Network Vision/LTE - Rochester Market (Rochester, New York)

S4GRU

One site near my home is shown as 3G complete. The site is in the middle of the north east quadrant of the Rochester market.  The site does not have the new antennas. Does that mean it is a GMO? If so, then "All of the sites in the Rochester market will be completely overhauled" does not sound like an accurate statement. 

(EDIT: I just read the GMO article.  Does being GMO and 3G complete mean that there will be a second round of work on the site at some point to install the new antennas?)

Sprint made it sound like we were to expect better coverage in weak signal areas. At least in reference to the tower in question, the coverage is no better and may, in fact, be slightly worse.  On this tower and on the one directly to the west, I have been getting dropped calls for the last few days when I had never ever had dropped calls on them before.

I was really hoping for more than what I'm seeing so far.

It does sound like the site you're referring to is a GMO site. My statement of all the sites in the Rochester market are getting overhauled was not explained clearly, and that is my error.

When I say they are all being overhauled, it means they all ate getting upgrades. Even the GMO sites are being completely upgraded except for the antennas, everything else is being replaced. And also, GMO sites will be converted to full build sites, they just will be the very last sites to do so. So, yes, all the sites in the Rochester market are being overhauled and receiving Network Vision improvements.

As for better signals, there will be no improvement at GMO sites. Full build sites will get slightly better signals through new RRU's installed up next to the antennas, and majorly better through 800MHz CDMA and eventually LTE deployments. GMO sites will not have better signals until they receive their full build upgrades in the future.

Dropped calls are unfortunately going to become more common during Network Vision, especially on Samsung equipment. If you cross a seam between new Samsung NV equipment and legacy equipment, your chances of being dropped increase. If you are near a seam, you can be dropped without moving. Additionally, drops can occur even when solidly on a new NV site. Over time, they will make the adjustments that will make the network even better than it was before. And as more sites get converted, the better the experience will become.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thank you Robert for the more detailed explanation.  I appreciate the service you provide on this site.

I hope it is not a long wait for the dropped calls issue to be resolved.  Quite frankly, that could force a carrier change for me if it will be an ongoing issue. I would prefer not leave but I need the phone to be reliable.

Should I be reporting the new dropped calls issue to Sprint?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone... first time poster here... and happy to see that Sprint is finally working on LTE here in Rochester. I was worried that, because we had WiMax, we'd fall to the bottom of the priority list because Sprint could pad their 4G numbers with us. 

Anyhow... can anyone fathom a guess on how long it normally takes to "convert" a city the size of Rochester? Just wondering if I'll start seeing towers come online in the next month? 3 months? 6 months?

Any guidance is appreciated. THanks everyone!

Anyhow... can anyone fathom a guess on how long it normally takes to "convert" a city the size of Rochester? Just wondering if I'll start seeing towers come online in the next month? 3 months? 6 months?

According to the deployment list Rochester is expected to be complete by December 2013. I believe this means 100% complete as in all full build sites finished along with 100% LTE support for those sites

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Exciting! I see a few sites have been upgraded over towards the Victor area, getting closer to me. I was just over in Eastview yesterday getting my hair cut and didn't spot anything on the way, but not sure I was near those towers anyways.

Anyone have any new speculation on when we will see some LTE light up instead of just 3G upgrades?

Anyways, I'm not going to get greedy, any progress is good progress at this point.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Down in Hershey, PA right now. Full 4G. It is AWESOME! It looks like it will be well worth the wait when we finally get it.

I am so jealous... Waiting at the Rochester train station now trying to stream YouTube.... Lol.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

My Internet is out so my airave is down. 0 bars and signal pro shows I'm connected to another airave down the street.

800 mhz 3g is really needed to make sprint usable in Webster and penfield.... Kind of lamenting that I signed up for another two years when I bought this s4. Maybe I can roam my way out of contract.

I just got a text from Sprint saying they were starting work in the Fairport area. Here's coming we will have an upgraded tower there in the next few weeks

Really?  Sprint sends texts like that?  That's pretty cool.  =)

I haven't seen any site approvals come through for Rochester in the past week or so.  =(  Hopefully this means we'll see updates faster!

I'm just posting the news here, first LTE site accepted in the Rochester market! It is in Dansville, time to get excited everyone! :-D

Accroding to ryman the site is in Dansville. Still have some time to wait until Rochester proper or its suburbs get LTE.

Side note: anyone notice all the Patriot Towers help wanted commercials on the radio lately? I'm wondering if the Rochester crew is understaffed and that's why we haven't seen any 3G updates in a while

Another new Rochester market LTE site was accepted. Its location is posted in the Sponsors Rochester thread.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Posted Image

I am pretty sure that some work is being done around me, I am in the Honeoye Falls area south of the city, and today I scored my first ever speedtest ping under 100ms on 3g. Typically, I would get in the 110-140 range. The speed still isn't very stellar, but I remember reading that one of the telltale signs of NV equipment is sub-100ms pings, so I'm pretty excited.

Another new Rochester market LTE site was accepted. Its location is posted in the Sponsors Rochester thread.Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

And also, this is pretty awesome! I'm stoked to see some progress here, I hope we get some real momentum going with LTE acceptances soon.