Change 4G symbol on android devices?

Synovialbasher

Did mine the other day. I'm gonna use the Verizon one for now, but may change to the LTE only one later. Basically, you pull the SystemUI.apk file off of your phone. You can find it in system/app/SystemUI.apk. You'll want to email it to yourself and get it on your computer. I used 7z to unzip the file. Once in the SystemUI.apk file, you'll click res>drawable-xhdpi and find the stat_sys_data_connected_4g.png file. Basically, you'll edit the name of the icon you want to change the standard 4G icon to. In my case, I renamed the stat_sys_data_connected_4g_lte.png to stat_sys_data_connected_4g.png. Changed the basic 4g.png to 4g_lte.png. I used Root Explorer to pull the file off and transfer it back onto my device. Once you're finished, you'll just simply copy the SystemUI.apk file back to the place you pulled it from, which would be system/app. Once you overwrite the SystemUI.apk file already on your device, it'll force close continuously until you restart your phone. After restart, you're good to go!

Hope that wasn't too confusing. Now if I could have someone help me fix the 3G/1x issue, I'll be all set! :P

4G_Icon.png

So you cheated and didn't decompile/recompile? ;)

It's not too hard.. Let me try to throw together a little guide tonight when I am chilling catching up on the DVR.

Sent from my little Note2

I had issues when trying to recompile the .apk. I was using APK Multi-Tool to try and decompile and recompile, but something kept failing every time. I had Java installed and ran the setup, but still couldn't get it to work.

So I did nearly the same thing Owen did, expect that I right clicked on the .apk, went to open archive [within 7-zip menu], then went to the location and drag and dropped the replacement file over the existing one.

So you cheated and didn't decompile/recompile? ;)

It's not too hard.. Let me try to throw together a little guide tonight when I am chilling catching up on the DVR.

When messing with only images, you never need to decompile. If you're editing .9 pngs, then its easier to simply decompile since the draw9patch shows up, but that's another story for another thread. :P

I personally like the Verizon LTE icon, I wish Sprint had one that was very appealing like theres (which is why I made a thread for that. Loll!). I just don't want people to assume I'm on Verizon because well, Sprint's cool.

If it's that easy to change the logo, then why can't we create our own logos and upload them in place of the 4G logo? I was thinking of the Sprint logo for 4G LTE connections.

• Like 2

If it's that easy to change the logo, then why can't we create our own logos and upload them in place of the 4G logo? I was thinking of the Sprint logo for 4G LTE connections.

Well, it's possible but every android overlay (Sense, touch wiz, blur) uses its own set of icons and sometimes numerous different ones (for example sense has 4).

Someone should work on a S4GRU one for our members. That would be cool. We have a couple graphic artists in our midst who could pull something like that off. :)

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

• Like 5

Am I right in assuming you have to be rooted to access the SystemUI.APK file. Or maybe Im not looking in the right spot because I cant find it

Yes, system files are locked down.

Someone should work on a S4GRU one for our members. That would be cool. We have a couple graphic artists in our midst who could pull something like that off. :)

I can mess around with your avatar/logo and see what I can come up with later today. :P

Sent from my Rooted Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk HD

• Like 2

Looks cool but I prefer the nonwhite background icons.

Same here, but there are a couple of issues. The first issue is that the "4G" part of the logo is black, so it would blend right in with the color on the top bar, which are normally black. I could change the text color to a gray or dark gray so it would show up. Other issue is that I don't have a larger sample than what I got from Robert's avatar, so when I try and get rid of the white, it starts to eat up the other colors, which in turn makes it jagged. :\

As of now, I'm trying to move the orange and green arrows out of the way of the logo, and moving them down so it doesn't block it too much anymore. If they are still are in the way, I'll make simple triangles, similar to the Honeycomb arrows, to shove underneath the logo. :P

Okay, got it transparent and lightened the "4G" to make it more visible. I have 3 sets of samples of the gray used for the "4G". Also managed to change the arrows a bit so that they aren't in the way of the logo.

Dark Gray:

Regular Gray:

Light Gray:

Enjoy.

• Like 1

Nice...love the simple look and the yellow accent. Not sure if the yellow throws off my eyes thinking the letter looks weird. I say just keep the font looking just like the logo on the website. 3 letters... S4G. You could drop the LTE I think as it gets a bit cramped. Or maybe do both versions?

Nice...love the simple look and the yellow accent. Not sure if the yellow throws off my eyes thinking the letter looks weird. I say just keep the font looking just like the logo on the website. 3 letters... S4G. You could drop the LTE I think as it gets a bit cramped. Or maybe do both versions?

Could do that. Trying to replicate the font used for the S but I don't think I have it imported into gimp2. I can get rid of the LTE if necessary. I want to get Roberts opinion on it. :P

I think the yellow is a nice touch but I think the font for the S needs to change. Picture looks better when looking at it via PC.

Managed to shrink the S4GRU logo down a good amount to where it's still recognizable. Here's what I got so far...

Any chance of trying white lettering and black background?

• Like 1