Device development due to merger between Clearwire and Sprint

rwhittaker13

So as most of you know, the FCC recently approved the deal to allow Clearwire, and sprint merge together to enhance sprint`s wireless experience. The merger between these two companies means that sprint will be able to take advantage of clearwire`s large swath of 2.5 Ghz spectrum, and eventually use it to enhance their LTE network. Also with this deal, sprint will become more competitive with bigger wireless companies such as Verizon wireless, or AT&T. Verizon is one of the carriers that has 10 x 10 Ghz blocks of spectrum deployed on most sites, meaning more spectrum available on these towers. With all this being said, Clearwire will now have the appropriate amount of funds to continue thier deployment of TD-LTE on the 2.5 Ghz spectrum, and eventually, sprint plans to use Clearwire`s LTE network to offload excessive data traffic off of Sprint`s LTE network, meaning excessive users on one LTE tower will be transfered over to Clearwires LTE network, where available, making towers less loaded down with data access. But in order for the offloading to work on phones, sprint will have to talk with phone manufacturers to create a dual-LTE phone with two seperate LTE radios (one for sprint`s LTE network, and one for clearwire`s LTE network.). But all this being said, one problem lies ahead of this possible LTE offloading plan. Sprint also stated that they are shutting down their iDEN network running on the 800Mhz SMR spectrum, and they will recycle it to be used with deploying LTE over the 800Mhz SMR spectrum instead, which will mean better geographical reach to more customers. But for that to happen, phone manufacturers will have to create an LTE radio that supports both spectrums of sprint`s LTE network, as well as a seperate LTE radio that will be used with Clearwire`s planned LTE deployment on the 2.5 Ghz spectrum. so The main question here is: Will the merger between sprint and clearwire be hurtful or helpful to sprint?

Edited by rwhittaker13

So as most of you know' date=' the FCC recently approved the deal to allow Clearwire, and sprint merge together to enhance sprint`s wireless experience. The merger between these two companies means that sprint will be able to take advantage of clearwire`s large swath of 2.5 Ghz spectrum, and eventually use it to enhance their LTE network. Also with this deal, sprint will become more competitive with bigger wireless companies such as Verizon wireless, or AT&T. Verizon is one of the carriers that has 10 x 10 Ghz blocks of spectrum deployed on most sites, meaning more spectrum available on these towers. With all this being said, Clearwire will now have the appropriate amount of funds to continue thier deployment of TD-LTE on the 2.5 Ghz spectrum, and eventually, sprint plans to use Clearwire`s LTE network to offload excessive data traffic off of Sprint`s LTE network, meaning excessive users on one LTE tower will be transfered over to Clearwires LTE network, where available, making towers less loaded down with data access. But in order for the offloading to work on phones, sprint will have to talk with phone manufacturers to create a dual-LTE phone with two seperate LTE radios (one for sprint`s LTE network, and one for clearwire`s LTE network.). But all this being said, one problem lies ahead of this possible LTE offloading plan. Sprint also stated that they are shutting down their iDEN network running on the 800Mhz SMR spectrum, and they will recycle it to be used with deploying LTE over the 800Mhz SMR spectrum instead, which will mean better geographical reach to more customers. But for that to happen, phone manufacturers will have to create an LTE radio that supports both spectrums of sprint`s LTE network, as well as a seperate LTE radio that will be used with Clearwire`s planned LTE deployment on the 2.5 Ghz spectrum. so The main question here is: Will the merger between sprint and clearwire be hurtful or helpful to sprint?[/quote']

I don't believe the FCC has approved the purchase as of yet.

I don't believe the FCC has approved the purchase as of yet.

You're right. They haven't. They've recently lumped the Clearwire deal into the Sprint/Softbank deal. The public comment period doesn't even end until January 28th. It is not approved yet.

Robert via Nexus 7 on Tapatalk

You're right. They haven't. They've recently lumped the Clearwire deal into the Sprint/Softbank deal. The public comment period doesn't even end until January 28th. It is not approved yet.

Can we re-title this story so it's not misleading?

Can we re-title this story so it's not misleading?

Changed. Its seems the crux to the OP is device development. So I changed the title accordingly.

• Like 1

Better title thanks. So would we be looking at devices that have the battery life of the OG EVO? or would we have one radio inside?

Well, if a device has a single radio that can operate on sprint`s current LTE spectrum, but the radio would also work with 800 Mhz SMR spectrum LTE(When deployed), which would impact battery life significantly. With future phones(If the FCC approves the complete merger) possibly having a secondary LTE radio that can run on clearwires 2.5 Ghz spectrum, software on the device should give the user the option to have only one LTE radio active at a time. If this was done, battery life would be on par with other devices that run on LTE. There may however be a slight bit more drain since LTE radios would be compatible with the 800 Mhz spectrum. And battery life is bad for some devices in the first place because some phones are forced into active dual-mode operation, meaning some phones(Mainly on verizon) connect to both EV-DO Rev.A, while connected to LTE. Calls are routed through the CDMA network, while only data is routed through the LTE network, as no mobile network operators have incorporated VOLTE(Voice Over Long Term Evolution) quite yet, but it is in the works. Sprint phones work a similar way when connected to LTE, by routing calls over EVDO, and only data over the LTE network. This explains why some phones eat more battery than others when it comes to using LTE. Edited by rwhittaker13

Well, if a device has a single radio that can operate on sprint`s current LTE spectrum, but the radio would also work with 800 Mhz SMR spectrum LTE(When deployed), which would impact battery life significantly. With future phones(If the FCC approves the complete merger) possibly having a secondary LTE radio that can run on clearwires 2.5 Ghz spectrum, software on the device should give the user the option to have only one LTE radio active at a time.

I am not sure where you are getting your info today, but it is not accurate. LTE 1900, LTE 800, TD-LTE 2600, or all of the above, it does not matter. The device will have a single LTE baseband modem, and only one LTE band will be active at any given time.

AJ

• Like 5

AJ took the words right out of my mouth. I was trying to figure out why they would need all the radios at one time. It's not going to use them all at one time so why the need?

Look at the S3 right now. No counting wifi or BT, there's 2 paths or as you call them, radios. One handles CDMA 1X on SMR and PCS. The other handles EVDO and LTE on both PCS and SMR bands. With just the one "radio" it has no issues handing off from LTE to EVDO. Even if there was an S3+ or something that came out today for 800LTE they would simply add SMR capabilities to the path that handles LTE. No additional radio needed. The same would hold true if Clear LTE was added.

I'm not sure where you get all of your information but I would suggest checking your info and sources. I know you are trying to help but it seems most of your posts are filled with information that is not correct. The thread then becomes everyone else trying to explain and/or fix the misinformation that is spread. It can become very confusing to users especially if they only read the first post or two and do not grasp the correct information.

• Like 2

I'm not sure where you get all of your information but I would suggest checking your info and sources. I know you are trying to help but it seems most of your posts are filled with information that is not correct. The thread then becomes everyone else trying to explain and/or fix the misinformation that is spread. It can become very confusing to users especially if they only read the first post or two and do not grasp the correct information.

To echo digiblur's sentiments, we definitely want to encourage members to contribute information. In fact, we need members to contribute information to keep S4GRU a vibrant, growing community. But especially when that contribution is a new thread, we need members to be diligent about the accuracy of their information. Plenty of other wireless focused forums are larger than S4GRU, but much of their discourse is based on unsubstantiated speculation or downright misinformation. S4GRU, on the other hand, has a solid reputation for knowledge and accuracy, and we want to maintain that reputation.

AJ

• Like 6

no mobile network operators have incorporated VOLTE(Voice Over Long Term Evolution) quite yet, but it is in the works.

MetroPCS has offered VoLTE since August 2012. http://phandroid.com/2012/08/07/metropcs-is-now-the-first-carrier-in-the-us-to-offer-voice-over-lte-with-lg-connect-4g/

• Like 1

What's the difference between clearwires td-lte and the lte that sprint currently uses? Would that complicate things?

It shouldn't complicate things to greatly, as the vast majority if not all LTE chipsets are dual-mode TD-LTE/FD-LTE. TD-LTE essentially divides spectrum in a different way and has requirements that are less strict for deployment carriers (you don't need paired spectrum)

Separate radios?..... Yeah of course... But radios are not grouped in the way you described. There will be 1 LTE radio that covers X frequencies period... Now through connection management they can control priorities of what to connect to first but that is nothing new at all...

At first the thought was the biggest hurdle will be a device fitting the number of antennas and other hardware for each freq needed would be the biggest hurdle, but that seems to not be that big of an obstacle as initially thought...

I hate to sound like a butt here but honestly there needs to be some fact checking before you post such things like this when you are coming across as if they are factual when they are far from it. Heck you could of searched here and likely seen threads/posts explaining this correctly already.

Appreciate the effort at hand though but this is the 2nd thread of yours I've red where both have a gross amount of misinformation in them. Sorry to be so blunt but I men nothing personal by it at all... Just do some research next time or lest cite sources you used to come up with the conclusions made and all...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2