Samsung (Galaxy S3 or Note) or iPhone5?

jpkjeff

As of January 1st, I am eligible (finally) for my upgrade. I have read and researched exhaustively, and still am on the fence about which device to buy.

I have had Samsung Android phones as my last two phones (the Moment, and then the Epic 4G Wimax, otherwise known as the Galaxy S1 on other carriers).

On the plus side, I do love many aspects of Android, including the customization options and I've played with Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean phones and the improvements over Gingerbread (which my current phone will obviously be stuck with until hell freezes over) are impressive.

Yet I've also played with the iPhone 4S quite a lot (my best friend has had one for some time now) and I love that it doesn't freeze up, hesitate, or have any error messages...and it feels good in the hand, hardware wise), and have owned an iPad for nearly 2 years...so I do like the idea of adding a device to the same ecosystem.

Has anyone else upgraded to either of these devices recently, and if so, what are your impressions?

As of this moment, if I had to purchase a phone it would definitely be the note 2 by a long shot, as far as features the note is way ahead of anything else(and this is coming from someone that loves HTC). I have talked so many of my friends into getting a note 2 and every last one of them were intimidated by the size of it but after getting used to all the features they all say they can't see themselves with out it.

• Like 2

Personally, I've owned all three devices and I can't say with lesser bias that I prefer the GSIII.

I held on to the Iphone 4s for 4 months before giving it to my girlfriend, and then moved on to the GSIII. After about 4 months, my brother's phone broke so I gave him the GSIII and got my note.

My main impression of the 4S was that it was a very user friendly that offered ease of use, but with that came a major caveat. It was very restrictive in many ways, and data was noticeably slower on an iphone. (Except for push email notifications).

The GSIII on the other hand felt faster, offered the SVDO feature (call and browse at the same time), was the perfect size, Jelly Bean and ICS had much more features, and over all had very few glitches. I even got a better battery life out of it then the 4S.

The Note was at first too large, and all though I'm use to it now is still too big. It's also has much more lag in response time than the GSIII, and doesn't have SVDO. The S pen is definitely useful, but TouchWiz still needs to be touched up a bit for it. Ultimately it's a larger version of the GSIII with a pen and a faster processor that feels slower.

I still love the SIII and wholeheartedly recommend it, but your decision should really be based on your personal needs.

• Like 1

The Note 2 is definitely large and not for everyone. But I have not experienced the lag. It feels so much faster than my GS3, in every way. And the display is noticeably better too.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• Like 1

Note 2 if you can live with the size of it. Its a love hate thing about the size. You will love the size of the display but its a bit too big to reach all the corners with out work one handed. The pen is better than I thought it would be, never thought I would use it.

Note 2 its really about the size.

I've been an HTC guy since they were doing pocket pc's and I sold my Evo LTE back in Dec for the Note 2. My initial plan was to get the note and see if I was ok with the size and if not get the gs3..... I stuck with the Note. I've had no lags no random reboots etc. I mean you can browse and talk, do 2 apps at once etc etc... I was blown away by the features it had out the box compared to the Evo. Get the Note. :D

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Hi,

I have had the S3 for awhile and like it alot. On ICS, I would occasionally get the phone.android.x has crashed messaged while on the phone though it did not affect anything including the call in progress. I have not had the problem since the JB upgrade. I have not had any freezing issues either onit. I got mine before the Note 2 was out and would not mind the bigger screen but it funny how convenient SVDO is, which the note nor iphones at least on Sprint have. Its funny how without thinking you are the phone with someone and just want to look up something you are talking about and with the S3 you can do it easily.

My brother recently upgraded, in his mind he admitted the S3 is the better phone no doubt, but felt he had to go iphone just because wife has iphone and they have ipads.

Note2 by far! Had the EVO LTE, dumped it due to RF issues and memory issues. Wife has the GS3, great phone by all means but the Note2 just blows it out the water. Definitely not a phone for chicks with small hands or dudes with skinny jeans though.

I used to take my phone and put my sons iPod touch on top of it showing how small it was. Now my son takes my Note2 w/Otterbox and puts it on top of his Nexus 7 and says "Look at this!". He even puts his Nexus 7 in his jeans/pants pockets and he's not huge or hefty, average build/size.

I definitely wouldn't go with the iphone with its closed minded nazi minded ecosystem. You can't map 4G LTE with Sensorly on it. That would take all the fun out of things!

• Like 1

+1 for the Note 2. It's the fastest, most stable phone I've ever owned. It picks up LTE very well, has an awesome screen, and amazing battery life. I don't think I could ever go back to a 4" screen, or even a 4.5" one!