Samsung Galaxy S4 [L720 Single Band] User Thread

z250kid

Got Mine yesterday. First thing I got was zagg screen protector. Its a little slippery on the back. I ordered a case of course its not in. I did not activate it yet but it lets you choose your preferred network. Like cdma/lte or evdo

Since no one wants to open a gs4 user thread, I decided to go ahead and open one myself. I went to sprint this morning and the phone whore in me held a gun to my head and forced me to get a gs4. So right now I have two One's on my account and one gs4.

The screen is actually a lot better than I thought it was gonna be and even though I have always hated samsungs pentile garbage screens this screen is pretty amazing, at 1080p you definitely can't tell that it has a pentile layout. I am not gonna do to many comparisons other than signal strength because truth be told, these are two totally different devices with two totally different approaches to wowing the consumer.

I will say this though, which has been stated already around the web. The daytime performance of the camera is amazing and its definitely better than the one but the one really does own it in mid to lower light scenarios so I will have to call it a wash. Video recording performance though as far as quality goes, I would say that they are both about the same but again the one excels in lower lighting conditions.

As far as features, its no contest, the gs4 is leaps and bounds ahead of the One and beyond anything else I have ever used as far as features go. Its almost intimidating and the learning curve I think is pretty high for someone that has never used a touch wiz device. This also means though, that a lot of these very same features will go unused by the average consumer which brings me to my next point.

In my opinion I think samsung should focus on fewer great and polished features rather than a bunch of average to good features. For a device to have better specs than the One, the One does everything faster with zero lag where as I am noticing little hiccups here and there with the gs4. With both phones sitting side by side the Once is simply just faster, opening the same apps at the same time, running the same tasks etc.......the One just seems so much more responsive. Now this doesn't mean that the gs4 is slow but you can really see how htc optimized sense 5 where as touch wiz doesn't seem that way.

Anyway, I am about to go out with my girl, I will make her do all the driving so I can do some signal strength comparisons because at the end of the day I think that's the most important thing especially coming from the evo and the gnex.

• Like 18

I hope the delay isn't too bad with the gs4, I am anxious to get my hands on one.

I thought you were happy with the HTC One? Changing so quickly?

Thanks for the removable SIM heads up. Galaxy S4 article on The Wall has been updated...

http://s4gru.com/ind...y-not-far-away/

AJ

If i haven't said it before, I'll say it now, I really love your Wall blogs/articles. So detailed and informative.

TS

• Like 2

Will someone please post a few Galaxy S4 engineering ("enginerring") screenshots to see if any screens or fields have changed since the Galaxy S3?

AJ

• Like 1

Will someone please post a few Galaxy S4 engineering ("enginerring") screenshots to see if any screens or fields have changed since the Galaxy S3?

AJ

http://db.tt/ps0DPWkt

http://db.tt/tYKwnSWn

http://db.tt/cXnYrRZw

http://db.tt/DaJkayWu

http://db.tt/eAgz4iE4

http://db.tt/NurzoqZg

• Like 2

Ah, good old Samsung "LTE Enginerring." I do not see anything that has changed post Galaxy S3. Does anyone else?

Will you post another LTE engineering screenshot? Give the fields 15 seconds or so to stabilize before you take the screen cap. In the screenshot that you posted, the uplink and downlink EARFCNs are not valid. I just want to see if those fields will populate correctly.

AJ

Ah, good old Samsung "LTE Enginerring." I do not see anything that has changed post Galaxy S3. Does anyone else?

Will you post another LTE engineering screenshot? Give the fields 15 seconds or so to stabilize before you take the screen cap. In the screenshot that you posted, the uplink and downlink EARFCNs are not valid. I just want to see if those fields will populate correctly.

AJ

I get the same thing after 15 seconds

I get the same thing after 15 seconds

You get "UL CHN : 83535 DL CHN 65535"?

AJ

Loving my S4. Upgraded from a Galaxy Nexus. Really liking the touchwiz refinements from what it used to be back on the Epic4g. I tried out an HTC One but it really just felt way too fragile to be a daily use phone, nor am I really a fan of Sense :(

Since no one wants to open a gs4 user thread, I decided to go ahead and open one myself. I went to sprint this morning and the phone whore in me held a gun to my head and forced me to get a gs4. So right now I have two One's on my account and one gs4.

In my opinion I think samsung should focus on fewer great and polished features rather than a bunch of average to good features. For a device to have better specs than the One, the One does everything faster with zero lag where as I am noticing little hiccups here and there with the gs4. With both phones sitting side by side the Once is simply just faster, opening the same apps at the same time, running the same tasks etc.......the One just seems so much more responsive. Now this doesn't mean that the gs4 is slow but you can really see how htc optimized sense 5 where as touch wiz doesn't seem that way.

Couldn't agree more.

I broke down and got a GS4 because I had to use an upgrade and figured it would be better to sell on eBay to recover costs to buy an unlocked One. I couldn't resist playing around with it - here are my thoughts:

Best SAMOLED display yet, but the One display without a doubt is better. I am smitten with the 5 inch display but I REALLY like the 5" Droid DNA display. I really wish the One came in 5".

Samsung still makes cheap feeling plastic phones. Compared to the HTC One or an iPhone, it just feels cheap.

I dislike touchwiz a lot but I think that's because I am more used to the HTC or stock Nexus layout. I am used to that, so it just makes more "sense" to me. I really hate touchwiz.

Having a microSD card slot is cool, i do like that feature.

Overall, I feel like the HTC One is a premium experience (even though I dislike blinkfeed). I don't really like some of the button layout options on the One but overall, the phone is smoother, more responsive, and feels more optimized on the software side. On the hardware side, it's a no brainer - the One screams high-end while the GS4 is just like a GS3.

Just picked up a black S4. Really like it. It came down to the S4 and the One. I'm a sucker for amoled screens and didn't want a fixed battery, so S4 it is. The screen is awesome,I really like how they fit a 5 inch screen without making the footprint bigger than the S3 or One...and you absolutely cannot see the pixels so it being pentile doesn't mean anything.

The microsd and battery are two features I have learned to take for granted over the years. I don't use multiple batteries in my Note2 that often but it is nice when those few occasions pop up. A second battery is cheap and if I didn't have one I wouldn't have been able to map on sensorly for 8 or 9 hours straight while listening to Slacker on a bike ride. The simple things of swapping a battery....

Sent from my little Note2

• Like 2