IOS7 Announcement at WWDC

nobius

Some pretty nice changes to iOS.  

• Airdrop looks pretty useful for sharing photos with nearby friends.  
  • I like the improved integration between Maps and Calendar and being able to add travel time quickly to an event.
  • The app drawer from dragging from the bottom.  About freaking time!  I missed being able to quickly turn on/off wifi/bt from my Android days.
  • iTunes Radio looks like a Pandora/Spotify killer.  Plus there are zero ads if you are a iTunes Match subscriber.

Looking forward to the Fall.  Glad it supports  iPhone 4 and up and iPad 2 and up.

• Like 2

Updating to iOS 7 right now!! Oh the perks of being a registered Apple developer!!

• Like 1

The copiers at Google/Samsung are working overtime :).

Huh? Who's copying who now?

Control Center: Copy of Android's quicksettings

Notification Center: looking rather Jelly-bean like with the expanded notifications

Multitasking: MUCH more Android-like with full-screen previews

iTunes Radio: right on the heels of Google Play Music All Access...

Airdrop: Galaxy S3's Allshare

It definitely looks like a nice update, with a very sleek interface - but I don't think Android is going to be copying much from it. Frankly, I figured we could leave the OS fights out of this, but...

• Like 14

Huh? Who's copying who now?

Control Center: Copy of Android's quicksettings

Notification Center: looking rather Jelly-bean like with the expanded notifications

Multitasking: MUCH more Android-like with full-screen previews

iTunes Radio: right on the heels of Google Play Music All Access...

Airdrop: Galaxy S3's Allshare

It definitely looks like a nice update, with a very sleek interface - but I don't think Android is going to be copying much from it. Frankly, I figured we could leave the OS fights out of this, but...

Definitely agreed, not to mention the live Weather is a copy of HTC's weather interface and the apps opening from where you tap is also a straight port from Android JB. Apple hasn't fooled anyone with this one.

• Like 3

Updating to iOS 7 right now!! Oh the perks of being a registered Apple developer!!

Lucky you! I miss my days I could afford to be a developer.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

The copiers of Google/Samsung worked overtime :).

Fixed it for you. This kinda seems like a stop gap to prevent more defectors. Nothing too new here.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 2

Let's not forget that Android has taken a lot from the iPhone as well. It goes both ways.

Definitely agreed, not to mention the live Weather is a copy of HTC's weather interface and the apps opening from where you tap is also a straight port from Android JB. Apple hasn't fooled anyone with this one.

Not really, it's virtually the same Yahoo weather app that's in the App Store, but with some minor differences. Not a surprise considering the iPhone's weather app has always been powered by Yahoo.

Let's not forget that Android has taken a lot from the iPhone as well. It goes both ways.

I'm not too mad at the copying. Its bound to happen. I'll be more mad at the macheads that think this is groundbreaking or new. New for you I guess. And I was hoping for something really new that would keep android on its toes and make them rethink some things. Google is sitting there like "that's it? Cool"

• Like 3

You can actually get your UDID register through me for $5. There is a post in General with more details.

• Like 2

You can actually get your UDID register through me for $5. There is a post in General with more details.

I'll think about it. I may be getting back into it for free in January if my school is set up with Apple. I don't want to give up my jailbreak very easily.

Edit: Schools don't get access to anything except the current released SDK. I think I'll get my own account the first of next year.

The real question is can it map on sensorly yet? :)

We will find out from Sensorly soon enough. With over 1500 new API's, there's hopefully one for Sensorly to have access to what we iPhone users want.

• Like 1

The real question is can it map on sensorly yet? :)

Really hope the Sensorly folks had someone there at WWDC to talk to Apple about it.

I wouldn't be too shocked if the Sensorly API's opened up in due time. Apple has less interest in protecting the carriers than some on here tend to think.

• Like 1

Not really, it's virtually the same Yahoo weather app that's in the App Store, but with some minor differences. Not a surprise considering the iPhone's weather app has always been powered by Yahoo.

everyone copies off of everyone. Apple is the only one thats thinks that they don't copy.

• Like 1

There are new APIs in core telephony that support reading the radio type, signal strength, and cell ID directly so no more hacks.

Also looks like they integrated cross-app audio directly so digital instrument apps can pipe audio to a mixing app.

The multitasking enhancements are smart... You have to register for what you want (periodic background time to download updates vs wake the app up when a push notification is received), but the OS waits for good signal strength or when the user wakes the device to do something else, then it takes advantage of the really strong signal or the user waking the device to also do the background updates. The OS also learns which apps you use frequently and gives them priority, so an app you haven't used in six months won't ever have its background updates scheduled (presumably).

Plenty more but NDA so I can't comment. I actually sell apps on the App Store so I'd like to keep my developer account in good standing.

P.S. Apple has now paid out 3X as much money to developers as all others (Google, MS, etc) combined. They also said over 90% of all iOS devices are running iOS 6, compared to the laughable situation on Android.

• Like 5

There are new APIs in core telephony that support reading the radio type, signal strength, and cell ID directly so no more hacks.

Also looks like they integrated cross-app audio directly so digital instrument apps can pipe audio to a mixing app.

The multitasking enhancements are smart... You have to register for what you want (periodic background time to download updates vs wake the app up when a push notification is received), but the OS waits for good signal strength or when the user wakes the device to do something else, then it takes advantage of the really strong signal or the user waking the device to also do the background updates. The OS also learns which apps you use frequently and gives them priority, so an app you haven't used in six months won't ever have its background updates scheduled (presumably).

Plenty more but NDA so I can't comment. I actually sell apps on the App Store so I'd like to keep my developer account in good standing.

P.S. Apple has now paid out 3X as much money to developers as all others (Google, MS, etc) combined. They also said over 90% of all iOS devices are running iOS 6, compared to the laughable situation on Android.

Google is closing that gap though. They are taking back Android by moving the core apps to the Play Store and opting for only announcing major updates. This lowers fragmentation in the OS and that is why we see the percentage of phones running JB go up and the number of phones on GB go down.

Was reading afar until I saw this comment...  anyone who continues to bring up the fragmentation comment today is an absolute idiot as they have no idea what they are talking about.  They should pull their heads out of the sand/apple sauce as this hasn't been the case for a long time.

I believe the laughable situation is the druthers that Iphone brings with their closed loop Nazi like attitude of an app store.  Too late too little, most of smartened up and left due to many reasons like 2 yr old tech and features being groundbreaking.   

• Like 2

what do you guys think about the facetime voice only call option?

not that it may be disruptive for the carriers but some frugal parents may hold on off on getting lil johnny on their plan when they can do it this way.

Was reading afar until I saw this comment...  anyone who continues to bring up the fragmentation comment today is an absolute idiot as they have no idea what they are talking about.  They should pull their heads out of the sand/apple sauce as this hasn't been the case for a long time.

I believe the laughable situation is the druthers that Iphone brings with their closed loop Nazi like attitude of an app store.  Too late too little, most of smartened up and left due to many reasons like 2 yr old tech and features being groundbreaking.   

This.  And then some.

Apple makes a living off forcing you to upgrade.  Android has such a fragmentation because really, unless you are a power user, the reason to upgrade is minimal.  Android doesnt pull half the crap iOS does with what device can do what.  Look at Siri, the other "groundbreaking" feature that has been a complete bust.  You couldnt use it on the ipad 1 or 2.  Why?  Because Apple said so.  But oh hey, great news!!! New ipad coming out same day as Siri that can!! Lucky you!!  Only 500 bucks and its yours!!  Dont pay any attention to the fact that the hardware is identical, or, could of been in the ipad you are replacing!!

Then the app store.  Dont even get me started.

Apple has stopped innovating and has started chasing.  Its not hard to figure that out, when you look at iOS7, it exemplifies it.  iOS7 is Android Jellybean with a 2005 Palm Treo color scheme.  Nuff said.

• Like 3