Google Services slow over Sprint LTE

jefbal99

Same for CM10.1 on LTE (when working, grr RIL changes) no more cancel/restart to get downloads flowing.

If this is not resolved before launch, it could be ugly as more markets pop up.

Been an issue since LTE was lit up in Lowell, MI back in February, and possibly before.

Any update on the tickets you opened?

Same for CM10.1 on LTE (when working, grr RIL changes) no more cancel/restart to get downloads flowing.

If this is not resolved before launch, it could be ugly as more markets pop up.

Any update on the tickets you opened?

No idea, actually. No longer working at the Lowell location, and that ticket number was deleted off the computer there by my replacement. Once LTE is available where I am now (Lake Michigan Drive), I'll open a new one if this issue is still happening. 

• Like 1

For now, google services appear to be working normally.  I updated many google/android apps on my wife's Photon Q last night and have updated/installed apps today on my Note 2 on differing LTE towers (but going through the same core).

• 3 weeks later...

Stupid bug is still out there. I've been doing a lot of wiping and reinstalling recently due to a bug in CM that kills LTE. I can only think of once that I was able to reload my apps via LTE, every other time I've had to seek out WiFi.

I really wish this could get figured out...

I still haven't experienced this.  When I see Google services are slow over LTE then everything over LTE is slow no matter the server.  Maybe I've just been lucky.

I sat for ten minutes trying to download apps, as soon as I got a wifi connection, all the installs took off.  No issue searching for apps, just downloading...

I sat for ten minutes trying to download apps, as soon as I got a wifi connection, all the installs took off.  No issue searching for apps, just downloading...

have you tried > play store > menu > settings > auto-update apps > auto update at any time

I think by default it autoupdates only over wifi.

have you tried > play store > menu > settings > auto-update apps > auto update at any time

I think by default it autoupdates only over wifi.

Hell no..  newer isn't always better.  I prefer to look at the changes before updating.  Cough cough..slacker...google talk...  hanging on to those old version apk files!

I would test this for you on 27meg update of an app I have but for some odd reason I don't think we would have a good result at all:

NOGOODLTE.png

I had this same exact problem when I was on VZW with an HTC Thunderbolt. On LTE (with good signal and speed) anything Google related and bit.ly links would work at a snails pace. 

So interesting you mention bit.ly links. I've been experiencing this same issue with t.co links (Twitter forces all links through this domain for analytics). When on LTE I am unable to open any links from within the Twitter app. Nothing else is slow at all except for t.co - if I copy/paste the full address and open it in a browser, it's fine. 

I actually just had the same problem with Google Play on my Galaxy Note 2 on Sprint legacy 3G. Speed test is running around 2.2Mbps. However, this 4MB download from Google is already 30 minutes in and it's only 68%! Something is going on.

Robert

my phone does it (sprint) work phone too (Verizon). 

• 2 weeks later...

New observation... Due to issues with LTE and my cm maintainer being out of town, I reverted to an older nightly with different RIL blobs. My issues with Google Services have been greatly reduced. The maintainer has gone back to these older blobs and others are reporting much better LTE experience. I'm going to switch to that build soon and see how the Google apps act.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• 3 months later...

Yes, absolutely. The issue where Play Store downloads go slower than 1X speeds, Google Talk and Hangouts video fails to connect, and all other Google services often fail to work.

I personally noticed this issue immediately when Lowell, MI got LTE. It was a problem from the very beginning that LTE was turned on. I was in the store, watched a customer's Photon Q switch over to 4G, and then soon after tried to update apps. They did not work. Confused, I ran a Speed Test, and got 27 Mbps. After a bit, I determined that Google services were somehow being throttled or did not connect properly.

The reason it seemed like traffic shaping is that it definitely seemed to happen more during certain times of the day. Again, other web browsing was not affected.

If no other markets are affected, it could be an issue with the Kentwood 4G Core.

I had filed a CTMS ticket related to it, and last I checked it is still open and pending. Sadly, I've lost the ticket number. I'll file another soon, if this keeps up.

Yes, absolutely. The issue where Play Store downloads go slower than 1X speeds, Google Talk and Hangouts video fails to connect, and all other Google services often fail to work.

I personally noticed this issue immediately when Lowell, MI got LTE. It was a problem from the very beginning that LTE was turned on. I was in the store, watched a customer's Photon Q switch over to 4G, and then soon after tried to update apps. They did not work. Confused, I ran a Speed Test, and got 27 Mbps. After a bit, I determined that Google services were somehow being throttled or did not connect properly.

The reason it seemed like traffic shaping is that it definitely seemed to happen more during certain times of the day. Again, other web browsing was not affected.

If no other markets are affected, it could be an issue with the Kentwood 4G Core.

Have you heard any follow up with this? It's still the same in Kentwood, much worse now actually. I think you were right those months ago and its on it's way out altogether.

I had filed a CTMS ticket related to it, and last I checked it is still open and pending. Sadly, I've lost the ticket number. I'll file another soon, if this keeps up.

Sorry if I am double posting, my tablet died. Did you ever hear back about the ticket you made? Kentwood is still having this issue, and it might be getting worse. I think you were right months ago. I am curious to know what you have experienced since then. 

Best regards

Sorry if I am double posting, my tablet died. Did you ever hear back about the ticket you made? Kentwood is still having this issue, and it might be getting worse. I think you were right months ago. I am curious to know what you have experienced since then. 

Best regards

Hi there,

I never did hear back from this issue. When I said "kentwood" earlier, I was referring to the Kentwood 4G Core, which covers almost all of West Michigan, as I understand it. I had thought this issue fixed, as I have not personally experienced it in quite some time.

• 1 month later...

Been happening again to me, intermittently on my nexus 5 (happened previously also on htc one and note 2).

The behavior is so weird, while some update is stuck doing ~1-2kbs, I can do a speed test and get 5 to 10+ mbs.

Rebooting never fixed it for me, sometimes stop all/update all will do it, but otherwise I either had to switch to wifi if available or wait it out and 5-15 minutes later it will unclog itself.

I have also had similar problems with google music player.

I can be playing a stream fine with no interuption or other problems, but when I try to search for something it just sits there with a white search results screen. Eventually it maybe will populate.