WiMax Protection Site Operation Confirmation

S4GRU

Any idea when this will come to Little Rock, Arkansas?

This thread is about WiMax Protection Sites. There are already 6 active WiMax Protection Sites in the Little Rock metro area. See the map below.

However, Sprint will not be getting to Little Rock with 4G LTE deployment for awhile still. Some time in 2013.

Robert

gallery_1_1_170459.jpg

@Robert, thanks for the info but that really sucks. Sprint promised 4G, or better 3G, this year and it never happened. Sprint shot its wad with the iPhone and kicked the small markets to the curb. I feel Sprint CEO's are the ones hurting them not their customer service persons. On Little Rock AFB, the kiosk vendors do not even carry Sprint products. I feel Sprint really needs to do better in all of its markets.

@Robert, thanks for the info but that really sucks. Sprint promised 4G, or better 3G, this year and it never happened. Sprint shot its wad with the iPhone and kicked the small markets to the curb. I feel Sprint CEO's are the ones hurting them not their customer service persons. On Little Rock AFB, the kiosk vendors do not even carry Sprint products. I feel Sprint really needs to do better in all of its markets.

I think you'll notice by looking around this site that sprint is aggressively improving 3G and rolling out 4G. That is what we are focused on here.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

@Robert' date=' thanks for the info but that really sucks. Sprint promised 4G, or better 3G, this year and it never happened. Sprint shot its wad with the iPhone and kicked the small markets to the curb. I feel Sprint CEO's are the ones hurting them not their customer service persons. On Little Rock AFB, the kiosk vendors do not even carry Sprint products. I feel Sprint really needs to do better in all of its markets.[/quote']

It is frustrating. And Sprint's Network Vision is going to improve every market and every site in the country. It is also bringing LTE over its entire coverage area. It's under way now and will be completed in less than 2 years.

However, Sprint nor its executives ever gave dates for Little Rock. The places where Sprint actually announced do indeed have service.

Store personnel would often take guesses of when it seemed plausible that their area would get 4G WiMax service. Because it makes it difficult to sell a 4G phone without network dates, so many just made them up for the sale. I was told Albuquerque would have it before the end of 2010 by a sales person, even though Sprint never had plans to. These were the people propagating that WiMax was coming soon.

Sprint was very concerned about Clearwire's cash position by Mid 2010 and knew there was going to be deployment problems. That is why they explicitly did not announce cities, not knowing what Clearwire was going to be able to pull off.

In some ways, Sprint is a victim in all this. And Sprint learned many lessons that they are not repeating this time with NV/LTE. This time they are deploying 4G LTE themselves on their own spectrum and are already on their way. With WiMax, they never planned to go network wide. But with LTE deployment, they are planning to go across the whole network.

Robert

Robert via NOVO7PALADIN Tablet using Forum Runner

• Like 2

The following cities in Kentucky have some WiMax protections sites that are working that I can confirm:

Bowling Green, Glasgow, Franklin and Owensboro and they have native Sprint coverage.

Mayfield, KY has a Wimax protection site but only iDEN coverage. It is a CDMA Sprint Roaming Alliance area.

• 2 weeks later...

Very strange but looks like the WiMax signal in foothills Yuma is not being broadcasted anymore. I haven't been able to connect for over a month.

Sent from my geriatric Evo

Kansas > Salina. Confirmed at Sensorly. Do you have any performance data?

**i got a solid 4-6mbps download while driving 70-75mph through salina on i-135 on my way home**

:)

• Like 1

I'm late to the party, but Alabama > Auburn is confirmed! Service extends through downtown area up to Dean Road. Speeds ~4-6mbit down, 2-3mbit up. Nice little bonus. Has been around for about a year, I believe.

• Like 3

I'm late to the party, but Alabama > Auburn is confirmed! Service extends through downtown area up to Dean Road. Speeds ~4-6mbit down, 2-3mbit up. Nice little bonus. Has been around for about a year, I believe.

Konane, you're a badass. I'm glad you found s4gru.

I'm still sad you stopped devving for the epic with the SyndicateRom.

I'm still sad you stopped devving for the epic with the SyndicateRom.

All good things must come to an end. Progress...right?

Robert

Roaming 3g on Verizon when I took the screen shot but was on sprint prior to screenshot, had to use Verizon to upload to photo bucket after I moved out of 4g area

Sent from my Evo 4g using Forum Runner

• 2 weeks later...

Robert,

Can you tell me which tower IDs coorispond to the Lansing, MI protection sites?

• Michigan > Lansing > Central Tower. Confirmed by Sensorly. Do you have any performance data?
  • Michigan > Lansing > SE/MSU Tower. Confirmed by Sensorly. Do you have any performance data
  • Michigan > Lansing > South/Holt Tower. Confirmed by Sensorly. Do you have any performance data?

I've been trying to figure this out, but haven't had too much luck.

Robert' date='

Can you tell me which tower IDs coorispond to the Lansing, MI protection sites?

[*']Michigan > Lansing > Central Tower. Confirmed by Sensorly. Do you have any performance data?

[*]Michigan > Lansing > SE/MSU Tower. Confirmed by Sensorly. Do you have any performance data

[*]Michigan > Lansing > South/Holt Tower. Confirmed by Sensorly. Do you have any performance data?

I've been trying to figure this out, but haven't had too much luck.

The Data I have is not an easy to read format. I am in the process of creating some WiMax Protection site maps like we have for NV. But this is a mid term goal. Probably wont start on it until June.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Here is some data for Athens, Tn, this is right off the interstate, when you get into town the signal drops off.

6891.8 Kbit/s DL

2339.2 Kbit/s UL

Edited by NanoVirus
  • Like 1

Greetings,

For a long time, the http://www.clear.com/coverage map has shown 4g service in Fresno.

The sensorly app has confirmed it works....

Or at least used to. I was at various locations in the area shown to have 4G and not once did I connect. Was at a bar on Van Ness south of Fresno City College for a bit, and it never connected. Then drove to Shields/Blackstone and nothing as well. Coverage is also shown downtown by the amtrak station, I was there last week and nothing either.

I have a feeling the towers have been turned off.

• 3 weeks later...

Curiously no Missouri towns in your list. Joplin, MO has what I believe is a protection site, but it's been a long time since I've tested it. I'm pretty sure I did test it after the tornado though. I don't have any speed reports.

Curiously no Missouri towns in your list. Joplin, MO has what I believe is a protection site, but it's been a long time since I've tested it. I'm pretty sure I did test it after the tornado though. I don't have any speed reports.

Yes, in the OP it says this list is a "Work in Progress." And work had not progressed much since LTE started coming out. I've been swamped! There are many Protection Sites live in Mizzeruh. :)

Robert

• Like 1

I know a few around me. Carbondale, IL has a protection site. I know some Sprint customers there that have connected with the site in question (which is a real small pocket of downtown Carbondale).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Robert, fantastic site. Flooded with great information.

Quick question. My son has a Samsung Galaxy Epic S2, I realize it's only compatible for 4G WiMAX. My area (zip code 23456, Virginia Beach), currently has very spotty 4G WiMAX coverage, the closest main location for a strong 4G signal is in Richmond. Is Clear going to be upgrading their current WiMAX coverage, or are we S.O.L. in our area ??

Thanks in advance....

Edited by ferr3816