Nice and clear pic! Yep, that looks like clear at the bottom. Looks like one of those synergy sites where they removed a nextel panel and put in a 1900 panel for cdma.

are you saying there is 0 800MHz nextel panel's on there right? just ask b/c I thought the lower the freq the bigger the panel so then the Nextel panel would be bigger than the 1900MHz CDMA ones...

Talked to a gent today that works for a company that makes radomes. He said they run, like, 39 GHz. Must be able to carry quite a bit.

39ghz doesn't give it the ability to carry more data. All depends on the width of the channel and the modulation scheme they can pull off.

A MHz of bandwidth at 1 GHz is the same MHz of bandwidth at 2 GHz, 10 GHz, 39 GHz, etc. All other factors being equal, it has the same information carrying capacity. Now, that said, available spectrum is far, far more prevalent around 39 GHz than it is at those lower frequencies, so licenses/allotments around 39 GHz may be of much greater bandwidth. In other words, it may be possible to occupy 100 MHz of available bandwidth around 39 GHz, while that would be all but impossible around 1 GHz.

To use an analogy, available spectrum around 1 GHz is like Manhattan real estate. Available lots are relatively small in size and few in number, not to mention they will cost you a mint. In contrast, available spectrum around 39 GHz is like eastern New Mexico real estate. For the price that you would pay for one small lot on Manhattan, you could buy thousands of acres in New Mexico, where there is plenty of available land.

AJ

• Like 2

Thanks for the compliments on the picture. I've got lots more of various antennas in my area which I will post soon... you can even read the brand labels on the antennae in some of them! All taken with a Nikon D5100 and 55-300 Nikkor lens.

How about this one: does anyone know what the funky little antennas with the gold and silver plates around them are? They're only on two sectors of the tower; the sector with the long antennas angled downward is shooting off the side of a bluff.

Also, that big dish with the lighting bolt logo seems to be where many of the smaller Clear WiMax sites are backhauling to.

Based on the maps in the sponsors section, and my abysmal Sprint coverage near it, I'm certain this isn't a Sprint tower. I get a great LTE signal on my Verizon iPad, though.

DSC_01221.jpg

are you saying there is 0 800MHz nextel panel's on there right? just ask b/c I thought the lower the freq the bigger the panel so then the Nextel panel would be bigger than the 1900MHz CDMA ones...

To me, it's hard to judge scale. However, trying to scale from the size of the WiMax panels, these appear to be 800 sized panels. However, I do believe the white one, while similar size to the Nextel 800's, is likely a 1900 CDMA panel. A 1900 panel can be larger than it needs to be. But an 800 cannot be smaller than it needs to be.

The new NV 1900 panels are huge, much larger than 1900 needs. Because they also share with 800. I was able to confirm that this specific site from LTE's info in a PM, that this site definitely has two voice carriers and 1 EVDO carrier. So 1900 is definitely present.

Robert

• Like 1

Thanks for the compliments on the picture. I've got lots more of various antennas in my area which I will post soon... you can even read the brand labels on the antennae in some of them! All taken with a Nikon D5100 and 55-300 Nikkor lens.

How about this one: does anyone know what the funky little antennas with the gold and silver plates around them are? They're only on two sectors of the tower; the sector with the long antennas angled downward is shooting off the side of a bluff.

Also, that big dish with the lighting bolt logo seems to be where many of the smaller Clear WiMax sites are backhauling to.

Based on the maps in the sponsors section, and my abysmal Sprint coverage near it, I'm certain this isn't a Sprint tower. I get a great LTE signal on my Verizon iPad, though.

Those little panels are cute. Is there a local WiMax provider in your area? They are so small. They may be 3.3 or 3.5GHz WiMax. But they are installed side by side with Verizon. Maybe they are some 3GHz MW backhaul to other VZW sites? I've never seen ones quite like that. Although they do appear to have downtilt. Hmmm...

That bigger, longer panel is likely Verizon 700MHz LTE. Verizon has their LTE deployed in only one or two sectors on towers all over my area.

Robert

Those little panels are cute. Is there a local WiMax provider in your area? They are so small. They may be 3.3 or 3.5GHz WiMax. But they are installed side by side with Verizon. Maybe they are some 3GHz MW backhaul to other VZW sites? I've never seen ones quite like that. Although they do appear to have downtilt. Hmmm...

That bigger, longer panel is likely Verizon 700MHz LTE. Verizon has their LTE deployed in only one or two sectors on towers all over my area.

Robert

No local WiMax... just Clear. Right under that big dish in the second picture I posted is another set of WiMax antennas that are almost identical to the set in the first picture.

T-Mo and AT&T are really strong on top of this bluff as well, so maybe some of that is GSM gear?

No local WiMax... just Clear. Right under that big dish in the second picture I posted is another set of WiMax antennas that are almost identical to the set in the first picture.

T-Mo and AT&T are really strong on top of this bluff as well, so maybe some of that is GSM gear?

Those little gold and silver ones appear too small to me to be anything that I am aware of from AT&T and Tmo. They almost appear to me to be smaller than Clearwire's 2.5GHz panels. Which is why I theorized they may be 3+ GHz.

Robert

Those little gold and silver ones appear too small to me to be anything that I am aware of from AT&T and Tmo. They almost appear to me to be smaller than Clearwire's 2.5GHz panels. Which is why I theorized they may be 3+ GHz.

Robert

prolly for the CIA....some super secret stuff....lol

• Like 2

The reason those nextel panels are downtilted so much is their cell sites are tighter together than sprint cdma. When they come and retune the sites and remove some they change the downtilt to cover larger areas.

I have seen some panels like that before with the mesh on the edges. I believe they are nextel panels that will be taken down soon.

EDIT: The nextel panels that will be gone soon are much larger than that though.

I got curious and did a little more research. At the base of the tower there is a building with a big red Verizon sticker on the door, and the fence around it has placards with warnings about RF exposure limits at the site, and a placard that says 'Crown Castle' (if that means anything to anyone, maybe an OEM?).

Also, these little panels are only on 2 sectors of this site, and they both point directly at what I call 'Mega Towers' in the area which have loads of antennas on them. Your backhaul theory is probably right on. I'm not sure how valid the data at www.antennasearch.com is, but it shows Clear using 11,19 and 23GHz at this site, and Verizon using 10GHz.

Pretty sure that's verizon stuff. They installed the same things on my local verizon tower. I thought the mesh was filtering.

5777821985_c3082f26ec_b.jpg

Below, attached to the building is clearwire.

5769755748_908f72a8f8_b.jpg

This is as close as I can get - you can see they are the exact same thing.

Edited by irev210

I thought most if not all if those just used one of the major carriers.

I believe some of them started deploying a small 4G LTE Coverage Footprint in some areas and have some voice/data antennas on towers.

I took some pics of the tower (actually, two water towers) in Blackbob Park in Olathe KS. I believe this tower was listed as one with LTE.

I really have no idea if this the right tower, or actually Sprint's stuff, but I figured someone here would.

Based on what I've seen here, I think these first two might be Sprint. Dumb question. What are the antennas on top?

http://dl.dropbox.co...46/IMG_3731.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.co...46/IMG_3730.JPG

Clearwire maybe?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/71900346/IMG_3726.JPG

No idea on these.

http://dl.dropbox.co...46/IMG_3727.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.co...46/IMG_3728.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.co...46/IMG_3729.JPG

• Like 1

I thought most if not all if those just used one of the major carriers.

No, they actually have their own networks. Sprint uses cellsouth heavily for roaming in Mississippi since their native network is so small there.

You guys got me wanting to take pictures of my local tower, which is sitting on the top of a two story house a block from my house.

It's a co-located Clear and Sprint site, so I get decent 3G and 4G in my house.

• Like 1

You guys got me wanting to take pictures of my local tower, which is sitting on the top of a two story house a block from my house.

It's a co-located Clear and Sprint site, so I get decent 3G and 4G in my house.

On a house? And I thought having an entire tower take over like 3 or 4 backyards in Visalia was bad. But at least you get good speeds.

On a house? And I thought having an entire tower take over like 3 or 4 backyards in Visalia was bad. But at least you get good speeds.

Where I live in Jersey, a lot of the sites are build on existing buildings. Same goes for NYC.

went to my site today and took some pics. Didnt see any workers though although there was work done to the grain elevator (probably what i saw being done a few day ago) regardless i took photo's anyway and here is what i saw.

IMAG0071.jpg

IMAG0074.jpg

IMAG0069.jpg/albums/hh287/jnc3985/mcpherson%20tower/IMAG0070.jpg[/img]

IMAG0068.jpg

IMAG0072.jpg

IMAG0073.jpg

IMAG0075.jpg