Sprint and Nokia

Fraydog

Is anything ever going to come here?

It would be nice for something to come down the pipe but I'm not holding my breath since Sprint seemingly has no desire to push Windows Phone.

Ugh....Windows Phone....I will never go back to a Windows OS phone...LG Incite and LG Expo were 2 of the worst phones I ever had.

Those are pre WP7 and WP8 Windows Mobile phones. I don't know if you can compare those to the current, modern Windows Phone 8 OS.

I don't like the windows phone.. I prefer android any day, sorry :/. Maybe if android kept there OS simple and plain and made android closed source like apple does with iOS. I would definitely give it a shot

Just sayin, MS has never done good with mobile devices and I doubt WP8 will change that...

MS had mobile OS before apple or google.

WP8 isn't bad - it's the lack of apps that hurts the platform and the slow hardware upgrades.

MS had mobile OS before apple or google.

WP8 isn't bad - it's the lack of apps that hurts the platform and the slow hardware upgrades.

I've been spoiled by how pretty android looks now. I played with a WP8 Nokia the other day, and the interface looks extremely flat and one dimensional. I love the look of Android and Sense 5. I will admit though that WP8 is MUCH faster than any other operating system with the least amount of hiccups in performance (although my ONE has yet to lag or hiccup with anything).

In general it's a very functional OS, but not a very visually appealing one.

-Luis

Mary Jo Foley revealed on the Windows Weekly podcast that Sprint will get a Nokia model of some sort, she just didn't reveal which one.

• Like 1

Mary Jo Foley revealed on the Windows Weekly podcast that Sprint will get a Nokia model of some sort, she just didn't reveal which one.

I came across a leaked image of the upcoming Nokia model...

68tz84.jpg

AJ

• Like 8

• 2 months later...

Those are pre WP7 and WP8 Windows Mobile phones. I don't know if you can compare those to the current, modern Windows Phone 8 OS.

You can't. And I'm probably the only person on the planet who actually misses Windows Mobile 2003 and WinMo 6. A simpler time, when styluses were required...

I really don't understand Nokia's strategy.  If they want to sell phones, they have make them available on as many carriers as possible.  An exclusive deal with AT&T will not work.  It worked for Apple, because, at the time, the iPhone was seen as a revolution product.  Today, there's just too much competition to go exclusive and not even Apple does that anymore or has done that for years.  The iPhone is even available on prepaid carriers.  As to the OS wars, this isn't about whether WP8 is better than Android or iOS, there are people who like it and want it.  That said, I don't think we'll see a Nokia phone on Sprint.  Sprint doesn't even carry Sony Android phones.  I believe only AT&T and T-Mobile does. 

Edited by Makkari

I really don't understand Nokia's strategy.  If they want to sell phones, they have make them available on as many carriers as possible.  An exclusive deal with AT&T will not work.  It worked for Apple, because, at the time, the iPhone was seen as a revolution product.  Today, there's just too much competition to go exclusive and not even Apple does that anymore or has done that for years.  The iPhone is even available on prepaid carriers.  As to the OS wars, this isn't about whether WP8 is better than Android or iOS, there are people who like it and want it.  That said, I don't think we'll see a Nokia phone on Sprint.  Sprint doesn't even carry Sony Android phones.  I believe only AT&T and T-Mobile does. 

I'm guessing that Nokia believes that the trouble of adding CDMA is not worth the sales on just two carriers in the U.S.  It's probably a miscalculation on their part, but that's my guess.

Robert

I'm guessing that Nokia believes that the trouble of adding CDMA is not worth the sales on just two carriers in the U.S.  It's probably a miscalculation on their part, but that's my guess.

Robert

Miscalculation is certainly one way to think about it.  Verizon, for one, is too big to ignore.  Moreover, it took them six months to make a 920 variant for Verizon and T-Mobile, so I'm not sure it's just about CDMA, since T-Mobile is a GSM carrier.  In today's market, the more people you can get thinking about and talikng about your phone, the more potential sales you could generate; this means getting it on as many carriers as possible.

Miscalculation is certainly one way to think about it. Verizon, for one, is too big to ignore. Moreover, it took them six months to make a 920 variant for Verizon and T-Mobile, so I'm not sure it's just about CDMA, since T-Mobile is a GSM carrier. In today's market, the more people you can get thinking about and talikng about your phone, the more potential sales you could generate; this means getting it on as many carriers as possible.

The 920 may have been a test for CDMA payoff. And it may be why there hasn't been anymore.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

I've been spoiled by how pretty android looks now. I played with a WP8 Nokia the other day, and the interface looks extremely flat and one dimensional. I love the look of Android and Sense 5. I will admit though that WP8 is MUCH faster than any other operating system with the least amount of hiccups in performance (although my ONE has yet to lag or hiccup with anything).

In general it's a very functional OS, but not a very visually appealing one.

-Luis

Then you're not going to like the next round mobile OS updates because they're all following MS down the 2D road, from what it sounds like, anyway.

Then you're not going to like the next round mobile OS updates because they're all following MS down the 2D road, from what it sounds like, anyway.

I don't mind 2D, it's the flat squares the WP8 uses. It's just very bland to me, even though it's functional.

-Luis

I don't mind 2D, it's the flat squares the WP8 uses. It's just very bland to me, even though it's functional.

-Luis

I've actually been surprised how much I like the tiles.

Robert

I've actually been surprised how much I like the tiles.

Just do not drop your devices on them...

;)

AJ

• Like 1

Just do not drop your devices on them...

;)

AJ

Our home is tile in most of the public spaces.  So I have dropped many devices on tile, unfortunately.  With varying results.  :(

Robert

Our home is tile in most of the public spaces.  So I have dropped many devices on tile, unfortunately.  With varying results.   :(

Move away from New Mexico to a swinging 70s pad with shag carpet where you and your devices can cavort freely.

:P

AJ

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

i really like WP8, is smooth, and make the work that i want it. i use it for business, but my personal phone is a Android. i think if anyone can and share how jailbreak WP8, maybe it will be more interesting...