviously a hardware issue the tech probably will cover it. If you are doing Advanced Exchange through the mail, then as long as you send the phone back and it isn't physically or liquid damaged it will be covered, regardless of the software (most likely).

• Like 2

I have never seen a device charged back, either to a store or customer, for being rooted or running custom firmware. I actually like to meet the rare customer who comes in with custom firmware or a rooted device, as they're fun to talk to - they tend to know more about what's actually going on.

• Like 2

I've never seen it either, however Sprint is within their right to deny service or charge back for an out-of-scope repair/replacement.

I'm just informing about the official policy. The real world does not necessarily follow policy 100%.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback guys. I figured as much, but my mind seems to run wild with worst case scenarios when I don't have answers to questions. :D

On another note, I was able to use KIES to factory reset my phone while not having a working screen, just had to get it into download mode.