Network Vision/LTE - Upper Central Valley Market (Sacramento, Stockton, Redding, Eureka & Reno/Lake Tahoe)

iwalkthrowwalls

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have word in when the the UCV will be getting LTE and 800 mhz? The 3g can be really spotty where I live (Davis, California) and I was wondering if anyone had any insight on when it will be deployed here (I'm running Note 2). Also is it guaranteed to ever come here? I'm willing to wait a latest of the end of Spring, compared to other carriers the speed and coverage is way below par.

GMO' deployments have already begun. Full builds should begin in the coming months if what Robert said is correct. Think there is 3 GMO's around Davis. One up way north and two on i80 between Davis and Sac.

As I said earlier, Davis should be relatively quickly to deploy if the cities along i80 to SF are any indication. That is unless people at U.C. Davis starts a ruckus about how cell sites are killing brain cells etc.

p.s. if you really want to experience what Sprints network vision does for you... just drive a bit to Vallejo / nut tree / fairfield... those sweet sweet NV speeds and CDMA 800 1x coverage...

• Like 1

@lilotimz: So if I'm correct the GMO sites will provide LTE and 800 Mhz correct? If so is there any indication on when the Davis GMO's will go to LTE 800? I''m witnessing some lower coverage which may indicate that they are making changes :D. Also I really wouldn't be surprised if UCD does complain and make it a legitimate problem XD. At least Berkeley know's where it's at.

@jamesinclair: It still hasn't been announced but maybe they are laying off on announcing it until they have completed a fair bit, seeing as it is Sprint's largest market (this or Albuquerque, but we do have a much higher population density). My prediction is that Sprint doesn't want to announce it before doing something, so if in the chance that something goes horribly wrong they can't be blamed. California is already hitting LTE in major markets, and if we are Vacaville and San Francisco the Upper Central Valley will likely not take too long. Although what I'm asking may be contradictory to what I think Sprint is trying to do strategically, I still think it would be nice to get an estimated date/ I'm getting a little ticked off by the lack of speed and answers.

GMO's are Ground mounted Options sprint deploys in areas where cell sites can't easily get stuff up and running without major work being done.

More aptly explained here ; http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-340-sprint-deploys-special-ground-mount-option-network-vision-sites-in-some-low-capacity-and-high-engineering-locations/

In essence, these sites are low priority sites that are getting the treatment now. They get new NV cabinents, rrus, and maybe upgraded backhaul but not new Antennas. They will reuse the panels in place and if possible, activate LTE 1900 on it if backhaul is available. They'll completely redo the sites at the end of NV and upgrade everything to regular NV cell site status with LTE 800 / 1900 / 2500(?) and the rest of the goodies.

Basically, these sites wouldn't get any NV work till at least 2014 but sprint is starting them now in order to get some pressure off the legacy network. Since these sites don't require much work, it should light up pretty quickly compared to full tower builds. You MIGHT get some LTE love if the nearest GMO's signal reaches the parking lot by i80 if the downtilt is set at the bare minimum because the two sites seemed to be aimed up and down the interstate.

Anyways. Berkeley already has their problems. They haven't even pulled permits yet (to my knowledge) or begun any process down there! I've already betted it's going to be one of the last (if not the last) places to be upgraded (ala late summer to end of 2013) so I dont think you should want the same thing to happen to Davis :P

By the way, UCV is a big market but by no means the largest. San Francisco / Vacaville , etc are part of the Bay Area market whose market line ends at Dixon which is unfortunately literally a 2 minute drive from Davis!

Read the article. Only some sites are getting GMO treatments due to low priority and high costs for limited gains. Most sites are full builds in this market and are set to begin in the coming months / weeks.

• Like 1

Alrite thanks for replying! :D word got out that Sprint is preparing to buy the rest of clearwire (by my knowledge they have pulled 60 mbs in Phoenix and 160 in china). I hope that Sprint will hit in 800 LTE by march/april and bring in the clearwire services by 2014. We are very likely one of the highest population of Sprint users so that can guarantee to stop so many people from switching, and if they continue their unlimited data they can get a good amount of new costumers!

LTE 800 is not set to begin until Nextels iDen shutdown in the Summer of 2013 ala around June time frame. Until then, LTE 800 will not be launched anywhere. Only CDMA 800 1xA voice and LTE 1900. The hardest part of NV is rebuilding the towers from the ground up with new hardware and panels and that is when LTE 1900 is actually turned on. LTE 800 is mainly about slapping a carrier card in and possibly hooking up a few additional items but will not need to do extensive modifications on a NV site as the panels already support 800 (which is not turned on).

Anyways. CW 20mhz can probably easily reach 100mbps if the backhaul supports it but 60mbps is probably just a good feeling number so people don't get disappointed if speeds decreased or is not up to par with better backhauled sites.

Sweet, but ultimately do you know when I'm getting LTE with at least decent coverage?

Nobody knows for sure. We have no current schedule, just what gets accepted and what users find and post on Sensorly.

"Sacramento, San Francisco, Vacaville have already started getting the LTE upgrades. No data on the official launch. Whatever 4G towers are up now are working, but again the official launch has not come from Sprint yet.".

That is what a Sprint representative emailed me. I see that the reception sometimes sometimes absolutely shuts down, and then starts turning much better than it ever was. This can only mean that upgrades are coming, which makes sense as it UCV is one of Sprint's most prominent markets. He also told me that 800mhz will come by summer. I think LTE is coming quick!

• Like 1

Don't be so easy to trust Sprint representatives. They are more often than not less informed than us here and will just say anything to make the customer feel better. Vacaville / SF I don't doubt about NV upgrades but Sacramento is a bit more iffy. I haven't seen anything go through the permits yet (trust me.. i check weekly) but GMO's are being worked on so he might not be completely wrong either.

Anyways, we'll have it popping up soon enough.

• Like 1

Work is starting in Sacramento right now. There just aren't any towers complete at this time. If you become a Sponsor, you will have access to the NV Sites Complete map, which shows where towers are in progress right now in the Sacramento area.

800 Mhz CDMA 1x will be going live in the area, likely by summer. It is already being enabled on some towers in the bay area, however I do not believe it is accessible without a special PRL, and even then it is likely unusable. For now.

There will likely be LTE scattered all over the Sacramento/Upper Central Valley region by summer, however it will not be complete, and I can't even say that the area will be officially launched by then. It probably won't, but I will say there will be LTE available in many locations.

So I'm guessing that by summer my little city of Davis, California will be able to access some LTE possibly. Driving down Woodland, which was known (just to myself xD) for great 3G speeds. Now passing down by it it seems that 20 kilobytes is the average. Does this mean that they are focusing on strong 3G first and then LTE? Whatever the reason it is best for everyone to go to Sprint as of NOW. After NV ends they may not get throttle-free unlimited LTE anymore. :D

I talked to my friend today who works on towers for work and he said lte is being deployed now in the ucv, it will likely be 6 months before we see it though. I am turning in my resume Monday and I will hopefully be working for his company very soon. I will try and keep you guys informed about anything I hear.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Most fascinating! Though I kinda doubt 6 months. I'd say 3 months at the earliest as Samsung tends to make everything go "zoom zoom zoom"...

Not to mention they usually deploy LTE first and then 3G.