Tablet vs smart phone

smorcy11

So I bought an Asus Transformer back last spring. Used it for a while and then the newness wore off and didn't use it much. Then I won an Ipad Mini at a company Christmas party. It's pretty slick and I like it, however I'm finding there's not much I can do with it that I can't do with my phone. Or at least that I use it for. It's also wifi only, so it's use is limited somewhat.

Anyone else really like the tablets but just not find a need for them with the bigger screen phones of today?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Anyone else really like the tablets but just not find a need for them with the bigger screen phones of today?

Nearly the opposite. When I come home (or when I am in another location with Wi-Fi), my handset sits idle 99 percent of the time, and my go to device is my Nexus 7. On my handset, I typically use about 500 MB of data per month, while on my tablet, I typically use about 5 GB of data per month.

AJ

• Like 2

I have a hard time finding a way to fit my tablet in my lifestyle. I bought it a year and a half ago and once the newness wore off I just found myself reaching for my laptop 90% of the time.

I've been the same way... I really don't use the laptop that much either.

I got the Ipad mini free, so it's not really a burden but if I don't use it much, it's kind of like having $300 sitting next to me on the table, lol. I may just keep it for when I go on trips that way I have a much more mobile access to the internet. But then again, what does it do that my phone can't??

I'm about the same as AJ where I don't use my phone (or computer) as much than my tablet. I use my tablet about 90 percent of the time since I have one of those 13lb gaming laptops that sits on my desk and is only used to play games or crunch numbers if my tablet can't handle something.

I use Chrome browser on all my devices and use the sign in feature where my tabs are synced with Google so if I encounter a website that can't be ran, then I switch to my laptop.

Anyway, I use my Sony Tablet S pretty much all the time since it's light and easy to carry around the house and gets the job done. If I didn't have my tablet, then I'd probably use my Note 2 mostly since I'm mainly reading news sites or using apps. I just don't like to fire up my laptop to do simple things that my tablet or phone can do easily. Plus, I like to view everything as a whole, so the tablet screen makes it easier to read articles, etc.

Sent from my Rooted Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk HD

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up the Nexus 7 today. It's charging up waiting to be put through its paces.

Now I have a big laptop, a small laptop, a netbook, a tablet and of course my EVO.

Mission complete!

Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

The biggest asset for a tablet is its screen size or real estate. If you have a 7 inch tablet vs. a 10 inch. It is easier to hold with one hand and do something else with the other. You can accomplish this lying down on couch with your head propped up on a pillow too. Tablet's are are very customizible i.e. Android tablets. You can change the size of the news article widget or the size of the calculator or clock etc. Some apps are tailor made for a tablet and offer more features and functionality than a small screen smartphone. The User Interface is alot smoother and operates a little better than some smartphones whose U.I. is 2.2 or 2.1 or lower.

I wouldn't throw away my desktop or laptop yet. I think search queries are more advanced and plentiful when you use one of these. I would trust these devices more when I am dealing with sensitive banking transactions and need that extra layer of security: Encryption that is!!! You can troubleshoot a desktop and laptop, remove defective compotents, add new ones and diagnose problems. Can you accomplish this with a tablet? I don't think so. They also don't have to rely on other things to happen before it will do what you want it to: Say you want to use and app on your phone but network difficulties will not let you use it until the congestion or problem eradicates itself. With desktops and laptops: you can have other things open in the background or playing and you can continue with what you are doing.

In closing, the tablet is better because it does not have a walkie-talkie radio or phone capability and other network difficulties to screw your experience up like smartphones do. (I know: a tablet can make calls. But they are not specifically hooked up to a carriers network to do this. You have to use a third party app) I am not saying that tablets don't have their days but the experience is much better. Matter of fact turn on your WiFi and leech of your internet router or somone elses and you will see what I am talking about. Tablets are fun. I say if you get one: I SECOND IT!!!

I don't use my phone around the house much at all. I actually have 2 tablets, a Nexus 10 and a Kindle Fire running Android 4.1.1. The nexus 10 is used pretty much exclusively in the house. I use it for YouTube videos, magazines, games, pretty much everything. I use Google Voice too so I can even text from my tablet. The kindle is exclusively for reading, I rooted it and installed jellybean so I could get my play books on it too. Phone only ever gets used when I'm out since the Nexus 10 is too big to carry around.

I don't know but I'm having second thoughts with my Nexus 7. I just might return it.

If I'm hanging around the house I'm usually on my desktop. If I'm in bed and trying to fall asleep my EVO is all I need to check stocks, the forums, etc.

If I go away, I bring my small Laptop as I need a Windows based program for some of my vendors and client software. It's a rather small (11" screen) Acer that's only about 8 months old.

Just undecided I guess, I've got 12 days to decide.

I don't know but I'm having second thoughts with my Nexus 7. I just might return it.

If I'm hanging around the house I'm usually on my desktop. If I'm in bed and trying to fall asleep my EVO is all I need to check stocks, the forums, etc.

If I go away, I bring my small Laptop as I need a Windows based program for some of my vendors and client software. It's a rather small (11" screen) Acer that's only about 8 months old.

Just undecided I guess, I've got 12 days to decide.

For me, I use my Nexus 7 at home and at the office now. It is so much more convenient than a phone for me. In fact, now my Note 2 has been just relegated as a phone. I may not even really need a phablet anymore. I'm thinking a 5 inche smartphone would be perfect for my meaty paws!

Robert

This how tech wise me and my fam is. I have a Gnex my 6 yo nephew has a nexus 7 I gave him before that he had a low name tablet with ICS on it. My lil 8 yo bro has all the iOS electronics and wants a galaxy note 10.1 and wanna ditch his iPad 2nd generation. Of all the tablets in the house I still find myself using my Gnex only. I move around to much for a tablet. I'll take a phablet though:D

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

I returned the Nexus 7 today.

I just couldn't warm up to it for some reason. Maybe I'll try a Note 2 but I doubt it. My EVO LTE is perfectly fine when I am not near my computer or Laptop.

Maybe I'm a dinosaur, maybe I'm old school, maybe it's because it was more of a want than a need and I bought it out of curiosity.

It's funny, I have an EVO LTE, an iPhone 5 and a Nexus S 4G that are just for me that I switch around.

My wife on the other hand has a basic Flip Phone and last year I bought her a Vizio Tablet for X Mass as I wasn't even sure she would want or use it. Now, you can't get it away from her while she's home.

Different strokes for different folks.

For me, I use my Nexus 7 at home and at the office now. It is so much more convenient than a phone for me. In fact, now my Note 2 has been just relegated as a phone. I may not even really need a phablet anymore. I'm thinking a 5 inche smartphone would be perfect for my meaty paws!

Robert

The 4.7" screen on the EVO is perfect for me but if I stumble upon a Note 2 I might give it a rattle. I may even try trading the iPhone 5 on CL for one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

People think of me as an iPhone guy, and that's true, but...

Samsung comes out with a Note 10.1 with a HiDPI display, and I'm seriously considering because of the stylus drawing capability.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So I bought an Asus Transformer back last spring. Used it for a while and then the newness wore off and didn't use it much. Then I won an Ipad Mini at a company Christmas party. It's pretty slick and I like it, however I'm finding there's not much I can do with it that I can't do with my phone. Or at least that I use it for. It's also wifi only, so it's use is limited somewhat.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

yea I feel the same I loved it when I had my epic 4g phone.  Now that I have the s4 I don't really use it

I have too many devices. I find that, if I'm not on my phone, I'm on my laptop instead of my tablet. Of course, I have a Transformer TF300T, which has horrifically slow internal storage, so I don't really like to use that much.

As an aside, I can fit the iPad Mini in my pocket, and it's actually not bad to use as a two-handed device. It just lacks an earpiece and unlimited data, heh.

Ironically i am the opposite, I use my Note 2 more than my tablets and laptops, although in all honesty the Note 10.1 was used alot more when I had it. I replaced that with the Win 8 tablet laptop and don't use it as much. (guess I miss my Android tablet). Now that Samsung has made a (for all intent and purposes) a upgraded Note 10.1 in the form of the ATIV Q that has both Android and Wind 8 it may just satisfy my needs of a Windows productivity machine with Android for all the fun stuff.

• 2 years later...

Tablets are good to use because of their screen real estate. They can display things and execute programs a lot better then smaller phones. ( Not saying smaller 5 and 6 inch cell phones can not) Some tablets are optimized and have special apps or programs specially made for tablets. There are a lot of benefits of having a tablet. They are great to use for Google Maps and Google Earth. Watching videos, movies, making videos and gaming are good benefits. You can do online banking and see what you are doing without much difficulty. Social Networks look a lot better on tablets. So I would say the tablet has an advantage over a cell phone. Heck - Go buy one and you be the judge!!!

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

Edited by wizzeeb

I'm using my tablets more than my phones any more, especially now with unlimited on karma hotspot.

Using gvoice + hangouts, I can send/get my text and calls on any device, so it's just a matter of what I'm feeling at any point in time.

Primary phone: n5 or htc1m8

secondary phone; iphone 6+

Primary tablet: ipad mini2

secondary tablet: nexus 7/2013

I still believe eventually they will have native 'phone' features on tablets and then you can pick your favorite size and be done with it.

2 years after my last post in this thread and I ended up not using any of my tablets anymore. Even though they are still around gathering dust. I would have used them more if they had calling capabilities. The best oversize phone tablet device I used the most was the Galaxy Mega 6.3 but they never upgraded it. So now I'm back to the Note Edge and G Flex 2 as my main Android devices and of course my trusty dusty convertible windows laptop.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

Here is the correct answer.  Use Wi-Fi tablets while at home.  Cellular handsets can charge or sleep.  Use cellular handsets while mobile.  Wi-Fi tablets stay at home.  Simple.

AJ

• Like 1

Here is the correct answer. Use Wi-Fi tablets while at home. Cellular handsets can charge or sleep. Use cellular handsets while mobile. Wi-Fi tablets stay at home. Simple.

AJ

I buy only WiFi tablets. When I'm on the road and need my tablet, I turn on my phone's hotspot. Easy peasy.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 1