•  

Photo

How to Spot Sprint Antennas and RRUs (Alcatel-Lucent)

alcatel-lucent alu alucent network vision sprint LTE 4g 3g ehrpd

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 deep

deep

Member Level: 1xRTT

• S4GRU Member
  • Pip
  • 77 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Galaxy S4
  • LocationOrange County

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:24 PM

I have a question about a tower that's closest to my house.  You know how the tower is not circular but triangular shape with the panels on three sides of the triangle?  Now, my the sides of the triangles (panels) are not facing my house directly, instead, the vertex of the triangle is pointing at my house instead.  Does that effect my signal since the panels are not facing my house directly and that I get the vertex of the triangle?

#22 Deval

Deval

Member Level: LTE Advanced

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,014 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Various Samsung devices
  • LocationQueens, NY

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:19 AM

I have a question about a tower that's closest to my house.  You know how the tower is not circular but triangular shape with the panels on three sides of the triangle?  Now, my the sides of the triangles (panels) are not facing my house directly, instead, the vertex of the triangle is pointing at my house instead.  Does that effect my signal since the panels are not facing my house directly and that I get the vertex of the triangle?

You should be fine, they are pretty wide-angled inside. 

My replies and comments contain my opinion on the matters which have been posted, and do not represent the rules, policies, strategies, opinions, and regulations of my employer and should not be taken as such.

Current Phones
Various Samsung devices - can't say no to free!

#23 ahecht

ahecht

Member Level: 1x Advanced

• S4GRU Member
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Phones/Devices:HTC One M8
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:13 PM

My local tower  has had LTE for a while now, but I've had trouble connecting for a few weeks so I took a trek down to the tower. The top panels with all the RUUs are typical ALU NV panels that have been there for a while, but the three smaller panels below them are definitely new. Any idea what they are?
uploadfromtaptalk1375215205606.jpg
(Sorry for the crappy picture, I will have to get down there with a real camera soon.)

I've got to admit it's getting better, a little better all the time...

#24 caspar347

caspar347

Member Level: 4G WiMax

• Honored Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Ice Blue Nexus 5X 32GB
  • LocationNC - Charlotte Market (Yay no more purple :D)

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:10 PM

What on earth are these RFS things labeled as 800 RRHs? There are new 1900 RRHs behind them.

LZhQx4q.jpg

This is a full-build ground mounted flagpole site in the Charlotte market and I can provide more pics if needed.

Charlotte Sponsor Thread: http://s4gru.com/ind...discussion-etc/
Charlotte Premier Sponsor Thread/Map: http://s4gru.com/ind...te-premier-map/

#25 digiblur

digiblur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,987 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Nexus5
  • LocationNOLA Market

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:25 PM

What on earth are these RFS things labeled as 800 RRHs? There are new 1900 RRHs behind them.

This is a full-build ground mounted flagpole site in the Charlotte market and I can provide more pics if needed.

Dual path diplexers used to cut down on the number of feeders up the pole.

#26 caspar347

caspar347

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:43 AM

Dual path diplexers used to cut down on the number of feeders up the pole.

So are the 800 RRUs just not delivered yet?

#27 digiblur

digiblur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,987 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Nexus5
  • LocationNOLA Market

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:52 AM

So are the 800 RRUs just not delivered yet?

They looked hooked up and if they have 800mhz labels on them then you probably have 800mhz RRUs somewhere.

#28 deep

deep

• S4GRU Member
  • Pip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationOrange County

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:53 PM

I went out for some field work today and took some pictures.  Can you tell me what are on each of these towers? LTE?

20130930_172142_zps67d57ecb.jpg

20130930_171130_zps29aec86b.jpg

20130930_170353_zps36956da3.jpg

#29 JohnnyAwesome

JohnnyAwesome

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Phones/Devices:LG Optimus G,Sprint iPad Mini, Freedom Spot Photon, Kyocera Duracore for DC
  • LocationPhiladelphia and NY

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:12 PM

This site looks to be potentially a comounted Sprint Clearwire Site which I have seen on rooftop installs but not as a monopole. it could be that the Clearwire gear is connected via Microwave with other sites. 

I went out for some field work today and took some pictures.  Can you tell me what are on each of these towers? LTE?

20130930_170353_zps36956da3.jpg

#30 deep

deep

• S4GRU Member
  • Pip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationOrange County

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:04 PM

Yes, that site is a comounted sprint clearwire site.

#31 caspar347

caspar347

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:33 AM

Out of curiosity, anyone know which carrier is using the old Panasonic RRUs in PA? They only use one per sector with a tall Powerwave antenna and 3 other small antennas without RRUs.

#32 The_Chemist

The_Chemist

Member Level: eHRPD

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Droid Bionic, LG G2, LG G3, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy Mega, Samsung Galaxy Note 4
  • LocationSwatara Township Pennsylvania

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:58 AM

I have a few questions about ——-----------, that I'm hoping someone with expertise here can answer.

This site was formerly owned by AT&T, located behind the Harrisburg PA UPS Hub in Steelton/Swatara Township. It is currently owned by Crown Castle and is used by AT&T and Sprint. I live on the South side of this tower by about 0.5 nautical miles. I work on the North side of this tower by about 0.25 nautical miles. This site is NV accepted and operating. Recently within the last 3 weeks or so, I noticed my signal at home is abysmal. I called Sprint to inquire. The first call I made, I was told there was no problem. After another week, I called again. Someone with a little more knowledge of how to use their diagnostic tools was able to dig deeper and found that one of the south facing arrays was down for a data speed upgrade. This explains why I am having trouble receiving both 3G and LTE from this site at home.

Some of the GCI's I have received from this site are: 0FE05101, 0FE05102, 0FE05103, 0FE0510A, 0FE0510B all on Band 25. This site is not currently transmitting on Band 26. Are the A and B suffixes second carriers?

My most pressing question is: by the pictures I have posted here, can someone please tell me which equipment belongs to Sprint and which equipment belongs to AT&T?

I'm trying to educate myself on just what exactly I am looking at when I see this tower. I'm trying to gain knowledge. I would be most appreciative for any and all information, S4GRU members are willing to share. My thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• SH00PA928_1.jpg

#33 S4GRU

S4GRU

S4GRU Administrator

• Administrator
  • 28,570 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Nexus 6P, Nexus 6, Nexus 5, OnePlus 2, Kyocera Brigadier
  • LocationAnywhere USA

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:45 AM

I have a few questions about ——-----------, that I'm hoping someone with expertise here can answer.

This site was formerly owned by AT&T, located behind the Harrisburg PA UPS Hub in Steelton/Swatara Township. It is currently owned by Crown Castle and is used by AT&T and Sprint. I live on the South side of this tower by about 0.5 nautical miles. I work on the North side of this tower by about 0.25 nautical miles. This site is NV accepted and operating. Recently within the last 3 weeks or so, I noticed my signal at home is abysmal. I called Sprint to inquire. The first call I made, I was told there was no problem. After another week, I called again. Someone with a little more knowledge of how to use their diagnostic tools was able to dig deeper and found that one of the south facing arrays was down for a data speed upgrade. This explains why I am having trouble receiving both 3G and LTE from this site at home.

Some of the GCI's I have received from this site are: 0FE05101, 0FE05102, 0FE05103, 0FE0510A, 0FE0510B all on Band 25. This site is not currently transmitting on Band 26. Are the A and B suffixes second carriers?

My most pressing question is: by the pictures I have posted here, can someone please tell me which equipment belongs to Sprint and which equipment belongs to AT&T?

I'm trying to educate myself on just what exactly I am looking at when I see this tower. I'm trying to gain knowledge. I would be most appreciative for any and all information, S4GRU members are willing to share. My thanks!

The last two digits of the GCI tell you the sector number for carrier you are connected to.  01, 02, 03 are different sectors of the Carrier with the ID of 0FE051.  Sectors 0A and 0B are different sectors, and connected to a different B25 carrier at the same site.

I am not able to identify any of the equipment with the resolution of your photo.  Too small for these middle aged eyes to see.

Robert

#34 The_Chemist

The_Chemist

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Droid Bionic, LG G2, LG G3, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy Mega, Samsung Galaxy Note 4
  • LocationSwatara Township Pennsylvania

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:57 PM

The last two digits of the GCI tell you the sector number for carrier you are connected to.  01, 02, 03 are different sectors of the Carrier with the ID of 0FE051.  Sectors 0A and 0B are different sectors, and connected to a different B25 carrier at the same site.

I am not able to identify any of the equipment with the resolution of your photo.  Too small for these middle aged eyes to see.

Robert

Robert, Thanks much for the explanation.  My photo is horrible after I compressed it to fit here.  It looks amazing in 13MP native format.  I'm going to have to try and upload a better image.

I did have some of the equipment on that tower explained to me in person, by a Shentel Field Engineer  who I have been working closely with over the last few days.  I must say I am AMAZED at how responsive and helpful Shentel is!!!!!!  They defintiely want their network to be number one!

I may have some good things to share with S4GRU shortly. 

#35 bucdenny

bucdenny

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Phones/Devices:iPhone 7 Plus Verizon, Samsung S7E Sprint
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:04 PM

I visited a site that has been in progress for nearly 2 years.  They finally installed the antennas today.  Why a 4 antenna sector?  Also, the antenna's looks different.

Imgur Album:  http://imgur.com/a/1zT6F#0

QL941eC.jpg

#36 lilotimz

lilotimz

S4GRU Moderator

• S4GRU Staff
  • 8,595 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Pixel 5", Nexus 7 (2013) & 9 (2014), GS8, GS7, iPad Air 2
  • LocationSacramento, CA, USA

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:12 PM

I visited a site that has been in progress for nearly 2 years. They finally installed the antennas today. Why a 4 antenna sector? Also, the antenna's looks different.

Imgur Album: http://imgur.com/a/1zT6F#0

QL941eC.jpg

A high capacity setup with a ton of narrow beamwidth antennas so each antenna covers a smaller area. So less people are on each cell and capacity is increased.

Sent from my Nexus 5

#37 S4GRU

S4GRU

S4GRU Administrator

• Administrator
  • 28,570 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Nexus 6P, Nexus 6, Nexus 5, OnePlus 2, Kyocera Brigadier
  • LocationAnywhere USA

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:29 PM

Four sector sites are becoming more common as capacity needs grow.

#38 markjcc

markjcc

• S4GRU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Phones/Devices:iPhone 6s
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:52 PM

690912f99f45c75a8d0c922118b9aafa.jpg

4b8296af7db4df8e19bdf77be79c7e97.jpg

8f9937930f6edf0649eb5bb316c60fec.jpg

Is sprint on the top? And whose on the bottom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
T-Mobile stands for T-ooSlow

#39 Camcroz

Camcroz

• S4GRU Member
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Galaxy S6
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 01 December 2015 - 07:02 PM

Is sprint on the top? And whose on the bottom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes Sprint is on top. Don't know who's on bottom

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

#40 markjcc

markjcc

• S4GRU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Phones/Devices:iPhone 6s
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 01 December 2015 - 07:54 PM

Yes Sprint is on top. Don't know who's on bottom

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

What type of panels are those? 8T8R?

T-Mobile stands for T-ooSlow

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alcatel-lucent, alu, alucent, network vision, sprint, LTE, 4g, 3g, ehrpd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users